Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast

Hey Bav... And others

What do you think of the new Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG with the dual turbo chargers?

The only thing i dont like is that is has a electronically limited top speed of 155mph

Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Guy
What do you think of the new Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG with the dual turbo chargers?

The only thing i dont like is that is has a electronically limited top speed of 155mph

I'd rather be driving around in a Turbo M3... Why?

A. SL65 AMG = Merecedes, which only can lead to my next points of...
B. It probably will be a boat in handling
C. The Steering will feel numb as a cotton mouth
D. It's going to need EXPENSIVE repairs
E. I'd rather just be in a BMW, a true 'drivers feedback' car.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

How do you know that has twin turbo's?...I've always known Mercs to be of the NA variety myself...still, could be wrong I spose lol. I always used to prefer BMW for looks and handling etc, now however I'm not too sure, it seems that Mercs have more heritage with them...if that's the right word to describe them, still, that's just my oppinion I guess

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:

When was the last time you got anywhere close to 155 MPH in a street car and when is the next time you plan to go over 155MPH in a street car?

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 09-04-2004 at 04:47 PM.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:03 AM   #5
importluva
Obsessed with imports

How much does that thing weigh? All the performance mercs (except the slk) weigh quite a bit and that kind of offsets the massive torque.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:44 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Looks just like any ordinary Mercedes. Massive ammounts of HP, good looks, and an extremly high top speed.

You guys seem to downplay Mercedes alot. Think about who actually drives Mercedes SL's SLK's and AMG alike. All I picture is moviestars, businessmen, and women. People who want to flaunt their wealth.

Mercedes is'nt really envisioned to be some sort of super race car with pin-point handling. How often do you see a production model Benz in an autocross race? How many Mercedes have you seen at the local dragstrip?

They make hella good high performance race cars, but their higher end production models are simple cruisers, road trip, and daily driver cars. Aside from some of the lower class models,like the C320, Mercedes production cars are'nt meant to be extreme drivers and or autocross cars like some of BMW's M series.

I'm damn sure that Mercedes would kill lots of its competition in a straight line, or even possibly on skidpad. Other than that I would'nt expect more from Mercedes than a good looking, luxery car with optional top end power AMG models. With the occasional tuner and or autocross car.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:15 AM   #7
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
How do you know that has twin turbo's?...I've always known Mercs to be of the NA variety myself...still, could be wrong I spose lol. I always used to prefer BMW for looks and handling etc, now however I'm not too sure, it seems that Mercs have more heritage with them...if that's the right word to describe them, still, that's just my oppinion I guess

How do i know? Well i looked the car up.

MSRP $179,720.00*
Engine AMG-built twin-turbocharged 6.0L SOHC 36-valve V-12 engine
Net Power 604 hp @ 5500 rpm
Net Torque 738 lb-ft @ 2,000 - 4,000 rpm

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/SL65.jsp
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Looks just like any ordinary Mercedes. Massive ammounts of HP, good looks, and an extremly high top speed.

You guys seem to downplay Mercedes alot. Think about who actually drives Mercedes SL's SLK's and AMG alike. All I picture is moviestars, businessmen, and women. People who want to flaunt their wealth.

Mercedes is'nt really envisioned to be some sort of super race car with pin-point handling. How often do you see a production model Benz in an autocross race? How many Mercedes have you seen at the local dragstrip?

They make hella good high performance race cars, but their higher end production models are simple cruisers, road trip, and daily driver cars. Aside from some of the lower class models,like the C320, Mercedes production cars are'nt meant to be extreme drivers and or autocross cars like some of BMW's M series.

I'm damn sure that Mercedes would kill lots of its competition in a straight line, or even possibly on skidpad. Other than that I would'nt expect more from Mercedes than a good looking, luxery car with optional top end power AMG models. With the occasional tuner and or autocross car.
I agree, Mercedes' have never been designed to be out and out race cars, for a start, not only Mercs but BMW's too, rev far too low for some race drivers (with exception to maybe BMW's M3)...the reason being that they were initially designed for long distance, comfort driving. Fair enough some Mercs offer high performance, but that's not where thier roots lie!...unless they are tuned specifically for performance purposes like Brabus and some AMG equivilents

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
How do i know? Well i looked the car up.

MSRP $179,720.00*
Engine AMG-built twin-turbocharged 6.0L SOHC 36-valve V-12 engine
Net Power 604 hp @ 5500 rpm
Net Torque 738 lb-ft @ 2,000 - 4,000 rpm

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/SL65.jsp

Wow, I still can't believe Merecedes uses SOHC 2v/cylinder tech in a $180k car.... Anyone else think that's pretty cheap?

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-05-2004, 07:56 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer

The 300SL's (Gullwings) from back in the day were one of the few benz' that could handle (were 2900lbs and had 240hp too)...and i mean, you put that car on modern tires...It will easily hand a Mustang GT it's ass on a road course.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-06-2004, 06:17 AM   #11
importluva
Obsessed with imports

As i suspected, this car is crazy heavy. 4473lb fully loaded. What a big turnoff. For that kind of money, id rather be in a next gen 997 911 GT2.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Wow, I still can't believe Merecedes uses SOHC 2v/cylinder tech in a $180k car.... Anyone else think that's pretty cheap?

if it makes more power than the other variants of valve configuration then no...its not cheap. its making more power.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:51 AM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

heh, i had seen this car on the Car and Driver show on spike tv, but i didnt know the complete specs. im surprised that MB used a sohc 2v/cylinder design. even more surprised they manage so much power on the car, even if its a twin turbo, its still alot of power, specially the torque curve.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:31 AM   #14
heebee
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100

Errr, chaps, 36 divided by 12 is 3, not 2. That means that this engine actually has 3v/cylinder tech.

Who told you 4v/cylinder was better? Marketing. 3v/cylinder is actually better than 4v/cylinder in many ways:

- less complex.
- With 2 inlet ports, you can still control swirl and tumble, and have adequate airflow into the cylinder.
- Why would you need 2 exhaust ports? You don't need to control swirl and tumble, so one, larger valve will do the job.
- Only having three valves gives the engine designer more freedom with the positioning of the spark plug (you don't have much choice with a 4v/cyl engine: it has to go in the middle).

Having said all that, I still think the current range of Mercs look cheap inside, and the styling says 'old man' to me.

And if I was in the market for something as blisteringly quick as this, I'd like it to handle pretty well. Most recent reviews for Mercs seem to suggest they haven't really got a handle on this. Jaguars handle well and are comfortable, so why can't Merc manage it?
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #15
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

[quote=Car Guy]What do you think of the new Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG with the dual turbo chargers?

hmmm.. i think the pricetags like its weight very heavy.. I think it looks really nice but to be honest i wouldnt go for it.. id much rather take the money get a porsche its nice though

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote