Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Disc Brake Conversion

Hey, i have a 66 mustang fastback that i plan on road racing and i've noticed that brake fade is a real problem with my drums. I was thinking of doing a disk brake conversion from SSBC (stainless steel brakes corperation) it'll cost me round 2,000 for front and rear. Any one know if SSBC is any good? Anyone know of a cheaper way to improve braking? I do know of the granada conversion for mustangs however i would rather pay more for new parts and less hunting through junk yards because even the granada conversion can get kinda spendy. Gracias
Old 07-18-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Disc Brake Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavboy1
Hey, i have a 66 mustang fastback that i plan on road racing and i've noticed that brake fade is a real problem with my drums. I was thinking of doing a disk brake conversion from SSBC (stainless steel brakes corperation) it'll cost me round 2,000 for front and rear. Any one know if SSBC is any good? Anyone know of a cheaper way to improve braking? I do know of the granada conversion for mustangs however i would rather pay more for new parts and less hunting through junk yards because even the granada conversion can get kinda spendy. Gracias

Yes the SSBC is a fantastic set-up, and when they say it's a complete kit they mean it. And yes you can do it cheaper with junkyard parts but it won't work near as well and you still have junkyard parts. To do the conversion with off the shelf parts from AutoZone etc you'll end up spending about 70-75% as much as stepping up and doing it nicely and still have second rate parts.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Update. Just got the new Car Craft magazine in the mail this afternoon. Excellent article about SSBC brakes on a Falcon which of course is the same as your Mustang. Check it out.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:49 AM   #4
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Awsome, thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if it's next months or what but a guy who comes to our shop a lot is gonna be in Car Craft Magazine, his name is Jon Garner. Here in minnesota we just had the car craft summer nationals and they were all over him. He has a fox body mustang with a siamese bore 302 that is super charged and has a water to air intercooler in it. On our dyno at my shop he pulled a 723 hp AT THE REAR WHEELS!!!! the thing is rediculous. Check it out!
Old 07-21-2003, 04:50 AM   #5
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Oh i almost forgot to mention. On nice days it's his daily driver the thing is as reliable as a friggin Honda. Always starts on the first try it's crazy! Sorry i've seen the car and watched it dyno over 30 times but i still can't get over it the thing is crazy.