Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2004, 08:43 AM   #1
celicat
CF Newbie

Exclamation 1983 toyota celica failed emissions test

Iím in a bit of a bind. My 1983 Toyota Celica (standard) was kidnapped by New York City this morning and is being held hostage at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Tow Pound. I irresponsibly let my registration expire and canít get the car out without renewing it. I canít renew my registration, however, without getting my car inspected again. Just last week I had it inspected, but it failed the emissions test. Lacking enough money to pay for the $400 tune-up the garage wanted to charge, I decided to try to tune it up myself, but was too busy to do so up until today. Now I need to have the car towed out of the pound to a station that will do a re-inspection. All the stations I called in the area want about the same ($400-500) to service the car before inspecting it again. I still canít afford to pay that and want to do some things to it myself, but Iím not very knowledgeable about these things. I can change the air filter, but what other adjustments can I make to lower the emissions? Any advice would be helpful. The car is not worth a whole lot, but it has low mileage (65,000) for its age, and is dependable. I am starting a part-time teaching job in Boston next month and will need a car to commute back and forth to Boston. The results of my failed inspection are:

Emission Control Devices Result: PASS

Emissions Test Result: FAIL
Vehicle Reading HC 1.04 gpm / CO 15.75 gpm / NOx 1.80 gpm.
Test Limits HC 0.80 gpm / CO 15.00 gpm / NOx 2.00 gpm

Besides changing the air filter (which is about two years old) what else can I do to lower the emissions myself? Thanks for you help.
celicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicat
Iím in a bit of a bind. My 1983 Toyota Celica (standard) was kidnapped by New York City this morning and is being held hostage at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Tow Pound. I irresponsibly let my registration expire and canít get the car out without renewing it. I canít renew my registration, however, without getting my car inspected again. Just last week I had it inspected, but it failed the emissions test. Lacking enough money to pay for the $400 tune-up the garage wanted to charge, I decided to try to tune it up myself, but was too busy to do so up until today. Now I need to have the car towed out of the pound to a station that will do a re-inspection. All the stations I called in the area want about the same ($400-500) to service the car before inspecting it again. I still canít afford to pay that and want to do some things to it myself, but Iím not very knowledgeable about these things. I can change the air filter, but what other adjustments can I make to lower the emissions? Any advice would be helpful. The car is not worth a whole lot, but it has low mileage (65,000) for its age, and is dependable. I am starting a part-time teaching job in Boston next month and will need a car to commute back and forth to Boston. The results of my failed inspection are:

Besides changing the air filter (which is about two years old) what else can I do to lower the emissions myself? Thanks for you help.

Air filter as you know. 02 sensor should be changed every 50K. Run some fuel injector cleaner through.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
stamar
CF Newbie

according to what you said, it is just barely out of specs.

So, the garage are thieves.

What is most likely out of tune is the carbuerator adjustment. You will need a tach to do this, or pay a mechanic $60. change all the plugs and wires, the air filter.

change the oil. Drive it 30 miles before you take the test, on the freeway. Should be good to go.
stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamar
according to what you said, it is just barely out of specs.

So, the garage are thieves.

What is most likely out of tune is the carbuerator adjustment. You will need a tach to do this, or pay a mechanic $60. change all the plugs and wires, the air filter.

change the oil. Drive it 30 miles before you take the test, on the freeway. Should be good to go.
OK HOLD THE WAGON.

Celicat, If I'm not mistaken, your '83 Celica came with an option of either a carburetor or FI. So which do you have?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #5
LetsGoRodeo
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Pass Emissions Test - Guaranteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicat

Check out MPG Technologies, www.getmorempg.com

They have an emissions treatment kit that will substantially lower both HydroCarbons and NOx. In addition to cleaning the pistons and cylinders their product treats the metal with a dry lubricant that will decrease friction, improve gas mileage and increase horsepower.

Official Test Results
Reduced Friction 12.6%
Improved Horsepower 15.5%
Increased MPG 17.5%
http://www.getmorempg.com/pdf/uou.pdf

Approved by the Federal Aviation Administration for use in aircraft, MPG Technologies products have been tested by the US Department of Energy, Franklin Research Group, NASA and Consumer Digest.

"We were skeptical at first, but it turns out that the product does exactly what the manufacturer claims."
Consumer Digest

http://www.getmorempg.com/testing.htm MPG Technologies backs up their claims with testing and offers some revealing information on other products on the market http://www.getmorempg.com/compete.htm

As the primary sponsor of the Long Beach Gran Prix under the LubraLon label their treatment set the pace for the industry. Emissions and fuel treatment significantly reduces toxic emissions. The transmission and gear box treatment can save thousands of dollars on rebuilds.

Racing teams have used a variety of MPG Technologies products! The engine treatment has been tested worldwide by universities, military, government and independent test facilities have shown an increase in Miles Per Gallon, reduced friction, and decreased heat and wear to extend the life of your engine. Test have shown mileage increased by as much as 5 miles per gallon, with climbing fuel prices an increase in MPG is worth checking out!

They have products for Car & Truck, Boat, Plane, Small Engine, Motorcycle, Heavy Equipment, Compressors and a variety of other mechanical engines.

www.getmorempg.com
LetsGoRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote