Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2004, 10:11 PM   #16
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
Yes and I fixed my mistake... If you read all the posts you would see that I said that the times were taken at 6000 feet above sea level, so take about two seconds off(a little less acually). The air up here is thinner, less oxygen means less combustability means less power. So acount for that and you have a high twelve low 13...No offense taken from your rather hostile post just please make sure you read all the posts before verbally bashing someone.

I never read the entire thread..so it's to thier loss if they screw-up

I was never verbally bashing you, just those stats.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:25 AM   #17
lutz
Top-Hat

Quote:
Yeah, my mistake. I was talking about one of the 2002 2.7 liter twinturbo v6 s4's, That makes for two major brain farts in one week.
No probs
Nobody knows all cars of the world (including me)

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:40 AM   #18
High Octane
CF Newbie

you wanna go with a nice winter car thats 4WD, go with the infinity G35. its cheaper than both of them, got decent horsepower, super nice interior, trust me youll get the bang for your buck.
High Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:42 PM   #19
mischa
CF Newbie

Quote:
...and the STi is a boxer 4, the same engine in many porsches with 18/24mpg.

So go for the STi, unless you can get a hold of one of the Badass inline six twin turbo s4's but i doubt it.

OKAY. STI doesn't share an engine with Porsche for one.

second of all bi-turbo V6 S4s are not too hard to come by.

back to the question of whcih one though?
Are you going for used or new, or a combo? new of each, i'd go for the STI because of the prices. used of each i'd go with the bi-turbo V6, previous generation, S4. If you're going for the V8 S4 be prepared to pay more. but you probably already know this.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:36 AM   #20
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

The first boxer engine was made in 1921, it was a flat two designed for a motorcycle made by BMW. In 1936 Ferdinand Porsche designed the first beetle using the same engine design as that motorcycle but making it a 4 cylinder instead. Then In 1948 Porsche was designing the Porsche 356 with his son but died shortly after the prototype was made. The car used many volkswagen parts, including the engine from the beetle with forged pistons that brought up the compression ratio to give it more power (still only had 40 bhp and topped out at about 85 miles an hour.) Porsche continued using flat engine designes in many of its vehicles including the 911 series. When the subaru WRC team was amking a rally impreza the guys at STI and an ex engineer from porsche were kicking around the Idea of a flat 6 but then put in a flat four instead. That WRC engine was then used in the first WRX, in 1992. So thank BMW, ferdinand porsche and the unnamed ex-porsche engineer for the current STI.

So I guess I was right in the first place and Porsche did have something to do with the STIs engine.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 AM   #21
mischa
CF Newbie

alrite it looks like you know a lot more about this engine than i do (i'd like to hear more about the wankel too!)

but does the STI that this guy can purchase have an identical engine to a certain porsche or is it just very similar
Old 08-17-2004, 03:12 AM   #22
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

Have you thought about an SUV? Just wondering... you can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited for about $35,000. But if you're looking for a sedan, go with a BMW 330Xi or an Infiniti G35 with 4 wheel drive. If you're not interested just go for an Impreza or Evo.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:26 AM   #23
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa
but does the STI that this guy can purchase have an identical engine to a certain porsche or is it just very similar

No, but its very similar, were talking small differences. Mainly those that have to be in place in order to support the turbocharger setup on the subaru.
It's like the k20a and the k24a, same engine minor differences in bore, stroke, etc.

Actually that was a bad example, they are to different, liters off by .4 is too big too ignore.

If you want to learn more about the Wankel go to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

Read all the sections and you'll have a pretty good understanding.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #24
Inygknok
El del Supra

www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/ <---- best site to know about the wankel rotary engine.

the only thing Porsche and Subaru share is the engine design, as in they both use flat engines. they each execute their own ideas on their own.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:28 PM   #25
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

[quote=moostang104314]Have you thought about an SUV? Just wondering... you can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited for about $35,000.QUOTE]

$35,000 msrp, about $25,000 with all the rebates...lol

Plus I don't think he wants to be replacing the transmission every 60,000 miles and having new brakes put on every oil change If you ever go to a general mechanics shop, ask them what they see when they see a Jeep come in, it should be something to the effect of, $$$$$$$.

~Blow your mind~

Old 08-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #26
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

That reminds me of a good story;

I was at my local porsche dealer the other day sitting in the GT3 making vrooming noises as I shifted gears, when a porsche FTCM walked up and we started talking. I said that I would love to have his job and work on porsches all day, but then he said hes lucky if he sees two porsches a day in the shop. I asked why and he said that "most of the cars that come in are Audis and mercedes", which are the other brands the dealer sells. But when I asked him if its because they sell more of those then porsches he said
"No we sell a hell of a lot of porsches, the reason the don't come in is that they are so damn reliable."

I had good chuckle at that then went back to carressing the carbon fiber accents in the GT3.

Last edited by Zalight : 08-24-2004 at 06:08 AM.
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #27
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
That reminds me of a good story;

I was at my local porsche dealer the other day sitting in the GT3 making vrooming noises as I shifted gears, when a porsche FTCM walked up and we started talking. I said that I would love two have his job and work on porsches all day, but then he said hes lucky if he sees to porsches a day in the shop. I asked why and he said that "most of the cars that come in are Audis and mercedes", which are the other brands the dealer sells. But when I asked him if its because they sell more of those then porsches he said
"No we sell a hell of a lot of porsches, the reason the don't come in is that they are so damn reliable."

I had good chuckle at that then went back to carressing the carbon fiber accents in the GT3.

Porsches are very reliable...ONe of the fewer very high end manufacturers up there on dependability (believe it or not, Land Rover is rated the WORST in dependability). Even ferrari isn't high up there...but yeah, Saabs,Audis and Benz' remain pretty either so-so or bad in reliability.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #28
S4driven2k
CF Newbie

If I had the option of getting either of these cars I would much rather get the 04 S4. I find the S4 to be much more classy and an every day car. If you are looking for a used car then I would recomend the S4 V6 Bi-Turbo. The S4 comes stock with 250 hp, but with about $2,000 you can have it pumping over 350 hp. The S4 is a sleeper. Those who are into mustangs and camaros have no idea what the s4 is. If you pull up to someone sitting at a light in a mustang and rev, they don't know whats going on. Then you run them like nothing happend.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:52 AM   #29
alex96
CF Newbie

STI way hotter

hey, i read ur question, and from a girls perspective..the STI, SO much hotter. the s4's remind me of like a neon...sorry.
alex96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:54 AM   #30
alex96
CF Newbie

then again...

then again..im not a big fan of audi's...mom had one, didn't go so well.
alex96 is offline   Reply With Quote