Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
tlcausey

Air Conditioning

I have a 1999 Dodge ram 1500, my a/c compressor has stopprd engaging.
It cycled serveral time quickly then just stopped. It's not locked up nor does it seem to be low on freon, it was cooling fine when it stopped. Any ideas on this would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

My first question to you is how did you determine the system is not low on refrigerant? There are only a few options as to what would cause this to happen but that is the place to start. Check system pressures and go from there.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
tlcausey

vwhobo, I can't be sure about the refrigerant. I was going by the way it was cooling before it stopped. I've had vehicles in the past that ran low on refrigerant and I could tell by the way it slowly stopped cooling. My truck just clicked off. I didn't know if there was some type of relay in those systems or not. I'll check the pressure though. The gauges I have don't have the right fittings on them, are there inexpensive gauges available anywhere.
Thanks
Terry
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Define inexpensive. The cheapest R134A sets I know of are around $75. You can get adapters for R12 sets cheaper but I wouldn't recommend them.

Yes there is a relay in the system and that's one of the possibilities. But it could be the pressure switch, clutch, etc. It's really kinda hard to troubleshoot online.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #5
tlcausey

Quess I'll just have to take in to the dealership and have them take a look at it. Thanks for the help.
Terry