Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
abe_97GTP
CF Newbie

Unhappy 97 Pontiac GTP not getting injector pulse

Hey everyone. This is my first time using this site and I am very happy I found it. Everyone seems really nice and involved here.

I have a 97 Pontiac GTP which is not turning on. I have checked and I know I have a nice strong spark, fuel pump is on and fuel pressure is on the fuel rail. I know there is 12V at the fuel injectors but when using a noid light I know that it is not getting a pulse and is not allowing any current to flow in the line. I checked all obivous fuses and so forth.

Is this a sign of a bad computer? Or are there other pieces that if not working properly will cause the computer to not send out a fuel injector command? Could the Cam position sensor cause this?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Abe
Old 08-14-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe_97GTP
Hey everyone. This is my first time using this site and I am very happy I found it. Everyone seems really nice and involved here.

I have a 97 Pontiac GTP which is not turning on. I have checked and I know I have a nice strong spark, fuel pump is on and fuel pressure is on the fuel rail. I know there is 12V at the fuel injectors but when using a noid light I know that it is not getting a pulse and is not allowing any current to flow in the line. I checked all obivous fuses and so forth.

Is this a sign of a bad computer? Or are there other pieces that if not working properly will cause the computer to not send out a fuel injector command? Could the Cam position sensor cause this?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Abe

I think the cam sensor mainly provides the base ignition timing signal. Put a code scanner on the car (some parts places will do this free of charge) and get a list of trouble codes the ECM is throwing. This will help find a starting point.

in the mean time, check the wiring harness between the ECM and fuel injectors and checl the ECM and make sure ALL of the grounds are in place.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 AM   #3
abe_97GTP
CF Newbie

I checked all grounds today and everything was as required.

The weridest thing is that on Friday I took out the computer, opened it up and checked inside, and when I put it back the car started. Then after couple of starts and driving it around town it wouldn't turn back on. It is now doing the same old no start thing.

I just can't imagine what would cause the injectors not to fire. Any more suggestions?