Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

My beef with Too fast, Too furious.

I was always into cars but when I had just started getting into street racing I noticed it was sort of underground, not very under ground, but it wasn't popular. Then about 6 months later 2f2f came out and all of the sudden everybody started buying racing rims, hood scoops and the worst of all; big, fat, colored windsheild wipers. Suddenly it was considered an upgrade to buy a muffler tip at pep boys and put it on you car, it provided no power gains and a crappy tinny sound, but you saw eveybody doing it. People started showing up at the races and i'd look at the line of cars and see:
civic,civic,civic,eclipse,civic,tiburon,civic,civi c. You get the point.

It became commonplace to see a 50 year old woman driving an automatic neon with exhaust. I soon developed an intense hatred for these people who dared call themselves tuners or street racers. I couldn't under stand the sudden upsurge, the realized its all because of that horrible movie. "I live my life a quarter mile at a time"... , that damn retard, I promise you that he couldn't shift properly, his humongous man boobs would get in the way. And paul walker? he has to have cerebral paulsey, He can't form words correctly and is definatley the worst actor ever.

Some would say that 2f2f has breathed fresh life into racing and the tuner culture, but all it did was force the mentally handicapped to put an intake on their taurus. And if that's the new life, id rather have it a small underground culture, than a huge above ground meeting of the stupidest people on four wheels.

Oh, wow, it feels so good to vent all that!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Did you get into it before 2F2F, but after TFATF??

I get really frustrated by the whole 'sheep in wolf's clothing' thing. Stick-on race fuel filler caps, neon lights, nasty, ugly aftermarket alloy wheels that don't suit the car and wreck the handling, a shopping list of parts written all down the front wing, stupid, massive sun visors, stripes, and windows so dark that the scrote inside has to wind them down to see out...

Will someone show these people how the mechanics of a car works? And then explain to them why stickers don't really make their car any faster?

Shame on you for even watching 2F2F, by the way: I only made it 10 minutes into the first one before switching it off in disgust.
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Pac127
CF Newbie

ic

i see both of your points and cant say i really disagree. but i do however like the second movie. mainly because it shows how muscle annihilates ricers, which made my day cause i knew tons of import guys would watch the movie
RS = really slow
after swap
RS = ridiculous speed
Pac127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Anyone that thinks street racing started with (or became more common after) the Fast and the Furious (either movie) is a newcomer to the scene themselves. Hell it didn't even start the Ricer movement, it only glorified it on film. Street racing has been around fairly large for decades, and the Ricers that populated the film were popular since at least the early '90s.

My beef with the movies is the same as most every car movie hollywood ever produced: lack of reality in car physics. A supposedly 10 second race car that took a minute of screen time to race a quarter mile and shifted up at least 10 times during that minute. That's just one example.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Diomedes
CF Newbie

Know what I'm sick of? People complaining about that movie, and the impact it's had on the "Underground". Race the rice-boys, beat them, and send them home. Stop whining, because it makes you sound like a loser.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
but all it did was force the mentally handicapped to put an intake on their taurus.

Lol. I hate that movie as well. The part where Vin Diesel made a comment about how Paul Walker doesn't doubleclutch UPSHIFT really pissed me off. I could tell most of the cars had STOCK suspension. At least they got the engine names correct. It would be pretty sad if they failed at that.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Anyone that thinks street racing started with (or became more common after) the Fast and the Furious (either movie) is a newcomer to the scene themselves. Hell it didn't even start the Ricer movement, it only glorified it on film. Street racing has been around fairly large for decades, and the Ricers that populated the film were popular since at least the early '90s.

My mistake, I meant the first movie and accidently said the second. I was into racing before TFATF

I know didn't start the movement but you have to admit that it made it much more mainstream. You can not deny that if that movie didn't come out half the people out there wouldn't be involved with cars in anyway. And yes while it has been around for a long time, it was never so popular as to infiltrate as many aspects of life as it has.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #8
mischa
CF Newbie

maybe the amount of people who bought sun visors and chrome windshield wipers increased, but the amount who joined the real performance people probably didn't increase much. i knew of streetracing all over the place before tthe movie, and since, it has seemed to decrease due to cops knowing about it more. that's my opinion.'
Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Thats exactly my point. But the real problem is that they bring a bad image and connotation to street racers. People think were all reckless and irresponsible. But we just like to go fast, and most of the true performance crowd are actually skilled and safe to drive a fast car on the streets. My problem comes in when those who think that they can drive fast try to and end up hurting others.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #10
lutz
Top-Hat

That movie (I only saw the first one) is big entertainment. The only real part of this movie is about to trick out the cops. I like it, why not. It just reminds me of the early nineties where streetracing was normal in Germany (where I live) - including me. It was like VW vs Vauxhall , or Benz vs BMW or Audi against the rest of the car world. We made slalom driving how to find out wich car has the best suspension. On the other hand, we had no neon lightss, but more headlights. What a great time!

Have A Drink On Me!

lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:14 AM   #11
DanniR
CF Newbie

Location: In a house that's parked next to my car. (Keflavik, Iceland)
It's a movie for crying out loud! It's supposed to be unrealistic and just have some story for people to enjoy! Poeple who can't watch TF&TF or 2F2F because it's to unreal are sad. That's like not being able to watch Resident Evil or something because there is no way that people can turn into zombies in real life.....

Last edited by DanniR : 08-12-2004 at 02:16 AM. Reason: typo
DanniR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 AM   #12
enron fever
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac127
i see both of your points and cant say i really disagree. but i do however like the second movie. mainly because it shows how muscle annihilates ricers, which made my day cause i knew tons of import guys would watch the movie
i saw tfatf in the theatres a few days after it came out and when vin diesel crashed that charger is damn near yelled "You ****ing Moron!" pisses me off that the only 3 "cool" cars in both movies are all totaled. bleh.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:46 AM   #13
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Diomedes, I must agree. For Zalight, as much as they may frustrate you by thinking their wiper blades make their car fast, you are a street racer, correct? And as far as I know, street racers race for money. I certainly wouldn't complain about taking the cash of 5 civics every night you race... it seems like an awfully easy payoff. Understandably, you'd like some real competition, but I guarantee that beating the nameless rabble of Civics will at least scarcely clutter your wallet, and also earn yourself a commendable reputation. So don't complain. Race. Win. Bank.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:50 AM   #14
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

yeah I get that its just a movie for entertainment only, but it still erks me a little. I guess it could just be that I hated the actors, storyline, directing, promotion, you know, everything that constitutes a movie.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:54 AM   #15
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

And yeah, I do race for money sometimes, but those type of people won't race. They just stand next to their cars trying to look as badass as possible. If they did let me kick their ass I would be fine with them but they are to afraid to mess up their body kit and scratch their paint job to race.