Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
Automatic clutches

Is it easy to get uprated parts for automatic clutches and what parts of automatic clutches need to be uprated to withstand additional power and torque? I'd like to know this so that I know if I can go ahead with installing a 50bhp nitrous pulsoid in a Rav4. It's not much good having the extra power if the clutch can't be uprated to suit.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Re: Automatic clutches

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Is it easy to get uprated parts for automatic clutches and what parts of automatic clutches need to be uprated to withstand additional power and torque? I'd like to know this so that I know if I can go ahead with installing a 50bhp nitrous pulsoid in a Rav4. It's not much good having the extra power if the clutch can't be uprated to suit.

Snoope,

Please explain what you mean by "automatic clutches". I am unaware of any Toyota product that has that feature, however you may have something different in the UK. Is it possible you mean an automatic transmission? If that's the case you probably won't find much in the way of upgrades for that particular trans. Most likely the only thing you'll be able to do would be to raise the line pressure to increase clamping force on the clutch packs and bands. Possibly switching to a different fluid would help too.

As a side note, what part of the England do you live in? I used to live in Suffolk. Just wondering. See ya.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
Yes vwhobo, I was refering to clutches in automatic transmissions. Are fluid and pressure the only things that need to be changed for a clutch as part of an automatic transmission not to slip from use of a 50bhp shot of nitrous? Aren't there any components that would need hardening? Do you know anything about 'balloon plates' to suit the use of nitrous?
I've lived in Sheffield in South Yorkshire since I was born. Am I right in thinking that you were born in England? If that's so, when did you move to America?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Yes vwhobo, I was refering to clutches in automatic transmissions. Are fluid and pressure the only things that need to be changed for a clutch as part of an automatic transmission not to slip from use of a 50bhp shot of nitrous? Aren't there any components that would need hardening? Do you know anything about 'balloon plates' to suit the use of nitrous?
I've lived in Sheffield in South Yorkshire since I was born. Am I right in thinking that you were born in England? If that's so, when did you move to America?

As I said in my last post I don't think you'll have any luck finding uprated parts for trans. If my quick research is any indication I was right. Personally I don't think a 50 shot will make any difference to your trans, it should be more than strong enough. Anti-balloon plates are a modification done to the torque converter to handle the sudden increase in pressure when the nitrous hits. Again I believe a non-issue.

Really my concern is why a RAV4 with an automatic. It seems like you could find a better candidate for boosting performance. Even a good auto trans is a power waster, of course if you're running a car with enough hp you can get away with it. Why not a smaller, lighter car with a manual trans?

And no, I wasn't born in England but I'll bet you a Guinness I know why you think I was. I was however stationed there in the early 90's at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge. See ya.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:55 PM   #5
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
It's more a matter of matching the nitrous to the car rather than matching the car to the nitrous. I want an automatic Rav4 MK1 for my next car because it's arguably the best medium "lifestyle" SUV around. I want a 4x4 for when it snows in England and because SUVs have other advantages like having a better view, being easier to get in and out of and being less affected by extra weight than a small car. I want an automatic because it's easier to drive than a manual. The Rav4 also happens to only have one type of engine and is just about at my limit as far as the cost of my insurance goes. It offers performance that's good enough for me now but when the insurance cost goes down enough, I might want nitrous for more flexible overtaking capability, getting away from the lights quickly when in overtaking lanes on dual carriageways etc.
Why mention Guinness? Is it something that's not really around in America? It's the Irish that are stereotyped as Guinness drinkers. I prefer Bitter but I'm not a big drinker.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
Well thanks again vwhobo )
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:55 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
It's more a matter of matching the nitrous to the car rather than matching the car to the nitrous. I want an automatic Rav4 MK1 for my next car because it's arguably the best medium "lifestyle" SUV around. I want a 4x4 for when it snows in England and because SUVs have other advantages like having a better view, being easier to get in and out of and being less affected by extra weight than a small car. I want an automatic because it's easier to drive than a manual. The Rav4 also happens to only have one type of engine and is just about at my limit as far as the cost of my insurance goes. It offers performance that's good enough for me now but when the insurance cost goes down enough, I might want nitrous for more flexible overtaking capability, getting away from the lights quickly when in overtaking lanes on dual carriageways etc.
Why mention Guinness? Is it something that's not really around in America? It's the Irish that are stereotyped as Guinness drinkers. I prefer Bitter but I'm not a big drinker.

Sorry I didn't get back on this sooner. For your purpose I feel a turbo would be a better bet. Don't forget with nitrous you have to turn the bottle on and off, refill it, etc. A turbo is always there ready to go when you want it. Yes it costs more initially but long term I think it would be cheaper too.

I mention Guinness because it just doesn't taste the same here as it does there. Oh for another night in a little pub near Felixtowe. Well I can dream. See ya.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
I did think about the inconvenience of refills myself (
Guinness drinker ay. Good stuff in small amounts because of the iron and other goodness in it but if you were to be the type to get drunk on it regularly then you could be looking at a triple heart valve transplant after many years like one of my friends Dad’s friends had.
Then again, I’m sure you know that and it could have happened to him even if it was beer that he’d been drinking all those years.
Have a nice day mrgreen
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
a RAV 4 with Nitrous

I'm sorry, I can fully appreciate the need that some people have for speed and power, BUT A TOYOTA RAV 4 with Nitrous???? I had to stop by and laugh. If I saw that out on the streets where I live, I would have to laugh and would probably run off the road in the process of my exuberant laughter. No offense to anyone and we all have things that excite us, but my god what a waist of time, money and other resources for such a vehicle.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:14 PM   #10
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur
 
snoopewite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England
Posts: 782
No offense taken ) It does seem a silly thing to have contemplated now. I did however explain that I didn't want the nitrous in order to turn the Rav4 into some kind of "rice rocket". If I do get a Rav4 and keep it for a while then maybe I'll be able to just get it "chipped" when I can afford a higher insurance group to make it that bit more versitile instead of spending thousands on a turbo like vwhobo suggested. I did appreciate the turbo suggestion but it's just too much money to lose, like the nitrous would have been in the long run.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you make an automatic car into a manual car? Mike Repairs & Maintenance 7 02-08-2003 12:11 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.