Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2003, 12:35 AM   #1
sugarboy43

1997 Chevy 02 sensor

I need some help. I have a check engine light problem. The code calls for 02 sensor replacement. Trouble is, it calls for 2 of them. They are very expensive, and I have been told ther is a 'FIX' that you can buy and put in the circuit that fools the computer into thinking the 02's are ok. Has anyone ever heard of such a 'FIX' or is this just wishful thinking? I forgot to say this is a 1997 Chevy PU 5.7. Hope someone can help.
P. M. Rickard
Central City, Ky 42330
pmrick@netquake.net
Old 05-15-2003, 01:46 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: 1997 Chevy 02 sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarboy43
I need some help. I have a check engine light problem. The code calls for 02 sensor replacement. Trouble is, it calls for 2 of them. They are very expensive, and I have been told ther is a 'FIX' that you can buy and put in the circuit that fools the computer into thinking the 02's are ok. Has anyone ever heard of such a 'FIX' or is this just wishful thinking? I forgot to say this is a 1997 Chevy PU 5.7. Hope someone can help.
P. M. Rickard
Central City, Ky 42330
pmrick@netquake.net

1. There is no DTC that calls for O2 sensor replacement, doesn't exist, never did. You may have a DTC that detects a problem within the system but that's all. Did you have codes pulled by someone with experience or someone with a tool to do it? There is a difference.

2. No, there is no way to bypass the O2 sensors. Ask the person who gave you that info to please provide a manufacturers name or a link to me. I'd love to see it.

3. Bad news. Your truck doesn't have two O2 sensors it has four. Double you pleasure, double your fun.

Please don't think I'm being an ass but whoever is giving you this info appears to be clueless. My guess is you went to Autozone and had a minimum wage flunky plug in for free. Remember they're in the bussiness of selling parts not repairing cars (or trucks). If you supply me with the codes I can and will be of more service.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:54 PM   #3
sugarboy43

Code was 141 and repair book says it is 02 sensors. Yes I do know there are more than 2 in the system. pmrick@netquake.net
Old 05-15-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarboy43
Code was 141 and repair book says it is 02 sensors. Yes I do know there are more than 2 in the system. pmrick@netquake.net

Ah grasshopper, code P0141 HO2S heater circuit, bank 1 sensor 2. That is the left downflow sensor. Notice the description refers to the heater circuit, not the sensor itself although it could be a bad sensor. Get underneath and check to see if the sensor connector is clean and in good shape. Also check the harness to see if it has chafed or burned through.

If you don't find anything upon inspection clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does come back you obviously have more investigating to do. OBD II vehicles can sometimes be hyper sensitive to sensor input. I've seen this code set on Chevy trucks just because water had gotten trapped inside the connector.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Oops! I said downflow went I meant downstream. Hope this didn't cause any confusion.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
rainmann13
CF Newbie

????

have never got burnt on heater fault code buy replacing o2 sensors,replace the sensors and be done with it! could have another issue but not common

you can put a resister in place of the o2 sensor to trick the computer to think its rich or lean to change the fuel ratio, big 5.0l mustang trick (dumps more gas)
but will probly throw check engine light on?(goes faster who cares if lights on)
and would have nothing to do with a heater fault!
rainmann13 is offline   Reply With Quote