Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

ok im still trying to decide what car I should buy. I have 30k to spend on a car. I dont need a house cuz ill live in a base. I just want one badass car/suv that wont bring me a bunch of trouble. I like cars that are attractive. Some friends told me to get a 300zx for about 10 gs and spend the rest of the $$$ on making it fast but im more into the looks, something to pick up babes. that wont break down a lot. what should I get?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeprojectpat
ok im still trying to decide what car I should buy. I have 30k to spend on a car. I dont need a house cuz ill live in a base. I just want one badass car/suv that wont bring me a bunch of trouble. I like cars that are attractive. Some friends told me to get a 300zx for about 10 gs and spend the rest of the $$$ on making it fast but im more into the looks, something to pick up babes. that wont break down a lot. what should I get?

A good mountain bike...and put $29,500.00 in the bank to collect interest. You really don't need a car being in the military...all that you need is on base.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:53 AM   #3
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
A good mountain bike...and put $29,500.00 in the bank to collect interest. You really don't need a car being in the military...all that you need is on base.
LOL that is so true
Old 08-10-2004, 04:41 AM   #4
mischa
CF Newbie

Well if I had 30K to spend on a car I'd get a 930 in a heartbeat (Turbo Porsche). You can definetly get one for less than 30K and you can sspend the rest of the money on the repairs. It's a great investment too probably since they are becoming collectors items.

and they will attractive women, you will have no problem with that.

IF you want something newer you can just get an e36 m3 and spend all the extra money on suspension and such. I'd also consider Audi S4s or 350Zs.

For an AT, a droptop 500 benz works for attracting women and being a fun convertible too.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 AM   #5
mischa
CF Newbie

Quote:
...and put $29,500.00 in the bank to collect interest.

does keeping money in the bank to let interest collect really gain much money? i thought it just covered for inflation.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

Really mature idea aobut the puting the money in the bank. but not the kind of answer I expected. Live life to the fullest man cuz after you die you wont be spending any money.

I really like the idea on the old porshe though. I found a nice 1984 porsche 911 turbo on the net going for about 30k But im still thinking about getting a prowler for about 35 or 40 getting the 30k and financing the rest. any other sugestions....
Old 08-10-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

whats an e36 m3 ? what do u think about a boxster and kind of droptop 500 benz were you thinking of the kompressor?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
what do u think about a boxster and kind of droptop 500 benz were you thinking of the kompressor?

The Boxster is apparently great to drive, but unfortunately it looks like it goes backwards. They seem to have welded two fronts together. Also, it's very camp. Almost as camp as any Mercedes convertible. If you're joining the army, the last thing you want is a gay car.
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
whats an e36 m3 ? what do u think about a boxster and kind of droptop 500 benz were you thinking of the kompressor?

BMW M3 e36
Old 08-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #10
SuperJew
I like pie.

E36 M3:

E39 M3:

I prefer the E36...

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #11
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

man this is a tough decision. First of all I know you really dont need a car in the military but heres my story. When I signed up and swore in the military I was like not poor but middle class I guess. I still havent gone to bootcamp because of the wait. Ive been waiting nearly a year to get in. My dad made it big and he has a lot of money now and he said he would buy me any car along the lines of 30k when I graduate bootcamp. I know I could probably squeeze maybe 5k + out of him but heres what Im thinking: 1984 Porsche 911 turbo, 2002 porsche boxster, bmw z4, audi TT conv, prowler or an 04 bmw 325i. Im kind of leaning more towards the prowler but i dunno..... a lot of bad reviews on the prowler....
Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #12
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Really mature idea aobut the puting the money in the bank. but not the kind of answer I expected. Live life to the fullest man cuz after you die you wont be spending any money.

Just the answer I expected...how ironic! While in the Army...have fun driving your $30k car...especially while you're deployed...

Oh...and there's no garages in the Army barracks to park your prize car. Army bases are pretty dusty too. Plan on washing it quite often! Remember, if not deployed, your work and living quarters are probably no more than a 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart!

Old 08-10-2004, 07:50 PM   #13
ILdriver
CF Newbie

celica gt-s

toyota celica gt-s

its fast and sporty style and will get you bunch of babes
Old 08-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

Quote:
Just the answer I expected...how ironic! While in the Army...have fun driving your $30k car...especially while you're deployed...

Oh...and there's no garages in the Army barracks to park your prize car. Army bases are pretty dusty too. Plan on washing it quite often! Remember, if not deployed, your work and living quarters are probably no more than a 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart!

come on you must get a day off or something. Its either getting a car or blow all my money on booze and strippers. See it all depends on how you look at it. If you see cars as a tool for transportation yes youre right that I might not need it being in the military. But I see cars as more than that. For me a car represents who you are and the attention you get and joy of driving for fun is a pleasure that I would most likey want to experience.

Last edited by freeprojectpat : 08-10-2004 at 09:53 PM.
freeprojectpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
come on you must get a day off or something. Its either getting a car or blow all my money on booze and strippers. See it all depends on how you look at it. If you see cars as a tool for transportation yes youre right that I might not need it being in the military. But I see cars as more than that. For me a car represents who you are and the attention you get and joy of driving for fun is a pleasure that I would most likey want to experience.

If it is a car that "makes you", then by all means...get your dream car...of course you'll have to be sitting in it to "be who you are" in the parking lot of the "Be all you can be" military organization. You can be an Army of One sitting in your car.

But just think...you can pass by it daily in the parking lot and say to yourself, "There sits my $30k! Ain't it pretty!" And the next day you'll have to say, "There sits my $30k! Oops...it's now lower than that...but isn't she pretty!" And just think...in 4 years, should you decide to exit the Army, you'll have a car that you paid $30k for, that made you the person you are, but now is worth half what you paid...if you're lucky!

Or...you could take my advice and after 4 years have more than $30k and do something better with it then...who knows, you may like a different car by then.

You could even buy an inexpensive 3 series BMW for less than $5k (a really nice one for that amount btw) and still have lots of cash left to play with later.

But I can see the money you don't even have yet is burning a hole in your pocket.