Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
striderider
CF Newbie

...If my friends and I raced

Hey all you car experts, my name is Andy, and I have a question. My three best friends and I have all recently turned 17, and I'd like to see which of our cars is the "fastest." I know nothing about cars, so I'm sure you guys will need a lot more explanation.

The cars...
2001 VW Jetta (standard)
2000 Volvo S70 (standard)
2001 Volvo S70 (standard)
'04 Honda Civic LX (or maybe EX, i think LX, its the 4 door) **New**

All are automatic. I'm thinking some shorter distance, maybe half mile or mile...

I'm guessing the Civic would win, followed by the Jetta, with the volvo's bringing up the rear due to weight.

Any ideas?
striderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

whoever is the best driver has the fastest ride....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Well in a mile it'd basically be which car has the governor set at the highest speed. I think u'd probably wanna race the 1/4 to see which has best acceleration cuz thats what it sounds like ur tryin to decide. U could a) check information from such magazines as Car and Driver b) check the internet to see if there are 1/4 times listed for these cars or c) go out and race. but there may be someone here that knows.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

yeah...I suggest you check out what the car mags say...because unless you want to go to the nearest dragstrip and race the cars (which would be perfectly fine, btw...) then nothings really that reliable...theres just too many variables otherwise.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
StreetGlow10
CF Newbie

I'd say the Jetta would win, followed by the civic and the volvos. U'd hafta race them to be perfectly sure tho.
StreetGlow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:12 AM   #6
enron fever
CF Addict

rofl. racing automatics, eh?

i gotta say the S70's. they are pretty quick, while jetta's...um...aren't (i'm basing that off of a 1999 jetta auto i drove a few months ago...was supremely meh). i don't know much about the new civics, so i can only speculate on what it would place. i'm assuming they are all stock? (performance...extraneous plastic notwithstanding).
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
striderider
CF Newbie

Thanks for the input. We aren't actually planning on racing them, due to obvious reasons. I was just wondering if there was a clear cut order just based on general knowledge of cars. And yes, I did mean acceleration, and the cars are all completely standard. I'll snoop around on the net, see if i can find some times.
thanks
stride
striderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:01 AM   #8
KhanArtisT
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
whoever is the best driver has the fastest ride....
...but they're racing automatics, in which it doesnt matter how good of a driver you are...all you have to do is step on the gas
KhanArtisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:35 AM   #9
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanArtisT
...but they're racing automatics, in which it doesnt matter how good of a driver you are...all you have to do is step on the gas

well technically stride in the first post didnt say it was a straight race so u could have to be a good driver to win from what inygknok knew.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I'm suprised that no one has asked what's powering these cars yet...for all we know, the Jetta could be VR6 and the Volvo a 1.8litre...now obviously a VR6 would be slightly quicker than the Volvo

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:46 PM   #11
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm suprised that no one has asked what's powering these cars yet...for all we know, the Jetta could be VR6 and the Volvo a 1.8litre...now obviously a VR6 would be slightly quicker than the Volvo
No one really cares. lol.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote