Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
motorhead399
CF Newbie

restoration (please answer)

ok lets put it this way im 14 im intrested in cars i wnt to restore an old muscle car and it needs to be good a burn outs was an easy(optional) cheap way to restore that type of car and whats the best car for restoring?

please answer
motorhead399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead399
please answer

Wouldn't posting a question assume you want an answer?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

If I was 14 I would never post my age. You lose credibility that way.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:37 AM   #4
motorhead399
CF Newbie

i was saying pleaase answer because sometimes people just dont bother looking

and ya im 15 in a month so im getting started now
Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 AM   #5
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

You need to be more specific.... You can restore any car you want to. You need to get the car first. If you dont know what to get why dont you get a 5.0 mustang, theyre cheap, easy to find and tons of fun. Yeah it can burnout
Old 08-12-2004, 03:22 AM   #6
motorhead399
CF Newbie

well thanks for the help but could u tell me the year of that good mustang and around what would we be talking price range for a crappy one
Old 08-12-2004, 05:57 AM   #7
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

Quote:
well thanks for the help but could u tell me the year of that good mustang and around what would we be talking price range for a crappy one
ok heres an example http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=24

not bad for 2 grand. 5.0 mustangs have a V8 5.0 liter engine, to compare a 2003 mustang gt has a 4.6 liter. they made 5.0s in the late 80s. IF you want a cheap and easy car to work on this would be your best bet. If you want to know what you can do to hook it up go to a supermarket and buy a mustang magazine they always have info on 5.0s. Finding a 5.0 is easy since theyre a dime a dozen just make sure u get a 5.0 and not just an 87 v6 mustang thinking that its a 5.0 (actually know someone who did) If you put a lot of time, effort and $$ you will have a sweet fast ride and have it looking like this http://wcfords.com/news/blu50stang_in_50/mag3.jpg go to a supermarket grab an autotrader and look for 5.0s youll prob find cheaper ones and in your area.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
motorhead399
CF Newbie

thanks that was alot of help now im going to start saving later i need a job
Old 08-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
Bill in SD
CF Newbie

I've been working on classic cars for a while. As others have posted pick the car you like the best and go from there but use some caution.Here some tips:
1. You need a job for sure. At your age that may be tough. See if anyone in your area restores the type of cars you like and see if you can get hired on as a shop boy, just cleaning up around the place and changing oil. Again with your age this might be a problem. Restoration work costs a lot.
2. As mentioned this hobby costs a lot especailly if you want to do it right. The more you can do yourself the better off you will be. See if your school has an automotive shop class. It's free education, take it while you can cuz trade schools are not cheap either. Read books, watch videos, and surf the web about how to do restoration work. Lean how to weld. Again the more you can do the less you have to pay in labor for someone else to do.
3. Check on what types of cars you plan to rebuild and see how much thta sytle/model has cost other people. This will give you a good idea of how much you plan on spending or saving up to spend. I rebuilt the engine in my 1958 Plymouth. Right now I have around $4000 in just the engine. Plus another $1000 in the transmission. It still needs upholstery and paint. It's going to cost me $800 to redo the interior and paint will run around $500 if I do it myself. From past restorations an average car paint job runs around $3000. Normal fees are $150 per panel. A panel is a door or a hood etc. And that is jsut for the basic color plus clearcoat. It you want a show car you may need 10 plus coats of color plus 6 or more coats of clear. The top of the line hotrods have paint jobs that run well over $30,000. Be realistic with what you plan on doing.
4. Make sure you have enough time. Your young yet so that should be okay. I've been trying to finish up my car for around 6 years but other peoples car go ahead of mine plus my full time job. And of course I have kids of my own to take care of. No matter how much time you think you need to do something plan on double the amount as things will always come up that you didn't think about.
5. If you can't do something don't be afraid to ask for help. If you don't know how to rebuild an engine its better to pay someone else to do it that you try it, thinking you did it right only to blow up the engine. Then not only do you have to pay someone else to fix it (if it can be fixed) but you just wasted how much time and money on parts.
6. See what model you are getting. This applies more to the 1950's cars but is true for any year car. A 1957 Chevy is a very cool car but a 4 door sedan will not be as worth as much as a 2 door hard top even though they will probably cost about the same to restore.
7. By the best condition car you can afford and go from there. If you find a shell of a muscle car, say a 69 Dodge Charger, that is just the frame and body and the guy wants $1000 it would be wise to save up and buy one for $5000 that has all of the parts. Cars are actually worth more in parts than in whole. By the time you track down a 440 magnum and all of the other parts to fix the shell you could have done a lot to the more expensive car that has most of the parts.
8. Over all be realistic. You not going to have it restored in a weekend. Plan on a year at a minimum and that's if you put all of you other moeny towards it and can do all of the work yourself. At a minimum plan on spending around $10,000 to restore a car. You might luck out and find one that only needs to have the front seats redoene the paint polished up but the seller will probably be asking a lot for it. Check out Deals on Wheels or other same type mags. See what the car you want normally sells for. 1969 Dodge Chargers can sell for $25,000 for nice condition ones. A buddy of mine has one for sale for $3000 but it would need to be restored but is about 95% complete.
Don't get let down by this but it's the truth. And those $200 transmission "rebuilds" you may see on TV ads etc...don't buy into things like that. Those "rebuilds" are nothing more that changing the tranny fluid and filter, installing a new pan gasket and adjusting the bands or clutch. It's not a cheap hobby but is a rewarding experience. Good luck.
Bill in SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
xX1968MustangXx
Banned

Thumbs down Do you know what a Rice Rocket is?

Ya...your BMW looks like a RICE ROCKET...make it atleast look like it has MUSCLE and not a muffler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 062.jpg (71.9 KB, 12 views)
xX1968MustangXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX1968MustangXx
Ya...your BMW looks like a RICE ROCKET...make it atleast look like it has MUSCLE and not a muffler.
Who the hell are you talking too... And why do you have a picture of a ratty old Windsor attached? Enquiring minds want to know.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #12
snapper69
CF Newbie

Cheap muscle cars

Quote:
ok lets put it this way im 14 im intrested in cars i wnt to restore an old muscle car and it needs to be good a burn outs was an easy(optional) cheap way to restore that type of car and whats the best car for restoring?

please answer

If you were to go with a cheap somewhat musclecar (they could be) go with a late 70's early 80's Olds Cutless or Pontiac Lemans or Grand Prix. They are easy to work on and you can get any engine for these a dime a dozen. ie 305's, 350's etc. And they are getting cheaper by the day. Just be sure to thoroughly check it over first. Places like any of the floor and frame weld spots. If you want to spend a little more go for the IROC-Z. I have an 89 5 speed that's pushing just about 350 horse. It's still fairly cheap on gas (about 500 kms on the hwy). The only thing is it's TPI and they can be difficult to work on if you are not sure of what you are doing. One last thing, if you look at Camaro's, make sure you know what you are doing. Unibodies like to hide rust. So look carefully. Especially the 3rd gens, check out the strut mounts, inner rear wheel wells and around the rear bumper underneath. Hope this helps you some.

Last edited by snapper69 : 01-24-2005 at 01:15 AM.
snapper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
xX1968MustangXx
Banned

ROFL...shows how much u know... its a 289 High Performance, and its my cars engine... and i was talking to that bavaria dude
xX1968MustangXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX1968MustangXx
ROFL...shows how much u know... its a 289 High Performance, and its my cars engine... and i was talking to that bavaria dude
And a 289 is a... short deck Windsor. So who did we show how much they know?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 AM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

Why are people so full of it around here?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote