Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2003, 05:19 AM   #1
JM41KT

HELP with finding a fast car

im 16 and getting my first car. I want a fast car that i can mod on a buget of a 16 year old(working). Any opinions?
Old 06-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
57ock
CF Addict

Depends on how much money u have. And how fast u want it to be.
Fast car is something that can do 11 second 1/4 miles or better
Old 06-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Re: HELP with finding a fast car

JM41KT said -
"im 16 and getting my first car. I want a fast car that i can mod on a buget of a 16 year old(working). Any opinions?"

How much are you willing to pay on your insurance?
It might be a good idea to get some quotes on something like a 90-94 Nissan 300ZX TT (0-60 in 5.5 seconds and a top speed of 155mph) to start with and if that's too much then ask for some quotes on something that's more of a compromise like the latest Toyota Celica (0-60 in about 8 seconds).
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 04:46 AM   #4
srt4racer03

new car

hey,
I just bought an 03 srt-4. It is 20 grand, maybe expensive for 16 year old but it is fast sporty and four door with five seats. I can burn any honda and town and keep up with 300zx's. Its a car you dont have to mod and it is brand new. You get a good warranty and the car is quick and fun. Tell me what you think later
Old 06-04-2003, 05:43 PM   #5
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Re: new car

srt4racer03 said -
"hey,
I just bought an 03 srt-4. It is 20 grand, maybe expensive for 16 year old but it is fast sporty and four door with five seats. I can burn any honda and town and keep up with 300zx's. Its a car you dont have to mod and it is brand new. You get a good warranty and the car is quick and fun. Tell me what you think later"

All you’ve talked about in your 5 posts so far has been the SRT-4 and in one post you even said that it costs 19 grand when in this one you say that it costs 20 grand. I agree with everything positive that you say about it but you could buy an older car with at least RWD and a straight six engine for a cheaper price that’s still reliable and in good condition. Having a four banger that can keep up with cars ranging from straight sixes to V8s is nothing to brag about. If you’re going to own a car about as fast as the SRT-4 then it might as well -
1. At least have RWD so that a rear spoiler is functional and so there’s no torque steer.
2. At least have a straight six engine so that it’s smoother than a four-cylinder engine and with a better exhaust note.
The dual exhaust on the SRT-4 is pretentious as the two exits join up under the car and are linked to the same header as opposed to a double-barrelled engine with two exhausts that are linked to two separate headers. If the depreciation of the new SRT-4 is anything like the Neon then your going to be losing a lot of money on it in a short space of time but then somebody’s got to take the initial depreciation hit for the rest of us used car buyers P

On the other hand I suppose that it’s a matter of personal preference. Some people actually prefer FWD, flat four engines and four/five doors on their sports cars.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
srt4racer03 said: -
"hey,
I just bought an 03 srt-4. It is 20 grand, maybe expensive for 16 year old but it is fast sporty and four door with five seats. I can burn any honda and town and keep up with 300zx's. Its a car you dont have to mod and it is brand new. You get a good warranty and the car is quick and fun. Tell me what you think later"

All youíve talked about in your 5 posts so far has been the SRT-4 and in one post you even said that it costs 19 grand when in this one you say that it costs 20 grand. I agree with everything positive that you say about it but you could buy an older car with at least RWD and a straight six engine for a cheaper price thatís still reliable and in good condition. Having a four banger that can keep up with cars ranging from straight sixes to V8s is nothing to brag about. If youíre going to own a car about as fast as the SRT-4 then it might as well: -
1. At least have RWD so that a rear spoiler is functional and so thereís no torque steer.
2. At least have a straight six engine so that itís smoother than a four-cylinder engine and with a better exhaust note.
The dual exhaust on the SRT-4 is pretentious as the two exits join up under the car and are linked to the same header as opposed to a double-barrelled engine with two exhausts that are linked to two separate headers. If the depreciation of the new SRT-4 is anything like the Neon then your going to be losing a lot of money on it in a short space of time but then somebodyís got to take the initial depreciation hit for the rest of us used car buyers :P

On the other hand I suppose that itís a matter of personal preference. Some people actually prefer FWD, flat four engines and four/five doors on their sports cars.

Snoope, thanks for saying essentially what I was thinking. It saved me a bunch of typing.

I gotta correct you on one point though. A Neon has a transverse, inline four. I'm the flat four guy in here (air-cooled VW's). Oh yeah, Subaru's too.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:11 AM   #7
Arthur
On Probation

Re: HELP with finding a fast car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM41KT
im 16 and getting my first car. I want a fast car that i can mod on a buget of a 16 year old(working). Any opinions?

First off, your 16 you cant have a whole lot of experience a real fast car is not advised start small get some more experience before you go fast, and second most insurance companys Wont insure a 16 year old on a real fast sports car and if they Do the insurance will be Incredibly HIGH.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:14 AM   #8
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
"hey,

All youíve talked about in your 5 posts so far has been the SRT-4 and in one post you even said that it costs 19 grand when in this one you say that it costs 20 grand. I agree with everything positive that you say about it but you could buy an older car with at least RWD and a straight six engine for a cheaper price thatís still reliable and in good condition. Having a four banger that can keep up with cars ranging from straight sixes to V8s is nothing to brag about. If youíre going to own a car about as fast as the SRT-4 then it might as well: -
1. At least have RWD so that a rear spoiler is functional and so thereís no torque steer.
2. At least have a straight six engine so that itís smoother than a four-cylinder engine and with a better exhaust note.
The dual exhaust on the SRT-4 is pretentious as the two exits join up under the car and are linked to the same header as opposed to a double-barrelled engine with two exhausts that are linked to two separate headers. If the depreciation of the new SRT-4 is anything like the Neon then your going to be losing a lot of money on it in a short space of time but then somebodyís got to take the initial depreciation hit for the rest of us used car buyers :P

On the other hand I suppose that itís a matter of personal preference. Some people actually prefer FWD, flat four engines and four/five doors on their sports cars.
ooh more cylinders just so it Sounds nice, you have just lost any credibility you had. and a rwd Can have Toruqe steer, a lsd eliminates that on a fwd and rwd car, and just because a rwd has a spoiler doenst meen the spoiler is going to actually work Alot of cars have them Just for looks even when the car is rwd.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:21 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
Quote:
"hey,

ooh more cylinders just so it Sounds nice, you have just lost any credibility you had. and a rwd Can have Toruqe steer, a lsd eliminates that on a fwd and rwd car, and just because a rwd has a spoiler doenst meen the spoiler is going to actually work Alot of cars have them Just for looks even when the car is rwd.

Speaking of lost credibility...... Torque steer is caused by differing torque, caused by different halfshaft angles, being applied to the steering wheels. Unless you have a car with rear wheel drive car with rear wheel steering you will not have torque steer in a RWD car.

Installing an LSD on a FWD car will normally increase torque steer if the car already suffered from torque steer.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 06-05-2003, 04:22 AM   #10
JM41KT

what car should i get? I have $10,000 to buy a used car.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:03 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM41KT
what car should i get? I have $10,000 to buy a used car.

People, why do we keep getting questions of this nature? If you have no idea what type of car you want, how do you expect total strangers, online to be able to reasonably help you?

We know two things. You're 16 years old and you have $10k. Now let's list some things we don't know.

1. Where do you live?
2. What kind of cars do you like?
3. What kind of driving do you like to do?
4. How much can you afford for insurance?
5. Define fast.
6. Define mod.
7. Can you do your own mods?
8. What kind of mods?
9. Weekend toy, daily driver?
10. How much can you afford for upkeep?

The list goes on and on. If you, or anybody else, is serious about buying a car they will have already asked these questions and many more of themselves. Coming into a forum and asking "what car should i get?" is at best lazy but more likely ridiculous. You really seem to be without a clue. Please think before hitting submit.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:06 AM   #12
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Firstly, I’ll thank vwhobo for correcting me on my “flat four” remark.

What Arthur said directed at me however is a different matter. vwhobo has saved me having to point out a second time that a RWD car DOESN’T get torque steer (unless it has 4WS) and that LSD doesn’t correct torque steer. Now I’ll point out that I didn’t say engines with six and eight cylinders are better just because of the sound they make but mainly because they are smoother than four-cylinder engines. That was an interesting remark about rear spoilers though. I wonder how many standard spoilers on RWD or 4WD cars aren't actually aerodynamic but just cosmetic? The same goes for aftermarket spoilers that people put on their RWD or 4WD cars. What does anyone think?

Can I ask what the insurance grouping is like in America? In England it ranges from IG 1-20 but then 20 normally means that it’s off the scale and it could cost anything. A Ford Focus 2.0 16v is IG 8 in England. Does anyone know what group the Focus is in America? I’m just curious.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:52 AM   #13
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:
Quote:
"hey,

Speaking of lost credibility...... Torque steer is caused by differing torque, caused by different halfshaft angles, being applied to the steering wheels. Unless you have a car with rear wheel drive car with rear wheel steering you will not have torque steer in a RWD car.

Installing an LSD on a FWD car will normally increase torque steer if the car already suffered from torque steer.

a Good LSD will ELIMINATE TORQUE STEER
Old 06-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:
Quote:
"hey,

a Good LSD will ELIMINATE TORQUE STEER

Typing it in all capitol letters doesn't make it so.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #15
Arthur
On Probation

i know people who run FWD drag cars and guess what, there LSD's just So happen to eliminate the torque steer they had. Oh Ma Gawd!