Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
101001
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16
low rpm vs high rpm = good/bad/ugly engine?

hi,

A while ago I was in woodwork and this stupid dorky kid who thinks he knows everything about computers and cars (hasnt even taken an auto course) starts bragging to the wood teacher about how his dad has some gay supped up hotrod. So he's talking about how proud he is to have helped put on the wheels or some sad thing, and then he says, "Yeah my dad was bringing it to a car show and he took SUCH good care of it, he kept the rpm between 1,000 and 1,500."
I have a chev cav, and i admit i dont know that much about cars, but that is so close to stalling for me that if i shifting from 2nd to third in that much rpm my car would chug.

so is it better to keep ur rpm in the lower numbers like 2000 or 3000 or better to raise it to 3000 to 4000 (when i change gears).

I dont know if i can trust this kid because hes such a complete jackass, i mean he has black plastic hood scoops glued on to the hood of his car, i dont even think they serve a perpose!

Last edited by 101001 : 09-04-2004 at 07:55 AM.
101001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101001
hi,

A while ago I was in woodwork and this stupid dorky kid who thinks he knows everything about computers and cars (hasnt even taken an auto course) starts bragging to the wood teacher about how his dad has some gay supped up hotrod. So he's talking about how proud he is to have helped put on the wheels or some sad thing, and then he says, "Yeah my dad was bringing it to a car show and he took SUCH good care of it, he kept the rpm between 1,000 and 1,500."
I have a chev cav, and i admit i dont know that much about cars, but that is so close to stalling for me that if i shifting from 2nd to third in that much rpm my car would chug.

so is it better to keep ur rpm in the lower numbers like 2000 or 3000 or better to raise it to 3000 to 4000 (when i change gears).

I dont know if i can trust this kid because hes such a complete jackass, i mean he has black plastic hood scoops glued on to the hood of his car, i dont even think they serve a perpose!

First of all this kid doesn't know what the crap he is talking about. Don't even worry about it. But in answering to your question, that totally depends on the engine.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
Inygknok
El del Supra
 
Inygknok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
for crusing around, i usually shift at around 3,000-3,500 in my car. it doesnt matter when ur cruising really, since ur just cruisin n trying to save gas. some ppl shift later, some earlier, but u should really let the engine develop a little bit by shifting atleast in the midrange of the engine's power. if u pamper a car too much, its gonna break down the next time u slam on the gas, and if u abuse the car too much, well, u should know wat will happen.
__________________


Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:13 AM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
yeah, 101001. this person is a dumbass...cars normally idle between 1,000 and 1,500 RPM, and if youre going and hit that youre stalling or, in my car's case, surging. which is not good. I second everything Inygknok said...
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
101001
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16
cool thanks for the info!
ill be sure to mention this to him next time he starts going off about something he read in a magazine
101001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
yeah, 101001. this person is a dumbass...cars normally idle between 1,000 and 1,500 RPM, and if youre going and hit that youre stalling or, in my car's case, surging. which is not good. I second everything Inygknok said...
LOL....A car should only idle at 1,500RPM if the choke's out or if the auto choke is sticking ...atleast that's how it is over here anyways, most UK spec cars idle at around 800-900RPM. Still, getting back to the point of this thread, constantly changing gear at that many revs will eventually mess up your gearbox (transmission to you US folk lol)...However, before your Gearbox gives up, your fuel consumption will decrease, so it does have it's pluse side
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
WOW! If ever there was a thread filled with assumptions, misinformation and just plain bullsh*t that just begs to be flamed, this is it. I simply can't believe the "answers" given by the self proclaimed experts. Let's see;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
First of all this kid doesn't know what the crap he is talking about. Don't even worry about it. But in answering to your question, that totally depends on the engine.
He doesn't know crap, eh? Are you sure? Do you know enough about the car that is the topic of this subject to make that statement or are you just blowing smoke out your ass... AGAIN. Then you throw in your little disclaimer at the end of the post. So is it or isn't it possible? In the space of three short sentences you've managed to contradict yourself. You more than anyone else should know THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT. Next moron;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
for crusing around, i usually shift at around 3,000-3,500 in my car. it doesnt matter when ur cruising really, since ur just cruisin n trying to save gas. some ppl shift later, some earlier, but u should really let the engine develop a little bit by shifting atleast in the midrange of the engine's power. if u pamper a car too much, its gonna break down the next time u slam on the gas, and if u abuse the car too much, well, u should know wat will happen.
Huh? Let me re-read the first post again. Nope, it doesn't ask anything about how you drive your car. How exactly does your driving style in your POS Supra have anything to do with the way this guy drives his car? The answer is it doesn't. What do you mean you should "let the engine develop a little bit"? If you wait long enough will a four cylinder turn into a six? If you pamper a car it's gonna break down? What WILL happen if you abuse it and how do you know if it's too much? BTW, I hope you made it through Frances and will make it through Ivan okay. Next idiot;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
yeah, 101001. this person is a dumbass...cars normally idle between 1,000 and 1,500 RPM, and if youre going and hit that youre stalling or, in my car's case, surging. which is not good. I second everything Inygknok said...
When you say "this person is a dumbass" are you refering to the two posts above you or yourself? When did you suddenly develop a knowledge of cars? A normal idle between 1,000 and 1,500 rpm? Not likely. Again, how exactly does your car apply here? Did you know that not every car is like your car? Seconding everything that someone else said, and is essentially 100% wrong or bullsh*t, makes you just as wrong. It gets better... almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
LOL....A car should only idle at 1,500RPM if the choke's out or if the auto choke is sticking ...atleast that's how it is over here anyways, most UK spec cars idle at around 800-900RPM. Still, getting back to the point of this thread, constantly changing gear at that many revs will eventually mess up your gearbox (transmission to you US folk lol)...However, before your Gearbox gives up, your fuel consumption will decrease, so it does have it's pluse side
You started out okay, and you ended okay, but what happened in the middle? How did you come up with the tidbit that "constantly changing gear at that many revs will eventually mess up your gearbox"? How will shifting at that rpm be any more detrimental to the gearbox that shifting at say 3,000rpm? Or 4,000 rpm? That's right, it won't but you just had to say something so it might as well be wrong. Finally;

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101001
hi,

A while ago I was in woodwork and this stupid dorky kid who thinks he knows everything about computers and cars (hasnt even taken an auto course) starts bragging to the wood teacher about how his dad has some gay supped up hotrod. So he's talking about how proud he is to have helped put on the wheels or some sad thing, and then he says, "Yeah my dad was bringing it to a car show and he took SUCH good care of it, he kept the rpm between 1,000 and 1,500."
I have a chev cav, and i admit i dont know that much about cars, but that is so close to stalling for me that if i shifting from 2nd to third in that much rpm my car would chug.

so is it better to keep ur rpm in the lower numbers like 2000 or 3000 or better to raise it to 3000 to 4000 (when i change gears).

I dont know if i can trust this kid because hes such a complete jackass, i mean he has black plastic hood scoops glued on to the hood of his car, i dont even think they serve a perpose!
First let me say that you must be about 12 years old to used the phrase "gay supped up hotrod", especially your use of the word gay. With those four words you've shown a whole lot of immaturity. On we go.

Contrary to the beliefs of people who don't know or are too stupid to care, what he told you is entirely possible. Because there is no info on the car except that it is a "gay supped up hotrod", and I couldn't find one of those with a Google search, I can only give you (and the other geniuses out there) some potential numbers.

Let's use a small block Chevy as our basis, an engine that easily develops more torque at 1,00 rpm than a Supra, a Neon or most any British car does at peak. Back it up with a 700R4 or a T-56 and a 2.73 rear end. Then let's figure a rear tire diameter of about 28". All very common attributes on a modern day "hotrod". At 60 mph you have an engine running right at 1,500 rpm. If you keep a light foot on the throttle (automatic) or short shift (manual) you could easily and economically drive all day, cross country never exceeding 1,500 rpm.

So is this kid full of sh*t? Maybe, but no more so that the four people who replied to you before me. Have a nice day.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Hobo, you always reply to threads with such grace and curtesy lol, I knew it was gonna be a nice read when it took so long to type ...Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh in saying that it will mess up the Gearbox at those revs, but constantly changing gear at any less certainly wont help matters!

How about taking note of the top part of this post before responding to any further posts...Good to have you back, and have a nice day
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 09-05-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
maybe I was a bit harsh in saying that it will mess up the Gearbox at those revs, but constantly changing gear at any less certainly wont help matters!
You've made essentially the same statement twice now. Can you back it up with any facts or is that smoke I see coming from your ass?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You've made essentially the same statement twice now. Can you back it up with any facts or is that smoke I see coming from your ass?
I see you've taken my advise to heart Mr. Big......Why does everything have to be backed up with info for you?....common sense should tell you that if you're stupid enough to change gear at less than idling speed, it aint gonna do much good

Edit: What I meant to say was, anything less than average idling speed....before I'm flamed
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 09-05-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I see you've taken my advise to heart Mr. Big......Why does everything have to be backed up with info for you?....common sense should tell you that if you're stupid enough to change gear at less than idling speed, it aint gonna do much good
If common sense was so common more people would have it, you're a perfect example. Why should statements be backed up with facts? If you have to ask that question it proves you're more clueless than I ever gave you credit for.

Shifting gears properly at ANY speed causes essentially no wear to a transmission. The major factors in wear/damage are rpm differential and shock loading. If, as in the subject of this thread, someone is obviously babying the vehicle both of those factors would be minimal. Those are facts.

As for your advise Cliffy, I couldn't give a rat's ass what a rent-a-cop from England has to say, especially this one. Try this for some advice. How about pulling your head out before typing any more replies and using some common sense and facts for a change. Now THAT would be a breath of fresh air.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
If common sense was so common more people would have it, you're a perfect example. Why should statements be backed up with facts? If you have to ask that question it proves you're more clueless than I ever gave you credit for.

Shifting gears properly at ANY speed causes essentially no wear to a transmission. The major factors in wear/damage are rpm differential and shock loading. If, as in the subject of this thread, someone is obviously babying the vehicle both of those factors would be minimal. Those are facts.

As for your advise Cliffy, I couldn't give a rat's ass what a rent-a-cop from England has to say, especially this one. Try this for some advice. How about pulling your head out before typing any more replies and using some common sense and facts for a change. Now THAT would be a breath of fresh air.
Just incase you missed it...I changed my title because I'm no longer a rent-a-cop...it seems to me that you have no consideration for anyone but yourself...even that's pushing it. I was actually going to close this topic when I saw you responding to it again, instead I thought I'd take your attitude into account and see if your insults would stop...Obviously that isn't the case, so I'll close it now seeing as you've single handedly turned a reasonable thread into a slanging match..Ok, not everybody is as witty as you my friend...How about you take your own advise the next time you type and THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT

If you have any problems at all...please, use the PM system
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 09-05-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.