Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #31
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
What was it based off of when they first came out? Le Mans or the Catalina? There might've been something else too.
Technically the Tempest. That'd be a good name for a glam rock band.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #32
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar
You know, the main magazines I read are Import Tuner and C&D.

I don't know where I got that the GTO wasn't performance. I might have read something about the Tempest and stuck it with the GTO. The Tempest was the grocery-getter, the GTO was a Tempest with a bigger engine. Damn, I don't know where I got that from.
Hey, shit happens. I'm still looking for some discussion about "Mutsnags".

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-03-2004, 01:19 AM   #33
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Sattyorino, just for you Bub.

http://tripower455.freeservers.com/gtohist.htm

Old 03-03-2004, 01:19 AM   #34
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Technically the Tempest. That'd be a good name for a glam rock band.

Damn. I thought it started with a "T"

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:06 AM   #35
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

the 2005 Mustang isn't for me... I like the GTO though, especially the inside... It looks so comfortable...

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
SilverCivicSi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:10 AM   #36
JaBoFordRid3r
CF Newbie

Ya amen to that one, that picture of the interior of the GTO makes me want one lol, anyways, does anyone know the specs. for all these new cars (even concepts) like - the new mustang, the new GTO, the new Charger, the new Bronco, the Shelby (already in another thread *600 HP v10*), and anyother domestic car well on its way... thnx
JaBoFordRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:16 AM   #37
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

Thank you very much hobo! You're the best!

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #38
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassar
Dude, what do you think the original GTO was? It was a grocery-getting family car, with a big engine. The original GTO was never meant to be a performance car and even C&D proved that. Infact, C&D hated the car because GM just used the basic Monaro platform. I'm sorry, but vwhobo does know what he's talking about. The GTO was NEVER about performance, but people eventually turned them into performance cars because they had a strong engine.

My point was that I don't care for the styling. I was simply stating that I thought it looked more like a Grand Am than a modern muscle car. THAT'S IT! I wasn't saying it was slow or making any other inferences as to performance.
I was stating no facts, and prefaced the statements with "I think." It was an opinion.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #39
PatrickS
CF Newbie

Well guys, all I have to say is that you can't beat a classic. I would take the classic Charger, Mustang and GTO over any of this new stuff. The charger definately takes its stylings from the Viper at the front end, and although I'm a Dodge fan I'm pretty ****ing dissapointed in that. The GTO was a kick ass car back in the day too, but they've butchured it. It is definately the front end of a Grand Prix with the back of the Sentra, which I find really weird because the back end lighting is way too close to Sentra. The Mustang is a beautiful car but I haven't heard anybody mention the fact that the front end is just a reformed classic front end of the 60s and 70s Mustang. Oh, by the way, I've hated the Mustangs from the 80s, 90s and up until the 2005. I haven't cared for the appearance, it's just not right.

Personally, I don't care for sports cars and I would take a Caddy Sedan Deville from back in the day over a sports car, these are nice cars on the outside but I never really went for that whole two tone black and red leather crap.

Anyways, if I had to drive a sports car I would want to have a '69 Charger.

If I could have any luxury car, it would be a '76 New Yorker.
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #40
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

new mustang - its avg.... i give it a 5 on a scale from 1-10 10 being the highest...

Gto - lol man... i give it a 2.5

charger - thats one hot car.. i give it a 8.5
Old 09-06-2004, 07:21 PM   #41
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Doin a little bit of back reading are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS
Well guys, all I have to say is that you can't beat a classic. I would take the classic Charger, Mustang and GTO over any of this new stuff.

Do you mean the new versions of those cars or any new car at all. Because if its the latter then you are a little lacking on the intelligence side, New cars have so much more technology packed into them that they could out perform your classic muscle cars with relative ease using less cylinders and less displacement.

Example:
1970 Chevelle SS
450 hp LS6 454 V8, 0-60: 6.1 seconds
QM in 13.7@103 MPH

2004 WRX STi
300 hp 2.5 liter Flat 4, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds
QM in 13.26@105mph

But if your comparing the Charger, mustang, and GTO to their modern day replacements then I would probably agree with you. Except for the charger. It lookes great and according to poplarHotrodding.com will come equipped with one of them new fangled 5.7 liter Hemi's that Dodge is slapping into everything nowdays. So I would probably take the new charger over the old one. Even though I despise V8's (I don't consider it talent for a car company to slap the biggest engine they can fit into a vehicle in order to make it go fast, I prefer when car companys actually use engineering talent to Make a car perform well) I have to give the right V8's respect.

Quote:
I've hated the Mustangs from the 80s, 90s and up until the 2005. I haven't cared for the appearance, it's just not right.

You got that right. I think I would actally like them if I had never seen one in my life. But since i see 20 GT's a day i'm kinda jaded and I find the styling bland and the performance mediocre.

Quote:
Anyways, if I had to drive a sports car I would want to have a '69 Charger.

I'm pretty sure thats classifed as a muscle car not a sport car. Sport cars have finesse and subtlty. Muscle cars have aggressive looks, aggressive sounds, Usually handle rather poorly but that doesn't matter because muscle car guys are all about straight-line-plant-your-ass-in-the-seat power.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #42
Pac127
CF Newbie

displacement

death by displacement. v8's own. 4 bangers would own if each cylinder was about 6 inces wide. the truth of the matter is you get more potential with more displacement. il give any one a 2.4 I4 and 20 grand to spend. then il pend 20 grand on a v8 big block......we will see who makes more power.....we will see.
RS = really slow
after swap
RS = ridiculous speed
Pac127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:21 AM   #43
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac127
death by displacement. v8's own. 4 bangers would own if each cylinder was about 6 inces wide. the truth of the matter is you get more potential with more displacement. il give any one a 2.4 I4 and 20 grand to spend. then il pend 20 grand on a v8 big block......we will see who makes more power.....we will see.

Its not about how much power you make, Its about how much you can make work for you, how much you can put to the pavement. As shown in my post above, You have the 7.5 liter 1970 LS6 putting out 450 hp@5600 and 500 tq@3600 and then you have a 2.5 liter 2004 EJ25 putting out 300 hp@6000 and 300 tq@4000. And magically the EJ25 performs better. Thats because the STi makes use out of every little horse it can.

By the way, do the math on that 454 and you'll find out it makes 60.48 BHP per liter. Thats horrible! My CRX makes 58.5 BHPL. Its ungodly slow, and only needs to make 4 more Horsepower to be more powerful then a 7.5 liter V8. The EJ25 makes 120 BHPL. If the 454 made that much, it would be pushing 900 BHP.

So don't try to say your old school V8's are powerful. The only reason they make as much power as they do, is because they pour as much gas as possible into the cylinder.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #44
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac127

That's only true to an extent, because you could pit a 2.0L DOHC 16v with (say the 4g63T) against an age old OHV 16v 305 motor and I can almost bet you the smaller more techy motor will make more power (smaller engines CAN flow better than bigger ones).

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:28 PM   #45
Bleaaargh
Banned

Looks like you yankies got ripped on the ass-end of the new monaro aswell. we dont usually have body colour on the back, and it curves up more.

Im happy with the new monaro except for the nostrils/new bonnet scoops and the vertical foglights. BTW i thought somebody said that it comes with a 6L engine, the 5.7 is the engine it comes with here.

Here the monaro owns anything else in its class (hehe there arent many in that class anyway), but the reason why is sells here is because of its style.

I have a natural hatred of fords, being australian. but i do think the new mustang licks nuts. looks more like an 80 movies attempt at trying to make pretend future cars.

EDIT: that isnt the 04/05 GTO. I dont think so anyway.

Last edited by Bleaaargh : 09-21-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Bleaaargh is offline   Reply With Quote