Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Responsible Street Racing

Far too many people view street racing as an idiotic act. Its only idiotic if an idiot is the one doing it. I have found there are a few unspoken rules of street racing, an honor I think, at least thats how it is where I'm from.

Unspoken rules:

1) Don't race during the day, where there is lots of traffic.
2) Don't race on heavilly trafficked roads.
3) Don't drift on ANY public sreets.
4) If you are racing a car slower than your own, pack it with people to make it a more even race.
5) Don't brag.

Its not like anyone says this, but if you do any of these, your labeled as a moron. People won't race you, and you get a bad reputation. If racers just used common sense then everyone would be fine.

I'm pretty sure ChrisV will have a strong opinion on this matter.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:17 AM   #2
Phelan
CF Newbie

Well, I an tell you in Japan most of these things are thrown out the window.... exept for maybe the "at night" part.....

I also crank my A/C all the way up when racing a slower car, seems to slow me down a bit.
Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
Far too many people view street racing as an idiotic act. Its only idiotic if an idiot is the one doing it. I have found there are a few unspoken rules of street racing, an honor I think, at least thats how it is where I'm from.

Unspoken rules:

4) If you are racing a car slower than your own, pack it with people to make it a more even race.
5) Don't brag.

Its not like anyone says this, but if you do any of these, your labeled as a moron. People won't race you, and you get a bad reputation. If racers just used common sense then everyone would be fine.

I'm pretty sure ChrisV will have a strong opinion on this matter.

No offense, but if Racers used common sense they would go to a track and get real timeslips.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:55 AM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

there is no such thing as responsible street racing for the simple fact that it is street racing. there are laws against it for many reasons. there is always that unknown factor of something random happening, like some car just bursting into the street and the racers crashing into it. also, one of the wheels or something from one of the racers' cars breaking or blowing out and smashing into a nearby building or something, and i have seen it personally happen even at the track. some weeks ago some spectator even got killed by some manifold that blew in the race track, it even appeared on the papers. no matter how good the driver is, he/she can still make a mistake, or even get into some accident by some unknown factor, like some freak of nature event.

there are race tracks for a reason, to do this legally. no matter how its done, where its done, or when its done, or whatever, it is still a very stupid and immature thing to do. u race on the streets, u put lives at risk, no matter wat. sure, its all for good n fun, cuz even i do it every now n then, but im aware of the risks and dangers n i understand completely why it shouldnt be done n wat things could happen. u could have $5,000,000 invested on the car, n it can still have a freak accident. simple thing is, u street race, u are automatically a very stupid and immature person, and thinking that there are rules just makes things even worse, far worse. so think before u race, n take it to the race track where everyone can be fun n a controlled environment is offered.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 AM   #5
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i used to be pretty big on street racing... until somthing happened to a friend of mine... but all those rules... nah, the werent there.. except for night... because well, they are "night races" but traffic, lots of us did that, drift publc streets... just dont get caught, public ones are the best becuase theyre normally better condition for the public. slower cars... who cares they suck. dont brag, thats a big point to it
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
MaChao
CF Newbie

Well, there's no real logical argument that will say that street racing is a bad thing. But I'm not going to plainly say "don't street race!" but instead, think of it as "honor amongst theives," since it would render this thread obsolete otherwise.

As for your unspoken rules, there may be other reasons for them:

Quote:
Unspoken rules:

5) Don't brag.

Unspoken Rules (revisited):
1) Don't race during the day, where there are lots of cops.
2) Don't race on heavily trafficked roads, where the other racer can complain about third-party drivers being too slow, where you might get blocked and let the slower car beat you, or where other drivers can do shiet to you.
3) Don't drift on ANY public streets, because you're probably not good enough, you're going to wear your tires and end up losing the race, or the street you're racing on doesn't have smooth enough curves.
4) If you are racing a car slower than your own, pack it with people to show them how you totally killed it.
5) Don't brag, because somebody's going to break you windows.

Haha...These reasons are just as likely as yours, right?

Last edited by MaChao : 08-16-2004 at 04:58 AM.
MaChao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 AM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Yes, those are the reasons, but at least it keeps it somewhat safer. Not that it is safe at all, Im just saying safer

And as for take it to the track, there isn't a track closer than 2 hours where I live. And thats only a dragstrip, we don't have a circuit track or road track in my state. So we are kinda forced to race on the streets. Unless we want to drive 15 hours to Texas.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
mischa
CF Newbie

where can you street race in japan? it seems like everywhere that's flat is metropolitan. But I have heard stories about drifters up in the hills of Japan, i'm sure everyone has heard that.

I've never street raced or even been to a race, but once i get a few years older with a real job i want to autocross with an S4. Autocrossing's legal, and i'm sure it's in NewMexico too.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #9
mischa
CF Newbie

Check your local SCCA chapter. they require you, to race, to remove everything from your car and pass a certain inspection. membership requirement is determined by location.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:16 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yes, those are the reasons, but at least it keeps it somewhat safer. Not that it is safe at all, Im just saying safer

And as for take it to the track, there isn't a track closer than 2 hours where I live. And thats only a dragstrip, we don't have a circuit track or road track in my state. So we are kinda forced to race on the streets. Unless we want to drive 15 hours to Texas.
I haven't posted on this forum for around four months, but... I cannot let the stupidity or arrogance of this individual pass. Once again we have another candyass lying to justify the fact that he's not man enough to put his car on the track because we all know only pussies race on the street.

That is an aerial picture of the road course that doesn't exist in New Mexico. Not only is there a road course in NM but it's about 15 minutes from downtown Albuquerque, the city in which he lives. Furthermore if he simply drives to Colorado there are eight road courses within about six hours (some MUCH closer) to where he lives. How do I know this? Those of you with good memories know I used to live there. I can also tell you, as someone else alluded to, Albuquerque has a very active Solo II scene.

So, the moral of the story is this. If you spent half as much time and effort trying to do the right thing instead of making up stories to cover for your stupidity, you too could race like an adult.

For further info on SMS; http://sandiamotorsports.com/index.htm

I almost forgot, here's a link to the dragstrip on the other side of Albuquerque. http://www.abqdragway.com/

Zalight, I heard youjust got an offer for the job as poster child for birth control. Douche bag.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

is it me, or did the hobo just talk?

i think its just me.... im taking a short break cuz my next class is at 11:30pm... so i got like 2 hours to spare... and all the hot girls from college are driving me insane....

so ill just pretend im just imagining this..... and move on....

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Welcome back Hobo, I see you couldnt let that one pass
Old 08-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #13
SuperJew
I like pie.

whats up, hobo? anyway...I feel that the very principle of street racing is irresponsible and idiotic - there's just too many dangerous factors that should be considered, and can be solved by simply paying the entrance fee to a track and racing there, in a (relatively) safe, controlled environment.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #14
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I haven't posted on this forum for around four months, but... I cannot let the stupidity or arrogance of this individual pass...

Ahhhh....there's that warm feeling again!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:55 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

That's still no real excuse to street race. If you seriously are INTO cars you would take the correct measures in racing them. Which means getting in the car and using a tank of gas to get to the strip have fun and go back home with some evidence of how fast your car REALLY is. See, at the track, there is usually never any bragging, no BS, just racing. I noticed in the street racing world everyone claims their civic is the fastest thing on 4 wheels. Go to a track, this is where all the talk and BS end. Where you see REAL race cars run REAL times.

I remembered when I was younger with my first Accord (turbo h22a 4th gen), was a perfect sleeper. Could beat any stock Cobra and most slightly modded SS's. I would talk a lot...just having fun on the streets. Then I got even more cocky...finally I realized what I was doing was no hard evidence nor common sense. Got in my car, drove an hour or so to the nearest track around me, borrowed a guy's helmet, and proceeded to run low-mid 12s @ ~115-120mph. Now I had evidence, and with that actually came respect. This is exactly my life-experience with htis kind of scenario. Hopefully this will shine some light on some others who are still stuck on the first part of my scenario.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote