Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
RaMa1r
CF Newbie

Turbo or Nitrous?

hey guys, lately ive been wanted to do somethin more to my 1996 TransAm, only i dont know wat to do.... i dont know if it is even possible to get a turbo kit for my car...and if so how much u guys think it would cost after everything? or i was also thinking of getting a complete Nitrious kit for my car aswell... and then i considered jus supercharging it too..... wat you guys think?

This image needs to be scaled down a bit or cropped. Thanks.
RaMa1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

I don't think it's possible to do a super and turbo charger setup. A turbo kit would probably cost about $3-500.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
I don't think it's possible to do a super and turbo charger setup. A turbo kit would probably cost about $3-500.

that has been done actually.... in the 2nd USCC there was a first gen MR-2 with this set up. requires a shitload of work though.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

um...my advice is to supercharge it...nitrous is worthless except in small bursts, and a turbo is really ideal for smaller engines...althought there are some larger engines with turbos, you see larger engines with superchargers more.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I highly doubt that there is a turbo kit available for your car...have you looked under the hood lately...barely any room for anything. Superchargers will run anywhere from $2,000-4,000 depending on brand. Installation will cost more, unless you think you can do the 8-12hr job yourself. You really can't run much boost because your LT-1 has something like 10:1 compression ratio so anything more than 6 or 8lbs and you'll start shooting rods out of your block.

Nitrous on the other hand only puts extra stress on your engine when you use it...blowers will stress your engine anytime you're in boost which would be quite frequently. Nitrous hits hard though, so keep it to no more than 100hp dry or 125hp wet.

In the long run the supercharger would probably end up being cheaper because you won't have to constantly fill pricey nitrous bottles.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
RaMa1r
CF Newbie

ahh, thx for clearin that up... it sounds like the supercharger would take me farther in the long run... how much hp u think that would add? and torque wise how much?

Old 08-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
Pac127
CF Newbie

so much more

the lt1 in your car has so much potential, you really dont need power adders unless you plan on doing some serious racing. you can run headers, get a performance cam, build up the drivetrain, etc... www.thunderracing.com has some good performance parts for 4th gen fbodies.
RS = really slow
after swap
RS = ridiculous speed
Pac127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
Sick88Tbird

a supercharger running 6lbs of boost, assuming you have a bone stock engine...would probably put you in the 350-375rwhp range and probably around 400lb-ft of torque. Now if you get a cam, headers, bigger injectors, cold air kit, oversized throttle body and MAF sensor, I think you'd easily see 450-500hp. Before doing anything, put an LT4 chip in your computer, other wise the computer will go into Limp Mode and start pulling timing and running rich because the knock sensor is waaaaaaaay to sensative. Even a performance exhaust could cause problems. Check out some F-body websites, I'm sure you'll find something on it.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:43 AM   #9
RaMa1r
CF Newbie

ohhh aite...thx alot for the advice

Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 AM   #10
Sick88Tbird

my mistake, stay away from 8lbs of boost on a stock lt-1...even 6lbs will be pushing the envelope...the most common kits for your car are 4.5lbs, not the 6lbs that I thought...was getting confused with the 'stangs

Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 AM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMa1r
hey guys, lately ive been wanted to do somethin more to my 1996 TransAm, only i dont know wat to do.... i dont know if it is even possible to get a turbo kit for my car...and if so how much u guys think it would cost after everything? or i was also thinking of getting a complete Nitrious kit for my car aswell... and then i considered jus supercharging it too..... wat you guys think?

I'd go turbo but it will cost substansially more than a nitrous kit...

I can't remember the company I read up on, but their bolt on LT1 kit makes over 600rwhp with two T3/4e turbos (at a relatively low boost..i believe it was 12psi or something close to that)...Cost : $7,000...but includes EVERYTHING you will ever need, including internals.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:15 AM   #12
Sick88Tbird

Hey thunderbird1100....I certainly hope that kit comes with dished 8.5:1 forged pistons! The kit may cost 7 grand, but I'm sure you'd get raped on the installation, engine tear-down and everything.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:36 AM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
Hey thunderbird1100....I certainly hope that kit comes with dished 8.5:1 forged pistons! The kit may cost 7 grand, but I'm sure you'd get raped on the installation, engine tear-down and everything.

I dont remember exactly the internals...just remember Forged, Forged, Forged, well, you get the picture. I think it even includes new rods and rockers as well as springs.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMa1r

Turbo kit here, and the turbo is sold separately... Jeeze:

http://66.70.20.245/store/scripts/pr...p?idproduct=11

You might as well just get a Vortech...

Though here's an intersting turbo LT1 '97 Camaro:

http://www.bytehead.com/~dunk/dyno.html

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:20 AM   #15
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
I s'pose your decision is largely contingent upon what sort of power you're searching for. If you'd be looking for constant power through your daily driving, then a supercharger/turbocharger (It'd be in your best interest to leave the narrowing down between super and turbo to the gearheads- I've not a clue which would be better, or even more practical for your car- Alls I knows is what I'm sayin' right hurr.), but if you are looking for bursts of speed off the line, if you were, say, a street racer, then nitrous would probably be a better course of action. For quick bursts of speed, nitrous is truly unbeatable. So I guess it comes down to your evaluation of what power you want and when you want it.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote