Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

The Value of CF?

For some odd reason, I have not been sheduled to go into work for almost 4 days now. So while all my buddys are out making their good money, I'm left home for hours upon hours As usual with free time, I'll spend my hours searching the internet, reading automotive articles, checking out new and soon to become cars. One of the main things I have found myself doing is aimlessly browsing arround these forums.

As I get to my point, I'm bewildered by the ammount of boring topics throughout our forum. It seems that every other newbie comes in here asking wich cars is better than this, can I do this to this car, will this car beat this car if I do this to it, I have this much to spend what should I buy, how much HP will I get if I add these items, and the list just goes on and on like that.

I commonly find that all the question these people ask have allready been answered over hundreds of times in our very own forum and even more times at other places so easy to find. I sometimes wonder if the search button no longer works; but upon further inspection it does. I also wonder if peoples brains function properly. Although I may never be able to conclude that, I can safely say some people just don't think. Beyond the repetetive questions there are meanigless questions with little or no information to even answer them.

People come in here asking should they buy this car, or what would be a "cool" car for X ammount of money. They ask these questions as if we are carsalesmen who live in thier lives. People, we don't know you; and we sure ass hell don't know what you need. Damed if half of us care what car you buy. These are questions that can only be concluded by you and research that YOU find out. Reasearch does'nt mean go ask us at a forum n expect us to maid all of your work to you. Now I don't mind butlering information to people, but it gets old after a while.

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of really good threads here. Like DodgeRida's project car or ChrisV's project car. Lots of the informative threads and interesting topics. I was under the impression that vwhobo had an entire section where he posted automotive knowledge and howto. Those are the kinda things that make forums interesting. Maybe if we had an entire section that has stickies of automotive knowledge there would'nt be so many repetetive questions from newbies. So where has all of the good stuff gone to? Will it ever be back?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
Old 11-21-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
For some odd reason, I have not been sheduled to go into work for almost 4 days now. So while all my buddys are out making their good money, I'm left home for hours upon hours As usual with free time, I'll spend my hours searching the internet, reading automotive articles, checking out new and soon to become cars. One of the main things I have found myself doing is aimlessly browsing arround these forums.

As I get to my point, I'm bewildered by the ammount of boring topics throughout our forum. It seems that every other newbie comes in here asking wich cars is better than this, can I do this to this car, will this car beat this car if I do this to it, I have this much to spend what should I buy, how much HP will I get if I add these items, and the list just goes on and on like that.

I commonly find that all the question these people ask have allready been answered over hundreds of times in our very own forum and even more times at other places so easy to find. I sometimes wonder if the search button no longer works; but upon further inspection it does. I also wonder if peoples brains function properly. Although I may never be able to conclude that, I can safely say some people just don't think. Beyond the repetetive questions there are meanigless questions with little or no information to even answer them.

People come in here asking should they buy this car, or what would be a "cool" car for X ammount of money. They ask these questions as if we are carsalesmen who live in thier lives. People, we don't know you; and we sure ass hell don't know what you need. Damed if half of us care what car you buy. These are questions that can only be concluded by you and research that YOU find out. Reasearch does'nt mean go ask us at a forum n expect us to maid all of your work to you. Now I don't mind butlering information to people, but it gets old after a while.

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of really good threads here. Like DodgeRida's project car or ChrisV's project car. Lots of the informative threads and interesting topics. I was under the impression that vwhobo had an entire section where he posted automotive knowledge and howto. Those are the kinda things that make forums interesting. Maybe if we had an entire section that has stickies of automotive knowledge there would'nt be so many repetetive questions from newbies. So where has all of the good stuff gone to? Will it ever be back?

You know, I agree. It really pisses me off when someone creates a thread comparing car X with car Y. But what can you do.

About Hobo's "knowledge and how-to" section. It was called gearhead garage. It disappeared when Hobo did awhile ago. The excuse was "why have something around that was ran by someone who isnt here anymore." But the thing is no one ever said why he left, so you can't answer one question by referencing that question to another un-answered question. Everyone kept quiet about all that. I was about the only one who demanded answers and made a big deal out of it. Shortly after Hobo left... Adam disappreared off the face of these forums. Don't know if you were around...

I just checked on Gearhead Garage, because there is a link to it on the homepage of this website. Empty. Damnit.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:48 AM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Leads me to my next question. If vwhobo is here in the flesh. Why does'nt he tell us why he left. Or did he allready. I think I recall him saying something, but did'nt pay much attention to it. I've searched but can't find it. Somone have a link to that thread or hobo you wanna tell us why?

Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Leads me to my next question. If vwhobo is here in the flesh. Why does'nt he tell us why he left. Or did he allready. I think I recall him saying something, but did'nt pay much attention to it. I've searched but can't find it. Somone have a link to that thread or hobo you wanna tell us why?

Don't think he has. He doesn't have to and I dont suspect he wants to either.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

As I've said previously, telling you the exact circumstances would serve no productive purpose. In addition to that, when Adam was still around it would have turned into a I said/he said situation and now that he's apparently gone he's not here to defend his position. As you know, above all I believe in fair play.

Suffice it to say that I took a position from which I would not back down and due to the fact that I didn't have the ultimate power I lost. When time proved that I was correct (the approximately four months I didn't post), I came back.

Alright? Alright.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 11-21-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
As I've said previously, telling you the exact circumstances would serve no productive purpose. In addition to that, when Adam was still around it would have turned into a I said/he said situation and now that he's apparently gone he's not here to defend his position. As you know, above all I believe in fair play.

Suffice it to say that I took a position from which I would not back down and due to the fact that I didn't have the ultimate power I lost. When time proved that I was correct (the approximately four months I didn't post), I came back.

Alright? Alright.
Thats enough reasoning for me!
I must agree with DSM. There are some things on this forum that are quite annoying, and I must confess that some has stemmed from my keyboard and mouse, but not a great percentage of it. There is a bull on this forum that never goes away, but there are somethings that stay and keep it to be a decent forum. I just think that everything would be easier if Adam came back and we had some "spring cleaning" of the forums. That would be nice...

Old 11-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I just think that everything would be easier if Adam came back and we had some "spring cleaning" of the forums. That would be nice...

Nothing should be deleted. Some people like to read their old posts and "reminisce" on their old times. Maybe only all of your posts should be deleted. That would clear up about 900+ posts, and besides, no one wants to reminisce on your bullsh*t.

In a perfect world, I'd agree with DSMer. But in the real world, I understand that people don't feel like searching an entire forum's archives for answers, and I understand that everyone isn't an internet veteran, and this forum may be the first thing that popped up on a search engine when they were searching for answers to their car questions.

I understand.

The easiest way to not be bothered by "useless" topics and posts is to not read them or ignore them. It only takes a few seconds to read something, so if your nerves are short and you get pissed because you wasted 10 seconds reading something that's already been answered, take a chill pill...or come see me and I'll slap some "chill" into you.

All of my posts and topics are interesting...

Last edited by What : 11-23-2004 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Some of you don't like Jesus.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

The "spring cleaning" wasnt only of posts, I was thinking members... Watch your back Twit...

Perhaps some of my many are of Bullshit, but all of yours are... What happened to your friekin vacation..?

Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Vacations end...

Anyhoos, I thought the solution to a boring forum would have been to add more exciting topics, not remove the ones that are already here (regardless of their value?). I'm not sure what a "clean up" would achieve. Besides, yes, it does only take a few seconds to preview a post and decide you're not interested, and even less to see the poster and decide you don't want to read. So I don't see why members, especially, who have been here for a few months would have any reason to complain.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 PM   #10
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

True about noobs complaining... they have been here for a short time, what do they know...

My idea for the spring cleaning was mainly to delete old, unvisited threads that just take up space. One of the reasons behind slow speed on this forum is because of the large amount of threads. If the lame and stupid ads etc. where deleted it could go faster. Also if he did spring cleaning of the software that would be nice too.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #11
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Oh. Those are two seperate topics, though. Speed of the forum vs. quality of the topics. But I suppose they both contribute to the overall experience of visiting CF.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:36 AM   #12
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

It all relates to overall usefullness of the forum. I was talking about deleting threads that where ads, and other un-car-related, useless threads.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:40 AM   #13
mark_X
Banned

uhh....i hate 2 admit that ive been doing what dodgerida mentioned (comparing car y to car z or somethin like that)

but ya know, im just a newbie....there will be times when i say really stupid things, but at least im being more educated
Old 11-29-2004, 02:39 AM   #14
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Vacations end...

Anyhoos, I thought the solution to a boring forum would have been to add more exciting topics, not remove the ones that are already here (regardless of their value?). I'm not sure what a "clean up" would achieve. Besides, yes, it does only take a few seconds to preview a post and decide you're not interested, and even less to see the poster and decide you don't want to read. So I don't see why members, especially, who have been here for a few months would have any reason to complain.

Pfft, my ass. New members have just as much right to bitch as you did in the "Why so mean?" thread. Just as we paid you and your bitchy antics no attention, we express that right to not listen to newbies and their bitching. Cleaning up is'nt what needs to be done. Hell I don't think there can ever be anything done about newbs, bitchy people, ignorant people, and idiots alike (As you are still here JaneiR36); but if I can somehow fill the solemn itch of ignorance here on these forums... lets just say if I can awake one day to never see another ignorant person here that would be grand. This is a place of learning and I can only accept that as the reason for the constand idiocy.

It takes really dedicated teachers to deal with some of the idiots here. That kind of dedication I don't have. So as I've done before, and will continue to do. I shall bash idiots and embrace those whom are here for real knowledge with just that.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #15
JaneiR36
CF Freak

hey, DS-Loser , what was the point of your original post, again? You wrote this mile-long message that sane people were inclined to take seriously. Now you have and offer no solutions whatsoever to all the problems you mentioned. Take some time to answer that one. THEN tell me your definition of bitching

(This oughta be fun, to watch the imbecile run around chasing his tail to come up with an answer for that one. And then to suddenly put two and two together -- am I asking too much already? -- and realize he's been chasing his tail on the forums all along. Ah. For a girl to dream. Dreams come true, don't they?)
Closed Thread