Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2003, 06:44 AM   #1
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Mags?

Whats the definition of a 'mag' rim. i u usually hear it refered to when talking about domestics. Does it apply to all rims? or solid cast rims milled rims? i dunno help me out.

You don't "drive" a car, you "wear" it like clothes.

You can't race a house, but you can sleep in a car

R.I.P ~ Betsy (1988-2003)
84_Jetta_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:40 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Mags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Jetta_GLi
Whats the definition of a 'mag' rim. i u usually hear it refered to when talking about domestics. Does it apply to all rims? or solid cast rims milled rims? i dunno help me out.

Technically speaking "mags" are wheels forged of magnesium. This was common practice in the old days before aluminum technology progressed to the point that they could be made strong enough to last on the street. Now "mag wheel" is used as a generic term to describe alloy (usually aluminum) wheels.

Let's address another issue. What you are asking about are WHEELS. A rim is only the outer hoop (think of your Huffy when you were a kid). Once again in the old days wheels were made by joining two parts, the wheel center and the rim. Nowadays most, not all, wheels are made in one piece but the correct terminology is still wheel. If you buy just a rim you'll have no way to attach it to your car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Well now i know, thanks man. I allways thought the rim was the metal part in the center and with the rubber on it formed a wheel, but guess i was wrong,lol. atleast i know the answer now, thx again

Old 06-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Just thought of something else i wanted to figure out and figured ide just post it here. A turbo's out put is measured in PSI, is the PSI per cylinder or the total out put of the turbo?

Thx

Old 06-13-2003, 05:19 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Jetta_GLi
Just thought of something else i wanted to figure out and figured ide just post it here. A turbo's out put is measured in PSI, is the PSI per cylinder or the total out put of the turbo?

Thx

That's at the turbo but..... It's a common misconception that you can state "the Buttboy XYZ turbo puts out umpteen PSI". If you spin a turbo that's not connected to anything you'll have airflow but no pressure. To have have pressure you must have a restriction which of course is the intake tract of the engine that the turbo is connected to.

Also remember that your maximum boost is controlled by a pop-off valve or a boost controller. So how do they come up with the numbers you see advertised? In a lab on a bench turbos are spun at their maximum safe operating RPM. A guage is attached to the output end and that is the reading used for the spec sheet. All well and fine but not real world.

The procedure I described above is extremely simplified because I hate to type. Just remember it's a controlled environment not real world. As they say, your results may vary.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 06-13-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
Arthur
On Probation

dont they make rims in three piece, two piece and, a single forge thingie majig.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:08 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
dont they make rims in three piece, two piece and, a single forge thingie majig.

Well gee Arthur, if you read what I said above you would already know that you can get one or two piece WHEELS. And yes you can even get three piece WHEELS.

I have asked this before and will ask it again. Please do not bastardize the English language and call them "rims" when they are wheels.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #8
Arthur
On Probation

well i personaly dont care if i have the correct term or not because you just so happen to know what i was talking about and thats what counts.

you should be glad im not going "how u duin wats up brotha!!!"
LIke half of the people on this board....getting all upset over wrong term is somewhat stupid when half of the people on this board use Ebonics.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well i personaly dont care if i have the correct term or not because you just so happen to know what i was talking about and thats what counts.

LIke half of the people on this board....getting all upset over wrong term is somewhat stupid when half of the people on this board use Ebonics.

And calling a wheel a "rim" IS ebonics.

Old 06-28-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

And calling a wheel a "rim" IS ebonics.
NEGATIVE