Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004, 05:44 AM   #1
TBirdMischief
CF Newbie

Tweaking a Turbo Coupe

Alright I have a pretty basic 1987 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. 4-Cylinder, 2.3L, 5-speed, turbo puts out about 15lbs of boost, it's got the ride control and the rest of the goodies like climate control etc. This will be a fun nice looking driver, not a show car.

Currently it's going through some basic repairs, needed new coil springs, brakes, radiator, blah blah. Only modification I have really found has been a straight pipe with no muffler, the catalytic converter is still there. Most of the gaskets in the engine are going to be replaced shortly. Will probably pull the whole engine to do this.

Now for the question;
What can/should I do to give it a little better performance? From most of the posts I have read doesn't appear to be much I can do. Is this true? I do not want to switch to a nonturbo engine, nor would I really even consider it. Money isn't a terribly huge problem, but I don't want to spend a ton considering it still need body work. The more I spend now, the longer it has to wait for a decent paint job and the rust removed.

Looking for any/all suggestions, let me know what other info y'all need.

Cat

Quote:
What's life without a little Mischief?
TBirdMischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

I am sure there is a ton of infomation on the web for the 2.3 turbo motor. I have one that is going into a Bradley GTII one of these days.

Here is one site I found:2.3 webring

Just google on ford 2.3 turbo performance.

Good luck.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
87Cougar347
CF Newbie

Also you should check out www.coolcats.net , go into their forums, the have tons of stuff for 2.3s 3.8s and 5.0s. Good luck
87Cougar347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
Turboy
CF Newbie

Another great site is the NATO - North American Turbocoupe Organization - I have an 88 Turbo coupe and have picked up a LOT of great info there - plus theyr'e all a bunch of nice people.......these cars have a lot of performance potential and can make up to 300 hp without a lot of expensive mods (relatively speaking)....
Turboy is offline   Reply With Quote