Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2004, 06:11 AM   #1
freeprojectpat
CF Newbie

extra turbo

If I got a 89 porsche 911 turbo, how much money would adding another turbo (hence twin turbo) cost? I know you might not have the exact pricing but a rounded generalization maybe? anyone know how much hp it would add or how much hp the single turbo adds to begin with....maybe ive asked too much.... anyone care to help
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

In my opinion, having a twin turbo setup would be even worse than a single. The turbo lag would be incredible. Stick with the single turbo, or get a bigger one.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:45 AM   #3
mischa
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
In my opinion, having a twin turbo setup would be even worse than a single. The turbo lag would be incredible. Stick with the single turbo, or get a bigger one.

Twin turbos have less turbo lag than single turbos. A twin turbo is a small turbo feeding into a larger one to reduce lag and increase power.

As for the porsche, that's one of my favourite looking cars (930 with a whale wing, right?) ever. From what I hear it drives quick already, although sometimes hard to control with all the weight in the rear.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:15 AM   #4
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

unless your gonna spend big to have an engineer do it? stick with the larger single idea! theres alot more to consider than just the price of a second turbo.
gotta ask if you wanna sequential set up or not and all sorts? theres more to work out with a new twin set up, when you could just bolt on a bigger turbo and reap the power rewards.
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
Abless, bigger isnt better............ huh sounds like some perverted joke......... but seriously the bigger the turbo isnt always the best solution. Turbos should be carefully matched for the car. I know lots of kids that bought big turbos that didn't work for the ride they wanted to placve them in and end up selling them online for 1/3 their cost.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa
Twin turbos have less turbo lag than single turbos. A twin turbo is a small turbo feeding into a larger one to reduce lag and increase power.

That is a sequential twin turbo setup, right?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Well since nobody asked the question i will. Do u want the car to have a plain old twin turbo setup or do u want a sequential twin turbo setup? Also depends on what u want to come out of these turbos. You could just want a faster acceleration rate at which point i'd suggest the sequentials. Also just how big is the turbo you have now? You could make that one the smaller of the two maybe. If you want high end speed you could strap on a bigger turbo and not make it sequential. Or you could do what is simplest, replace your existing turbo. My is that its always better to have two turbos. I'd just suggest to make one bigger than the other (doesn't even have to be sequential).

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra

i have explained this before... but i think ill recap a bit...

small turbo first, and then big turbo kicking in = sequential twin turbo

both turbos running at the same time = parallel twin turbos

there are also 2 types of parallel twin turbos, one is that each bank feeds its own turbo, and the other one is some big mess of feeding each other's turbo or something like that.... cant remember... im exhausted.... too many chicks at college....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote