Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
Smeltz
CF Newbie

Talking 17k budget, ideas wanted

[font=Courier New]Hey the time has come to buy a new car and my father has agreed that the budget is around 17 thousand, heres the deal we tried out a 2004 srt-4 that was about 17500 but he thought it was to much power for me to handle. I prefer import cars and like to stay away from american made cars. i was thinking about a 99-00 civic si and possible buying a cheap turbo kit or osmthing of this sort, but then he brings up the question of whether that would make to much power and be simlilar to the srt-4 i dont think it would make that much but any help or input on the civic or any other cars would be appreciated. again im hoping to find a car with some zip around the 200hp mark or so.

thanks seltz--
Smeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
sc0rched
CF Newbie

Can you elaborate a little more, 200hp acts different in all cars depending on weight, size, etc.. Also, Isnt Dodge american made? The civic is a nice car, however it is very common, not sure if you like that or not. It is a fine car for most people, but I am not sure how much hp you will get out of that car with a turbocharger on it, but you can expect ~20% improvement in hp is my guess, you can do the math .
Old 09-20-2004, 06:06 AM   #3
Smeltz
CF Newbie

thanks for the reply, yes i should have been more specific on my briefing now that i look back. i know the dodge was american made but for the price and performence it was still somthign worth pursuing however i do prefer the imports. As far as the weight, or size of the car im thinking somthing in the same class as the civic. The mazda protegespeed has now entered the picture as a candidate, the only problem im seeing with these is that it doesnt seem like they have as many after market features,such as exterior, interior and performence parts. In mycase it wouldnt need much but maybe a little sothing to seperate it form the rest, dont get me wrong ive seen some nice mazdaspeeds. Any ways if anyone else would like to make a response feel free cause im open to suggestions.

Thanks Seltz-
Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
grocer
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeltz
[font=Courier New]Hey the time has come to buy a new car and my father has agreed that the budget is around 17 thousand, heres the deal we tried out a 2004 srt-4 that was about 17500 but he thought it was to much power for me to handle. I prefer import cars and like to stay away from american made cars. i was thinking about a 99-00 civic si and possible buying a cheap turbo kit or osmthing of this sort, but then he brings up the question of whether that would make to much power and be simlilar to the srt-4 i dont think it would make that much but any help or input on the civic or any other cars would be appreciated. again im hoping to find a car with some zip around the 200hp mark or so.

thanks seltz--

There's two questions/answers at work here:

What would I as a parent buy my child? In this case, a Mazda3 i with a stick, power package, and air...oh, and 15" alloys. And very detailed instructions expalining how their ass is grass if anything happens to the car. On second thought, I wouldn't buy them anything newer than '00 and more than 8K and use the 11K to cover insurance and gas for 'em.

The other question would be How do I maximize my power to economy ratio? My first pick would be a 1995-ish BMW 325i Sedan...184HP, nice torquey six, manuals available, four doors, Civic size. Find an AWD (325xi) and you're golden...if RWD is a factor...i.e. snow falls in winter. Looks responsible, outperforms the Portege and Civic Si, not any worse for parts availability.
grocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:53 AM   #5
Smeltz
CF Newbie

THanks for the input, ill check out the bmw's, and yes i am in minnesota so having front or all wheel drive is a must.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:58 AM   #6
sc0rched
CF Newbie

I have to agree, for european imports BMW would be a nice choice to go with, they are reliable, handle well, and fun to drive with not so much cost at the 3-series level. I havnt driven a 3 series myself, but I have driven a 740il, and it was a completely different experience then driving a Honda. You dont even realize you are driving a car!! The acceleration is smooth as a running a hot knife through butter, and same with the breaks. The steering is the same way, a lot tighter compared to the Honda. I am planning on getting a E36 M3 in the near future to drive, BMW makes nice cars, however you insurance will be more than a Honda or some other car. 3 series are one of the most common cars to get into wreaks, but shouldnt be to bad for older years. I would also recommend Mazda, Pontiac, Honda, Nissan, and SAABs. A lot of the car depends on your style.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Smeltz
CF Newbie

i looked around at the bmw's and did indeed find some nice cars, but i think that the insurance rates would be a factor that i would have to consider. I recently test drove a mazda speed protege and it was very nice. It was quick and pretty sharp looking. For now it looks like i mite be getting a speed protege. If some1 thinks this is a big mistake i wouldnt mind hearing why, and for those who like them they can tell me what they like or anythign to help make them better int he future

Thanks Seltz-
Old 09-23-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
What
Banned

Quote:
we tried out a 2004 srt-4 that was about 17500 but my dad thought it was to much power for me to handle.
This is what you do:
Go find your dad, grab his face, then slap it.
Quote:
I prefer import cars and like to stay away from american made cars. i was thinking about a 99-00 civic si and possible buying a cheap turbo kit or something of this sort....mazda protegespeed has now entered the picture as a candidate
Now do this:
Go find yourself, grab your face, and slap it.
The Mazda-Speed Protege sucks. If I had 17.5 k to blow on a car, I'd buy a used Corvette. But your dad sucks and won't let you get a powerful car, and insurance is a factor so.....

You have to realise that insurance is going to be pretty pricey for any sporty car with over 200 hp. What about an AWD, 210 hp 1997'-1999' Eclipse GSX? Good lookin', quick, and all the crank-walk problems to suck up the rest of your money on repair bills...
Just kidding, I never had crank walk.
You could find a nice GSX or at least a GS-T for $10,000 or less. The aftermarket on them is massive.

If you want to be typical, then go right ahead and get your weak-ass, not-as-reliable-as-advertised, Civic.

Last edited by What : 09-24-2004 at 12:08 AM. Reason: No reason, I just wanted "what" to appear in small, italicized letters under my signature. I love myself.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:41 AM   #9
JackJohn
CF Newbie

Definatly A Supra

Go for for a 1990s supra and just supe it up like a dirty
JackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:51 AM   #10
Smeltz
CF Newbie

when i say that the mazda speed interests me, and that the budget is about 17k. it doesnt mean that the mazda is going to cost 17 grand.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:14 AM   #11
SNiPeRViRuS
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
This is what you do:
Go find your dad, grab his face, then slap it.

Now do this:
Go find yourself, grab your face, and slap it.
The Mazda-Speed Protege sucks. If I had 17.5 k to blow on a car, I'd buy a used Corvette. But your dad sucks and won't let you get a powerful car, and insurance is a factor so.....

You have to realise that insurance is going to be pretty pricey for any sporty car with over 200 hp. What about an AWD, 210 hp 1997'-1999' Eclipse GSX? Good lookin', quick, and all the crank-walk problems to suck up the rest of your money on repair bills...
Just kidding, I never had crank walk.
You could find a nice GSX or at least a GS-T for $10,000 or less. The aftermarket on them is massive.

If you want to be typical, then go right ahead and get your weak-ass, not-as-reliable-as-advertised, Civic.

u have got problems. u r probably jealous because ur dad never u any sht.

leave peoples parents out of this, if i were to insult ur mom how would u feel.
oh yeah one more thing
SNiPeRViRuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:07 PM   #12
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNiPeRViRuS
u have got problems. u r probably jealous because ur dad never u any sht.

leave peoples parents out of this, if i were to insult ur mom how would u feel.

Quote From "What's" Book of Knowledge
"People aren't born bitches, they choose to become one..."

You, my friend, are about to become a bitch.
In your previous cries for answers, I helped you. Others did not. Calm down.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
SNiPeRViRuS
CF Enthusiast

sorry its just that everyone here picks on each other, wats up wit that. sorry for attacking u.

and i wud like to become a bitch then i can bitch slap people
Old 10-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNiPeRViRuS
i wud like to become a bitch
Okay, you're a bitch. While we're at it, wipe that sperm off your chin.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:10 PM   #15
SNiPeRViRuS
CF Enthusiast

no i think i like the sperm exactly where it is. and no one here asked ur opinion u old geezer.