Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2004, 05:52 AM   #1
Waga
CF Newbie

My first car, what to ...

Hi everybody.
I on the look after my first car and need a littel advice, because i have fallen in love with a Ford Mustang year 1966.
Because it my first car buy I think i would be a good ideer, to ask some top guys like you, what i should be careful with with a Mustang 1966 and what is some good things to look into on a car like that?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks in advance
Jacob
Waga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
EzMustang
CF Newbie

you are probably going to have to replace the floorpans, maybe shocks, engine, well damn maybe the whole car... lol. you are going to need a lot of money to maintain that thing trust me
EzMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzMustang
you are probably going to have to replace the floorpans, maybe shocks, engine, well damn maybe the whole car... lol. you are going to need a lot of money to maintain that thing trust me
I don't even know what to say other than you stupid f*ck. What septic tank did you suck that load of sh*t from? How the f*ck would you know the condition of this car?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:04 AM   #4
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

my advice would be to check the trunk pan and rear frame rail area...if you have holes, regardless how small, in the rear frame rails then it's not worth it...not for your first car.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:48 AM   #5
Waga
CF Newbie

Thanks

Thanks alot Sick88Tbird, i will look after that. That is what i call a helpful hand.

If anyone else have any good advice i would be greatful.

Thanks again.
Jacob
Waga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
EzMustang
CF Newbie

hey dodge it was a god damn joke you piece of shit. what the hell is up your ass

2003 ford mustang fastback
EzMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzMustang
hey dodge it was a god damn joke you piece of shit. what the hell is up your ass
A joke? No dickweed, you're the joke.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
A joke? No dickweed, you're the joke.

EzMustang =

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Arrow Great car

An older Mustang would make a great first car they are inexpensive, easy to work on, parts are very easy to find, and the icing on the cake is they look good.

Defiantly visually inspect the undercarriage since it is a uni-body car. Also check for tell-tell sign of abuse such as ladder bar or other signs that it may have been a racer. Not that any of that is bad, but it may tell you to look harder for signs that it was mechanically mistreated.

I wouldn’t worry so much about minor body rust (as long as it doesn’t involve the frame), just be sure to adjust the price accordingly. All of that can easily be fixed and if you plan on customizing it any you will most likely paint it anyways.

Some options that will help it hold its value are A/C (in 66’ it was a dealer add-on so it will be under the dash, ’67 had factory air in the dash), a factory 4 speed, and of course the GT option is very coveted.

Hope that helped.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #10
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
Defiantly visually inspect the undercarriage since it is a uni-body car.

Lol. Sorry, no advice on the Stang, but that just made me laugh.

Peace.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 PM   #11
DaytonaTurbo
CF Newbie

I'll give you some helpful advice pal. I've gone through several project cars before landing on what I'm driving now. I'm a dodge boy, but my experience can be taken by anyone. My first project car was a plymouth scamp. It looked like an old man's car from the outside, and came with a 318. My plan was to put a warmed up 360 in it with some decent gears. I bought this car for dirt cheap when I was 14, so I didnt' know alot at the time. I wanted an old mopar a body car, and this was one. As time passed by I learned what the problem spots were on these cars, and it turns out this car was really rusted in the back. The rear of the frame was just shot. So I sold it, and went just with my daytona for a while. A year later I bought a dodge dart, essentially the same car with different badging on it, which was in better shape, but I ended up selling it because it was too rusty underneath to take the power I wanted to put into it. The I bought my Satellite, which came with a 440, decent gears, a decent paint job and was really really solid underneath, with not a spec of rust underneath. That's the only way to go. Now that I've had experience with these cars and others, I know what to look for on old cars, but you don't. Don't put a dime into it if it's not very solid underneath. You'll be much more satisfied in the end if you sell it off and buy something that's really solid.(not that I'm making a specific comment about your car, but rather classic cars in general) And as far as engines go, you never said what you want, but any 40 year old engine is going to need a rebuild, and they ain't cheap.
DaytonaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #12
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

have you ever concidered taking a look at the 2005 mustangs? werent they suppose to be the "retro" style of the '66 or '67?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #13
Reddie
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
have you ever concidered taking a look at the 2005 mustangs? werent they suppose to be the "retro" style of the '66 or '67?
Have you ever looked at the price tag on a 2005 Mustang? My guess is that he doesn't have the funds.

Sheesh. :P
Reddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
The Godfather
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddie
Have you ever looked at the price tag on a 2005 Mustang? My guess is that he doesn't have the funds.

Sheesh. :P

if you wait a couple of months, maybe a year, find some '05 stang from some dude that didnt want it anymore. a used car, though in great condition, practically new with almost no miles, is a lot cheaper than a new car. it can be done.

Lowrider - an '85 Caddy in the very near future ** life in the right lane **
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:19 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

While teh '05s are nice, there's nothing like starting with a calssic and do ing teh work to it yourself. that way you learn about cars and become experienced, rather than just another fool with enough money to buy a new car.

The early Mustangs have a huge following, so getting parts is easy. It's hard to pass up a rusty example, as most of the good ones have alreay been snagged by collectors. What used to be considered scrap, or at best just a parts car, is now being considered a good starting point. And unlike things like Darts or Scamps, the restoration parts are easily available AND the cars are worth enough finished to make it financially viable. Not so true with some other cars.

The primary considerations are, if it has been repaired, was it repaired well? While it's easy to repair correctly, it's also easy to repair poorly, and many have been to take advantage of their desireability, in hopes that careless buyers will snatch up anything. A worn original car is better than a poorly repaired car. If you want to build a performance or modded version, don't turn down previously modded ones that are done like you'd want them. While I abhor people who try to get mods for free, in essence stealing them from the builder, you can still get a better deal than buying the parts new yourself. Again, make sure they were done properly, and not haphazardly done to a car that needed basic structural work to start with.

Also remember, it doesn't take perfection to make a car a fun driver. Do things in easly accomplished chunks that will allow you to enjoy the car and still use it occasionally, so you don't lose interest, and have a non-running project sitting there for years...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote