Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
I meant the FAQ section for car questions, like;

what does a flywheel do?
or
Does a spoiler add HP?
or
How can you make NA power?

Yes, that is pretty much what the Gearhead Garage was; a FAQ section, except that vwhobo answered all the questions.

I'm not even saying that it has to be called "Gearhead Garage"(catchy name though) just Car FAQ would be fine.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:09 PM   #17
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
Yes, that is pretty much what the Gearhead Garage was; a FAQ section, except that vwhobo answered all the questions.

I'm not even saying that it has to be called "Gearhead Garage"(catchy name though) just Car FAQ would be fine.

That's what I'm saying. I'm putting it together now, I just need a mod to check out this forum so that I can get the A-okay. Maybe I'll just post it in the asian cars forum and they can move it and sticky it.

Carexpert, don't try and help. it'll be like my brother trying to help me wash my camaro with a steel sponge.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:54 PM   #18
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. I'm putting it together now, I just need a mod to check out this forum so that I can get the A-okay. Maybe I'll just post it in the asian cars forum and they can move it and sticky it.

Carexpert, don't try and help. it'll be like my brother trying to help me wash my camaro with a steel sponge.

ChrisV and I have allready been doing this in the Asian section. Where the hell have you guys been?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 AM   #19
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
ChrisV and I have allready been doing this in the Asian section. Where the hell have you guys been?

No, it seems to me that it's more of a Car x vs Car y thing going on in the asian forum. I'm just saying that this gets rid of a lot of n00b questions that most of the time we don't even bother answering.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:55 AM   #20
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
No, it seems to me that it's more of a Car x vs Car y thing going on in the asian forum. I'm just saying that this gets rid of a lot of n00b questions that most of the time we don't even bother answering.
No it doesn't. Giving a detailed answer on one question or explanation of a topic only brings a firestorm of questions, many unrelated, that requires a tremendous amount of time and patience to answer. That is why the original Gearhead Garage died an early death, what started out as a hoot became a full time job.

Besides, while your intentions are good, from reading your posts you simply don't have enough knowledge or experience to do the job. After all you thought the Porsche in another thread had a mid-engine. Come on! There are PLENTY of places (library, Google, How StuffWorks and my favorite, getting off your ass and working on cars instead of staring at your computer) for people to get the information they seek here but are too lazy to do the work themselves. If they truly want to know, they should find out for themselves and then maybe ask here for clarification.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:58 AM   #21
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Besides, while your intentions are good, from reading your posts you simply don't have enough knowledge or experience to do the job. After all you thought the Porsche in another thread had a mid-engine. Come on! There are PLENTY of places (library, Google, How StuffWorks and my favorite, getting off your ass and working on cars instead of staring at your computer) for people to get the information they seek here but are too lazy to do the work themselves. If they truly want to know, they should find out for themselves and then maybe ask here for clarification.

Of course I don't have enough knowledge or experience, that's why I asked for other to help out. I'm not saying that I'll run a gearhead garage, I'm saying I'll get the gears moving for a FAQ that would help a lot of people. Besides, I'll run the FAQ through people like you, so that you can point out any problems/errors/etc.

So what do you suggest? We just leave things as they are now and answer questions like; 'what does a clutch do?'
Old 01-21-2005, 02:27 AM   #22
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Of course I don't have enough knowledge or experience, that's why I asked for other to help out. I'm not saying that I'll run a gearhead garage, I'm saying I'll get the gears moving for a FAQ that would help a lot of people. Besides, I'll run the FAQ through people like you, so that you can point out any problems/errors/etc.

So what do you suggest? We just leave things as they are now and answer questions like; 'what does a clutch do?'
Read the first paragraph of my last post again. I have already been there and done that. I was the pioneer, in this forum obviously. It's not simple and it's not fun. There are people who get paid to write about these topics and most of them are good at what they do.

Now pay close attention to this. If someone truly wants information, they will find a way to get it other than on a forum. Those are the ones who don't post here with all their questions. Use me for an example. How many posts do I have on this forum asking for help? Yet I manage to expand my knowledge every single day. Why? Because I seek it out in the proper place. At the other end of the spectrum are people like AssEXPERT. He has no desire to learn, he wants spoon feeding and he's an immature little weenie at that. Most individuals are somewhere in the middle.

Bottom line is it can be done but it's far more work than it's worth.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:31 AM   #23
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:

Soooo.....Basically, we point them in the right direction by posting a link, and that's it? Or we do nothing and make them learn on their own? In my opinion, Knowledge flows from those who have to those who want it. But, like you said, people start to get spoon-fed like carexpert. So, when someone posts a question like; "How do I get mor WHP?" what do you suggest we do?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:32 AM   #24
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Soooo.....Basically, we point them in the right direction by posting a link, and that's it? Or we do nothing and make them learn on their own? In my opinion, Knowledge flows from those who have to those who want it. But, like you said, people start to get spoon-fed like carexpert. So, when someone posts a question like; "How do I get mor WHP?" what do you suggest we do?

Giggle...as that has been asked at least one hundred times on this forum alone.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:37 AM   #25
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Read the first paragraph of my last post again. I have already been there and done that. I was the pioneer, in this forum obviously. It's not simple and it's not fun. There are people who get paid to write about these topics and most of them are good at what they do.

Now pay close attention to this. If someone truly wants information, they will find a way to get it other than on a forum. Those are the ones who don't post here with all their questions. Use me for an example. How many posts do I have on this forum asking for help? Yet I manage to expand my knowledge every single day. Why? Because I seek it out in the proper place. At the other end of the spectrum are people like AssEXPERT. He has no desire to learn, he wants spoon feeding and he's an immature little weenie at that. Most individuals are somewhere in the middle.

I kind of knew most of the stuff I asked but I just wanted to clarify if I was accually right. I read up most of the things that I asked but they dont tell you everything and I dont really understand it even though I read it over and over again. I'm sorry by the way that I am and i'll try to mature more and not to ask too stupid questions.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:40 AM   #26
CarEXPERT
Banned

It would help me a lot if you guys put this FAQ up because I'll be learning the basic stuff and I can ask basic stuff and get answers to it, so I wouldnt have to ask it in here and get everybody mad
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:43 AM   #27
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
It would help me a lot if you guys put this FAQ up because I'll be learning the basic stuff and I can ask basic stuff and get answers to it, so I wouldnt have to ask it in here and get everybody mad

This is the "umpteenth" time I see you post this question/plea...

Kill this question of yours already.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 AM   #28
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
This is the "umpteenth" time I see you post this question/plea...

Kill this question of yours already.

carexpert, what did I already tell you, either ask your parents, or read every link on this web page;
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/channe...uto&ct=library

I don't think we're going to answer many more of your questions if it's available at that site.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:41 AM   #29
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

Godlaudus, Hobo is point on like darts. I got tired of hearing people repetively ask the same question of "whats a nice car to get for x ammount of money". So what did I do? I wrote a pretty nice article of almost every common Asian import that would make decent starter or advanced cars. It took me nearly 2-3 weeks to write it(with my busy schedule and all) and yet still I see the same question after I wrote it. Sure a few people learned from it, but theres always going to be idiots who want to be spoon fed. Certain of us don't mind spoon feeding, but you get sick of it.

Surley you can't expect members to teach everything in detail. Its not plausible. No one has that much time on there hands. No one with the knowledge to run that sort of thing has that kind of time I should say. Like Hobo said it was a kick to write his gearhead articles, as it was for mine, but after it gets to the point where you're doing more work than having fun(and not getting paid for it) that lack of motivation sets in. Not saying it can't be done, but if you're up to it go ahead... and good luck.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:52 AM   #30
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Surley you can't expect members to teach everything in detail. Its not plausible. No one has that much time on there hands. No one with the knowledge to run that sort of thing has that kind of time I should say. Like Hobo said it was a kick to write his gearhead articles, as it was for mine, but after it gets to the point where you're doing more work than having fun(and not getting paid for it) that lack of motivation sets in. Not saying it can't be done, but if you're up to it go ahead... and good luck.

yeah, I'm still fairly new and ambitious, but I see the point that you're at. The only question I guess i have is; what do we do about it then? How do we make people be independant and go forage on their own? What can we possibly do to make them want to get the info themselves? Embargo our knowledge?