Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #1
BigBadBrat
CF Newbie

difference between Firebird and Trans Am

whats the difference between firebird and trans am?? they all look the same...can someone tell me? i saw a pic of a 2002 firebird with bodykits on, it was awesome!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

whats the difference from corolas and civics? they look the same?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
speedy266
CF Newbie

lol funny stuff man
speedy266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
BigBadBrat
CF Newbie

so? whats the difference? i type pontiac firebird and pontiac trans am on google image search and the results are the same...it showed same kind of car...everything was the same
Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
omega
CF Newbie

Alot of manufacturers have very similar vehicles under different brands. For example Chrysler Town n Country = Dodge Caravan = Plymouth Voyager. Its just a way to make money by marketing different brands mostly.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
76MonteMan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBrat
whats the difference between firebird and trans am?? they all look the same...can someone tell me? i saw a pic of a 2002 firebird with bodykits on, it was awesome!

It's pretty much just an "upped" version of the Firebird. Kind of how the Monte Carlo's from 73-77 have the upped version of the S-coupe called the Landau coupe. They also have the Pontiac Firebird "Firehawk."

Omega would also be correct. A lot of car manufacturers sell cars that are similar, but with different names. Examples would also be the Oldsmobile Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and Chevrolet Chevelle/Malibu. From 73-88 these cars shared pretty much the same body style, but had slight changes to them.

Dustin Denner
Owner: 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau
1/4 mile ET: 14.45 seconds @ 94.37 MPH
0-60 MPH: 5.71 seconds
76MonteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBrat

A Pontiac Trans Am is just the top-of-the-line Firebird. You may have also heard of the Pontiac "Formula", which has the same engine as the Trans Am, but lacks the cosmetic difference.

Base model Firebirds offer V6's, cloth interior and no fog lights.

Formula Firebirds come with V8's, different tires and cloth interior.

Trans Am Firebirds come with the same V8 as the Formula Firebird, but they also come with fog lights, leather interior, and minor fascia differences, and larger tires.

Trans Ams are about $3,000 more than Formula Firebirds while having only cosmetic differences. You may also see a few Firebirds with extra options like the WS6 option which upgrades the tires and gives you the Ram Air system which adds about 20 hp. After 2000, Pontiac only offered the WS6 package to the Trans Am Firebirds.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I find it odd that people who are smart enough to type a message on a message board, and apparently are car enthusiasts, don't understand the concept of trim levels. A Trans Am IS a Firebird, the same way a Civic Si is a Civic. A Trans Am is NOT a Firebird in the same way a Civic Si is NOT a Civic DX.

Of course they look the same, the basic car is the same. The Trans Am is Firbird with appearance and performance options. Like the Corvette Z06 is a basic Corvette with performance and appearance options. Like an Audi S4 is an A4 with performance and appearance options. Like a 911 Turbo is a 911 with performance and appearance options.

ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #9
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Of course they look the same, the basic car is the same. The Trans Am is Firbird with appearance and performance options. Like the Corvette Z06 is a basic Corvette with performance and appearance options. Like an Audi S4 is an A4 with performance and appearance options. Like a 911 Turbo is a 911 with performance and appearance options.

Your explanation was unneeded, the question has already been answered in detail. Not all people come to forums as a car guru, so leave the boy alone. The boy is simply trying to learn something.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #10
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

actually "what" ChrisV's post was more explanatory.. so i dont think it was "un-needed".
Old 09-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #11
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Both answers were great AND needed. They get the message across to different groups of people. What's was subject specific and Chris v's was more general giving other examples.

Omega's answer was more related to the Pontiac Firebird and the Chevy Camaro. Both companies owned by GM and both models using the same basic body.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Your explanation was unneeded, the question has already been answered in detail. Not all people come to forums as a car guru, so leave the boy alone. The boy is simply trying to learn something.

While you had answered the specific question, I was pointing out how it could be used to boost common sense when looking at cars in general. I'm not telling them they should come on here as a car guru, I'm telling people that they can use common sense and apply what they know from other examples to answer their own questions and BECOME car gurus.

It's the old proverb: give a man a fish and he eats today. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

"Leaving the boy alone" doesn't help him learn anything..

ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #13
BigBadBrat
CF Newbie

hey everybody needs to ask and learn before they becum expert ect...
pontiac is never in my list untill i saw this firebird car at the parking lot and makes me wanna kno more about it.

so its like Jaguar S-type and Jaguar S-type R i see....

"A Pontiac Trans Am is just the top-of-the-line Firebird." that was a perfect explanation! ima get the trans am for sure!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:17 AM   #14
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
actually "what" ChrisV's post was more explanatory.. so i dont think it was "un-needed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Both answers were great AND needed. They get the message across to different groups of people. What's was subject specific and Chris v's was more general giving other examples.

Omega's answer was more related to the Pontiac Firebird and the Chevy Camaro. Both companies owned by GM and both models using the same basic body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
While you had answered the specific question, I was pointing out how it could be used to boost common sense when looking at cars in general. I'm not telling them they should come on here as a car guru, I'm telling people that they can use common sense and apply what they know from other examples to answer their own questions and BECOME car gurus.

It's the old proverb: give a man a fish and he eats today. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

"Leaving the boy alone" doesn't help him learn anything..

Oh my God. Are you people that damn petty? Three of you, instead of talking about the subject, you dissected my response. Jesus Christ, you bitches....uh...people..... just get worse and worse.

No wonder there are so many arguments on this forum.

Last edited by What : 09-14-2004 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:06 AM   #15
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Oh my God. Are you people that damn petty? Three of you, instead of talking about the subject, you dissected my response. Jesus Christ, you bitches....uh...people..... just get worse and worse.

No wonder there are so many arguments on this forum.
And all you are doing is antagonizing the people who were trying to point out that you had made an incorrect statement.

...So take a deep breath...Now let it out... and take a chill pill and soda, its on me.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote