Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
twncam16

Full Spool or no Full Spool

A friend of mine recently bought a car that was mostly used for drags, but now is used driving round the streets. Wants to know if they should leave on the full spool, or change to a regular LSD etc.?? Advantages....disadvantages???
Old 04-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Full Spool or no Full Spool

Quote:
Originally Posted by twncam16
A friend of mine recently bought a car that was mostly used for drags, but now is used driving round the streets. Wants to know if they should leave on the full spool, or change to a regular LSD etc.?? Advantages....disadvantages???

Quite simply the spool is dangerous on the street. You didn't indicate if it was RWD or FWD but regardless of that without some sort of differential action you will find it quite hard to turn. Additionally you will have vastly increased wear on tires and drivetrain.

I'm assuming it will be used as a hot street car so some sort of limited slip would be in order, an open diff just won't put down much power.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote