Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2004, 02:37 AM   #1
alex_s249
CF Newbie

Mr2

Hi

I want to buy a car but don't know what to buy. do you think mr2 is reliable? i heard they have engine problems because the engine is in the back.? how much is mr2 in the USA cause in Australia they are like 18grand

Discuss the worlds largest Online Marketplace
http://www.ebay4um.com
alex_s249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #2
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_s249
Hi

I want to buy a car but don't know what to buy. do you think mr2 is reliable? i heard they have engine problems because the engine is in the back.? how much is mr2 in the USA cause in Australia they are like 18grand

Well, at least we have a car to start with. The MR2 does a MR layout, wich means (M)id-engine (R)ear wheel drive. Wich basicly means the engine is mounted behind the driver but infront of the rear wheels. This setup is used for an ideal weight distribution on cars. Yes the MR2 is very reliable, and the fact that the engine is in the rear does not affect its reliability anymore so than the engine being in the front. It just makes installing parts on it a pain and a half. Althought, from what experiecned drivers tell me, driving a MR car requires a little more tallent than just any ordinary FF, but you should have no problem if you're cautious.

If you are finding an MR2 for $18k, then you are proabably looking at a 2000-04 MR2 Spyder or MR-S(if they have them in australia). What I think you are looking for is a 2nd generation 1990-95 MR2. I've seen some of these as cheap as $800 all the way up to $8000 in almost perfect condition. They are damn good cars. I would'nt mind owning one and adding a few modifications to it.

This page contains all the basic information you want to know about the MR2. Do a little reading, come back and post some more questions.

If you're still intrested in the MR2 by the time you are done reading that page. Here are some links to where you can find information on aftermarket upgrades and misc. options for the car. Just in case you may be interested in purchasing mods. This should get you started in the right direction. Good Luck

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 09-22-2004 at 05:44 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
351ci-mustang
CF Newbie

get a mr2 man my friend has one and yeah there pretty reliable and there nice.
351ci-mustang is offline   Reply With Quote