Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
bball4life1088
CF Newbie

make my mustang louder

i have a 95 mustang v6. is there anyway i could make it sound any louder, since its so quiet, without buying a full exhaust system?...if i took the exhaust pipe off, so it just ended at the muffler, would it be alot louder?...any suggestions will help, thanks
bball4life1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
Hepatitus
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball4life1088
i have a 95 mustang v6. is there anyway i could make it sound any louder, since its so quiet, without buying a full exhaust system?...if i took the exhaust pipe off, so it just ended at the muffler, would it be alot louder?...any suggestions will help, thanks

If you took off your exhaust pipe after the muffler, it would be a louder but not the kind of sound you are probably looking for. I'm trying to visualize the exhaust on the V6 95's............What you should do, is look into Borla, Dynomax, or Flowmaster exhaust. If you don't want to invest into a whole exhaust system, just get the muffler. Changing the muffler will make it sound a lot better if you were to choose one of those I mentioned. You could always take the Cat's off and weld some pipe in it's place. You'll have to weld off some other things and put up with the smell of burning raw gas under you all the time. That's kind of a bad idea though. Oh and another bad Idea, (I know this cause I tried it) don't go under the car and drill holes in the exhaust system..........I tried and it was louder and all, but sounded like Rice rattling down the road.

If you want to make the front end of your car louder, take off the air silencer. It'll sound like you have a cold air intake and give you a little more horses if you take that off and strip the housing.

Take it easy and do it smart!
Hepatitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:28 AM   #3
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

<rips the airbox out of the engine compartment>
<kicks the exhaust off the car>

There. It's louder. :p

Seriously, just like Hepatitus said above, there are many ways to make your car sound louder. Most aren't going to give you a desirable result.
Spend the money on a quality system.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

hahaha...

Ohh, I was just thinking about how my idiot friends and I always take off the airbox and exhaust off peoples car and rev it just to see how loud it is. Then we put everything back on of course.

My brother has a Focus ZX3, we took out the exhaust from the cat back, and had a muffler shop put a 2.5" straight pipe all the way back, no mufflers, no resonators, just pipe. It was loud as hell, but then his cat got clogged, so we took it off and took everything out of it, so now its just a resonator. His car sounds like an SCCA road racer. Its so loud!!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
bball4life1088
CF Newbie

yeah, i would just put on another muffler, but i think it would look silly with it bein loud, and just one exaust pipe going out the back.
bball4life1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:01 AM   #6
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

Upgrade the full system or, if you want to get the look on the cheap, get a cat-back dual system...
Old 02-18-2005, 04:41 AM   #7
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Taking off the tailpipe will do nothing for sound on your car...it may be louder inside, but outside it will remain the same. There are many quality cat-back exhaust systems available for the V-6 'stangs. Most are well priced dual exhaust systems...look into MagnaFlow, Mac, and DynoMax...there are others I'm forgetting but by all means, stay away from flowmaster.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote