Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Attesa

Could someone explain why the Attesa system is so good (the one that the Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R uses)?

I do not know very much about it, but I hear it can make a newbie driver look like a pro.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

What's an Attesa?

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra

ill give the basics on the system since it is a bit complex.

ATTESA E-TS: Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split

the attesa system is the traction control system used in the Skyline GT-R's. it is a system developed by Nissan which was actually first brought up by Porsche in their legendary 959. the skyline gt-r's attesa system and the porsche 959's PSK systems work rather similarly, but ill just mention the attesa system from now on.

instead of using a center differential like any other AWD car to either have full time AWD or just part-time, it instead uses a multi-plate clutch. this is how it works. just like the Porsche PSK system, the ATTESA checks Lateral G, boost pressure, throttle position, steering angle, and probably some other extra things. in fact, through the ABS system, it even monitors the individual speed of each and every single one of the car's tires.

keep wat i mentioned in mind. it is a well known fact that AWD cars have a tendency to understeer cuz of how much grip they have, and wats the best thing to fight this? using RWD to have some oversteer. still, in a car thats full time AWD this isnt possible, same with a full time RWD. so why not have a system that can transform from RWD to AWD, and vice versa? thats the ATTESA E-TS system. as soon as the system sees that the car is running out of grip in its complete RWD form, the multiplate clutch in the center starts connecting more clutches, transferring some power to the front tires. wat happens? some AWD power is engined and some more traction is given. some ppl will say that its a stupid concept, but unless u are a real car enthusiast and understand the whole concept of gripping power and needs, or have driven one of these machines, then u wont understand it's ingeniousity.

to those who may be wondering, yes, the attesa can be turned off. in the R32 and R34 GT-R models, it is done by pulling out a fuse or a switch. in the R33, the front driveshaft needs to be removed (sadly, but a smart person would only do this for dyno tuning).

the only real disadvantage of the system is that its somewhat heavy and expensive. of course, these are small prices to pay for such a highly advanced and intelligent system.

other systems similar to the Porsche 959 PSK and the Skyline GT-R ATTESA E-TS systems are the Mercedes 4-Matic and VW's 4Motion. ofc, the last 2 cant be compared to the first 2.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:05 AM   #4
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Thanks alot.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
MaChao
CF Newbie

Hmm....VERY interesting. I think that was the most interesting (useful is a different matter..Haha) piece of information I've heard in a long time. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:55 AM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

vw's 4motion in the R32 is crap. That one is FWD/AWD, not RWD/AWD.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:54 AM   #7
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Thanks for celaring that up. So, I gues my only question is as to why the attesa isn't in other cars? Is it that heavily patented? And also, is it really ahrd to drift in a stock R34 because of this complex system? Also, doesn't the ferrari Enzo and the Noble M12 have that integrated into the car?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Very nice post about Attesa, I had never known. Thanks!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

To clear things up. It is virtually impossible to drift in a skyline with the ATTESA system enabled, it just spins out. You can powerslide, but not drift. Even if it could, why would you? It is as heavy as hell, and the weight balance isnt exactly perfect for drifting.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #10
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

That may be true, but, I have to ask you why you think powersliding and drifting are so different. After all drifting is just a controlled powerslide.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:43 AM   #11
aerith

Drifting is moving at an angle, for a extended period of time where you control so that all four wheels are sliding and moving in a diagonal direction at which you were going before. Drifting is normally accomplished when one creates lack of wheel spin in the rear wheels and then waits till the tail comes around and gases and brakes according to postion, while drifting is also possible with AWD vehicles, instead of taking your foot off the accelerator as you are in the drift, you power through it never taking your foot off (exxageration, you do take your foot off to adjust speed and angle) But powersliding is just when you go on straing line, and immediately yank on your steering wheel while moving in the same direction you were going before only now you are facing another direction. But In drifting you are going in an diagonal direction. So there is a huge difference.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Maybe, but the idea of drifting came from controlling your powerslide.
Or am I wrong?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:06 AM   #13
aerith

No one really knows where drifting comes from. It probaly is from a person controlling his powerslide, but it has evolved to a total different thing. You cant exactly call a drift a powerslide anymore, unless its excuted very poorly.