Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2005, 06:25 AM   #31
914 VR6
CF Newbie

And here's a comparison test of a Corrado with a VR6 against a couple of Japanese cars with turbo fours.

914 VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #32
Racer14
CF Newbie

im a sorry lil butt freak who doesnt know what this means
a little detail would work alot!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #33
*Ben*
CF Newbie

Talking

After having every engine size in the Corrado range,

1.8 16v, 1.8 G60 Supercharged & 2.9 VR6 i have to say that it remains ons of the funnest cars to drive! i love the VR6 engine it seems to demand you to weld you foot on the accelerator!!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #34
*Ben*
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro_driver
bump for that, a Golf with a VR6 will beat any equaly stock honda off the line anyday. VW's rule

I am 100% with you mate! a friend had a 2.2 VTEC Honda Prelude when i had my lesser bored 2.8 VR6 Golf and their wasnt alot in it even though the Honda Boasts nearly 200BHP!
VEEDUBS RULE!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #35
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ben*
I am 100% with you mate! a friend had a 2.2 VTEC Honda Prelude when i had my lesser bored 2.8 VR6 Golf and their wasnt alot in it even though the Honda Boasts nearly 200BHP!
VEEDUBS RULE!

are we leaving out a few cars?
-Acura NSX
-Honda S2000
Old 05-15-2005, 05:53 AM   #36
*Ben*
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
are we leaving out a few cars?
-Acura NSX
-Honda S2000

thats a bit nasty to the VR6 comparing a NSX to it! i am sure that one is an every day hot hatch and the other is a well super car on a budget! and i was mearley stating the two cars of the same time period! not all the newer cars! though i feel that an R32 would live with an S2000 any day of the week!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #37
google.com
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
I've heard often heard people calling the VR6 "revolutionary" or that " it's one of the most original piston engines ever made beside the w8" and all sorts of other praise for it. Whats so signifigant and cool about it? I was under the impression that it was like most other V6 engines, but apparently i was wrong...
what the hell is a vr6?????
google.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:46 AM   #38
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ben*
though i feel that an R32 would live with an S2000 any day of the week!
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Car.php?carnumber=14
http://www.modernracer.com/history/vwr32history.html

The S2000 doesn't have the horsepower to pull it through the quarter, but it thrives on short racetracks. It's a budget friendly sports car, after all.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #39
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
*sigh* so opinionated for such a young person...

The VR6 is special because it's a V6 that BOLTS into the place of a 4 cyl in the VW. While the HP figures are "nothing special" to you, the overall torque curve, flexibility, and driveability certainly should be. Remember, hp is only a derived number, it's torque that does the work. the 200 hp VR6 has 195 lb ft of torque at a very daily driveable 3200 rpm. The TSX you mention has 200 hp, but only 166 lb ft of torque, and it comes in over a thousand rpm higher! Yes, the Accord has 240 hp and 212 lb ft of torque (but that torque is at 5500 rpm! Not much in the way of low end, daily driver ability!), but it does it from more displacement, and a physically much larger and heavier engine (again, the point of the VR6 is to get nearly 3 liters of V6 ability in the space normally reserved for a 4 cyl engine).

Sorry that you can't really figure that out

So authoritive. I shall remember that next time I am toasting marshmellows over the torque flames of an open fire or when I go into a store and ask for a 100 ft-lb light globe.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #40
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
So authoritive. I shall remember that next time I am toasting marshmellows over the torque flames of an open fire or when I go into a store and ask for a 100 ft-lb light globe.

Ahh, Wally. My favorite assclown. You need to work less hard at being a smartass, as it simply isn't going to work.

Since we are not talking about units of light, nor units of heat, but discussing the twisting force that the crankshaft imparts on the rest of the drivetrain to make a car move, we are talking about torque.

"On modern day dynamometers horsepower is a calculated value. It's important to remember the dyno measures torque and rpm and then from these calculates horsepower. On the dyno it takes more water flow to the water brake to increase the load on the engine being tested. As the test engine's torque rises more water flow is needed. As the test engine's torque drops less water flow is needed. The dyno's water brake does not respond to Horsepower. Major adjustments to water flow are needed as an engine crosses its torque peak but none are needed as it crosses its horsepower peak. In other words the water flow to the brake during a dyno test follows the engines torque curve and not its horsepower curve. Torque is what twists the tire, prop, or pump. Horsepower helps us understand an amount or quantity of torque. (Torque + time and distance)"

http://www.revsearch.com/dynamometer...orsepower.html

The torque curve is what's important in a street car and lends it flexibility and driveability, and better accelleration when not driving around at the hp peak (most people don't or can't drive around at the hp peak on the street).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #41
Wally
I Know More Than You

Very good Googleman, but good dynos these days measure tractive effort....absolutely no real world idea. How about you grow up a bit an act your age. You are supposed to set an example not act like a petulant teenager.

Last edited by Wally : 05-17-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #42
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Torque is what twists the tire, prop, or pump. Horsepower helps us understand an amount or quantity of torque. (Torque + time and distance)"

where do you think the torque comes from? energy doesn't form torque ... chemical potential energy plus electrical energy gives thermal energy, sonic(?)energy and kinetic energy. The kinetic energy CREATES the torque when the moving piston forces the crankshaft around. Power is a measure of how quickly this energy is being produced (ie how much energy is being converted per second).
Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #43
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
where do you think the torque comes from? energy doesn't form torque ... chemical potential energy plus electrical energy gives thermal energy, sonic(?)energy and kinetic energy. The kinetic energy CREATES the torque when the moving piston forces the crankshaft around. Power is a measure of how quickly this energy is being produced (ie how much energy is being converted per second).

*sigh*.............. n wat causes those forces to be created? the pressure of air going into the cylinders, the ignition of the air/fuel mix, the vacuum of the engine, etc. etc. etc.

to be completely honest, all of those energies and forces, etc., whatever terms u desire to use, all are caused by the same thing, VACUUM!

yes, its the vacuum caused inside the engine that actually keeps the whole process going (and actually starts it). its just like being in space. the vacuum of space actually causes forces to.......... "happen", for lack of a better term. when u draft behind a truck.... that vortex of air is actually more vacuum! when ur mom (or wife) cleans ur damn room cuz ur too lazy to do it urself..... vacuum!!

so lets all stop being so anal about the diminutive facts that are not being mentioned and stick to wat tunderbird and chrisv are actually trying to get across the table.

wat would u prefer? a car that can accelerate when u demand it to do so and live comfortable? or a car that u need to push the hell out of it just to get on the highway before the big bad Mack truck runs over u and your family?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 AM   #44
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
*sigh*.............. n wat causes those forces to be created? the pressure of air going into the cylinders, the ignition of the air/fuel mix, the vacuum of the engine, etc. etc. etc.

to be completely honest, all of those energies and forces, etc., whatever terms u desire to use, all are caused by the same thing, VACUUM!

yes, its the vacuum caused inside the engine that actually keeps the whole process going (and actually starts it). its just like being in space. the vacuum of space actually causes forces to.......... "happen", for lack of a better term. when u draft behind a truck.... that vortex of air is actually more vacuum! when ur mom (or wife) cleans ur damn room cuz ur too lazy to do it urself..... vacuum!!

so lets all stop being so anal about the diminutive facts that are not being mentioned and stick to wat tunderbird and chrisv are actually trying to get across the table.

wat would u prefer? a car that can accelerate when u demand it to do so and live comfortable? or a car that u need to push the hell out of it just to get on the highway before the big bad Mack truck runs over u and your family?

You mean pressure? vacuum is just a lack of pressure, and pressure is just force divided by surface area. That force is caused by kinetic energy on a molecular level.

... and we always get anal about diminutive details, it's half the fun in these sort of posts where no-one is really learning anything anyway, so everyone picks on the tiny mistakes everyone else makes. We're all fair game.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #45
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
You mean pressure? vacuum is just a lack of pressure, and pressure is just force divided by surface area. That force is caused by kinetic energy on a molecular level.

... and we always get anal about diminutive details, it's half the fun in these sort of posts where no-one is really learning anything anyway, so everyone picks on the tiny mistakes everyone else makes. We're all fair game.

vacuum was here first in the universe.... yup, right before everything else. so thats where everything originated, in vacuum... in the vacuum of space.... then pressurized environments were created in order to support some life..... among other things..... so its thanks to vacuum that pressure even began to exist.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote