Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 AM   #46
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Or you could do some research and find that same information out there that has allready been written several times over. I think that works alot better than begging somone else to write it yah know?

OK I have a question for you DSMer, why is there always coolant in the coolant resovor. When the car overheat I know the coolant go to the resovor and then later it gets sucked back in the radiator. So why is there still some left. And when you regular coolant check where you measure if its between the marks, why does it have to be between the mark.
So im asking why do you have to check coolant level and add coolant if its low? Thanks dsmer
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:17 AM   #47
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
OK I have a question for you DSMer, why is there always coolant in the coolant resovor. When the car overheat I know the coolant go to the resovor and then later it gets sucked back in the radiator. So why is there still some left. And when you regular coolant check where you measure if its between the marks, why does it have to be between the mark.
So im asking why do you have to check coolant level and add coolant if its low? Thanks dsmer


Isn't it ironic?

Anyway, DSM, care for a collaboration on making articles like yours and mine about things such as; "How to go fast: An overview of how to get some zoom in your car" (covers things liek traction, power, aerodynamics, etc.) all rolled into one and try to get a sticky? We wouldn't have to give an answer everytime someone says "I want more power, but how?", we could just point them toward the sticky. Collaboration?

(lol, I'm listening to linkin park&Jay-z's : "Collision course")
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 AM   #48
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
So im asking why do you have to check coolant level and add coolant if its low? Thanks dsmer

Because you just have to. Why do I have to clean the lint catcher in my dryer after each load? Obviously some engenious engineer thought of a reason it needs to. So I do it....

Quote:
Anyway, DSM, care for a collaboration on making articles like yours and mine about things such as; "How to go fast: An overview of how to get some zoom in your car" (covers things liek traction, power, aerodynamics, etc.) all rolled into one and try to get a sticky? We wouldn't have to give an answer everytime someone says "I want more power, but how?", we could just point them toward the sticky. Collaboration?


I had thought about writing a detailed article on how to get more performance out of your car, but in contrast to working my but off to create an article that can easily be explained in a few links to sitting on my ass I chose the latter of the two.

I applaud your willingness to create an article but I'm generally just not up to it. CarEXPERTS questions are enough as is. I don't really need him spawning millions of questions on things within that article.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #49
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I applaud your willingness to create an article but I'm generally just not up to it. CarEXPERTS questions are enough as is. I don't really need him spawning millions of questions on things within that article.

lol. Oh well, figured it was worth a shot.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #50
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast
 
Low Impedance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 190
people will always want to know specficially to there car though because they are too damn lazy to apply the information accordingly. Odds are you will still have the Q's but it will be more of "well, then how do i get that to work on my car?" Which is really a sign of the person just half assing his/her efforts for knowledge. I kinda like not having a market for my car. I have eitehr made or adapted everything and the results, great!

A tech article that at least is informative enough to have people both understand preformance concepts and learn how to choose the parts they need would be worthwhile though. Might be one hefty article though.
__________________
87 TII - FreAKinG RUnniNg!
Low Impedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #51
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance
people will always want to know specficially to there car though because they are too damn lazy to apply the information accordingly. Odds are you will still have the Q's but it will be more of "well, then how do i get that to work on my car?" Which is really a sign of the person just half assing his/her efforts for knowledge. I kinda like not having a market for my car. I have eitehr made or adapted everything and the results, great!

A tech article that at least is informative enough to have people both understand preformance concepts and learn how to choose the parts they need would be worthwhile though. Might be one hefty article though.

Thats the problem, this is the INTERNET. Everyone here has acess to the information that I or anyone else would put in any given article. Its all over the place. Just cuz some damn pissant is to lazy to do a simple or intensive google search is'nt my problem. There are HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of books that explain automotive mechanics. Many magazines and books for under $30, and there is'nt a person here affording a computer and internet connection that can't afford a few $30-50 books on auto fundamentals.

Why should I just GIVE away what took me so much hard work, dedication, and money to obtain because it would be worthwile to a few worthless needledicks who are too lazy to put forth the effort as I did? Its the people that don't have the luxery of an internet connection, and can't always afford to purchase books and magazines to expand their knowledge that need the help. Not worthless bitches who are too lazy to do reasearch and can't understand a f*cking thing about anything because they don't take the time to read and understand it.

So unless you got some underprivaledged children in your household looking over your sholder as you read this I aint` wasting a single joule creating any article for the likes of people like CarEXPERT. Some kids really need to grow up and learn to think for themselves. Mommy and Daddy are'nt always going to be there to wipe their asses for them.....
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #52
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Thats the problem, this is the INTERNET. Everyone here has acess to the information that I or anyone else would put in any given article. Its all over the place. Just cuz some damn pissant is to lazy to do a simple or intensive google search is'nt my problem. There are HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of books that explain automotive mechanics. Many magazines and books for under $30, and there is'nt a person here affording a computer and internet connection that can't afford a few $30-50 books on auto fundamentals.

Why should I just GIVE away what took me so much hard work, dedication, and money to obtain because it would be worthwile to a few worthless needledicks who are too lazy to put forth the effort as I did? Its the people that don't have the luxery of an internet connection, and can't always afford to purchase books and magazines to expand their knowledge that need the help. Not worthless bitches who are too lazy to do reasearch and can't understand a f*cking thing about anything because they don't take the time to read and understand it.

So unless you got some underprivaledged children in your household looking over your sholder as you read this I aint` wasting a single joule creating any article for the likes of people like CarEXPERT. Some kids really need to grow up and learn to think for themselves. Mommy and Daddy are'nt always going to be there to wipe their asses for them.....

DSMer, I have bought books and magazines but sometimes I dont really understand it even when I read it again so I ask for clarification. Next year when im a junior, I will probably go to CCOC and do automotive technition classes. I really like cars and engines so I would like to be a automotive technition when i grow up. Do you have any advice for me to learn more and become a auto technition when I grow up because they make lot of money. Do I have to get a high GPA and good math? Thanks DSMer
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:38 AM   #53
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
DSMer, I have bought books and magazines but sometimes I dont really understand it even when I read it again so I ask for clarification. Next year when im a junior, I will probably go to CCOC and do automotive technition classes. I really like cars and engines so I would like to be a automotive technition when i grow up. Do you have any advice for me to learn more and become a auto technition when I grow up because they make lot of money. Do I have to get a high GPA and good math? Thanks DSMer

You're a lie. You don't have books because theres nothing that you can't understand from a textbook if you take the time to read it. Either you have have a bad literacy problem(wich I can't help you with) or you just have poor reading skills. Either way there is'nt any reason you should'nt be able to understand automotive fundamentals from a book written to teach beginners.

If its really that hard for you to learn and you can't understand it even after reading a chapter several times, then you should consider choosing another career choice. If you can't understand it, then you just can't get it. Everyone can't be a car person. Cars just are'nt your thing....
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #54
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
If its really that hard for you to learn and you can't understand it even after reading a chapter several times, then you should consider choosing another career choice. If you can't understand it, then you just can't get it. Everyone can't be a car person. Cars just are'nt your thing....

His heart is in the right place, but he's not quite up to par as some others who want to be technicians.

Carexpert, if you want to be a technician, then go for it. If you wake up every morning looking foward to going to work, or studying and learning about cars, then go for it. Don't let anyone else detour your passion. It's your life and you can do with it what you want. You have to realize though, that if you;re doing this for the money, then you're probably better off in something like computer networking (I know a 23 year old who drives a M3 and rakes in about 150 grand a year, without day's experience in college). Most people become car technicians because they're doing what they love. If this is what you want for a career choice, then go for it. Just realize what you're getting yourself into before you take the dive. You may take longer to realize things than other mechanics/technicians, but if that's what you want to do, and you're willing to commit time and patience to it, then do it.

Wow, I sound like my class counselor.
__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #55
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
His heart is in the right place, but he's not quite up to par as some others who want to be technicians.

Carexpert, if you want to be a technician, then go for it. If you wake up every morning looking foward to going to work, or studying and learning about cars, then go for it. Don't let anyone else detour your passion. It's your life and you can do with it what you want. You have to realize though, that if you;re doing this for the money, then you're probably better off in something like computer networking (I know a 23 year old who drives a M3 and rakes in about 150 grand a year, without day's experience in college). Most people become car technicians because they're doing what they love. If this is what you want for a career choice, then go for it. Just realize what you're getting yourself into before you take the dive. You may take longer to realize things than other mechanics/technicians, but if that's what you want to do, and you're willing to commit time and patience to it, then do it.

Wow, I sound like my class counselor.
Huh... ya.
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #56
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
You're a lie. You don't have books because theres nothing that you can't understand from a textbook if you take the time to read it. Either you have have a bad literacy problem(wich I can't help you with) or you just have poor reading skills. Either way there is'nt any reason you should'nt be able to understand automotive fundamentals from a book written to teach beginners.

If its really that hard for you to learn and you can't understand it even after reading a chapter several times, then you should consider choosing another career choice. If you can't understand it, then you just can't get it. Everyone can't be a car person. Cars just are'nt your thing....

DSMer, I dont give a shit what you say cas I will achive my goal.Cars are deffinatly for me and I cant see myself do anyother thing. Once I take automotive classes, I will be much smarter but right now I just know the basics and functions. Have you notice my questions are more like "why" now?

Godaus, thanks for that encouragement and advice.. But I have a 2.8GPA in school now and I have like a D or F in algebra 2. When you go for the job, do they look at your skills, your GPA, or your math grade? If I have a 3.0GPA will that help me make more money. What kind of automotive jobs can I pick from.. Like is working in car dealers make more moeny or should I open my own garage and
My dad told me that I should get somekind of mechanic degree and open my own garage and fix peoples cars when they need? What about smog check job.. I heard they make a lot of moeny. But for all these jobs, do you need a good GPA or just skills? Thanks godaus
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #57
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
DSMer, I dont give a shit what you say cas I will achive my goal.Cars are deffinatly for me and I cant see myself do anyother thing. Once I take automotive classes, I will be much smarter but right now I just know the basics and functions. Have you notice my questions are more like "why" now?

Haha. 2.8 GPA. Stick to you school work and learn how to read, write, and perform basic math functions first. Then after you learn how to do basic learning skills you can worry about cars. Cuz you don't know anything about basic engine functions and seeing as that you can't properly do your scool work, I think that should be on your top list of things to do. NOT, sitting on a computer all day bugging people to teach you about engine basics...

Gotta learn to walk before you can run...
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 AM   #58
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Haha. 2.8 GPA. Stick to you school work and learn how to read, write, and perform basic math functions first. Then after you learn how to do basic learning skills you can worry about cars. Cuz you don't know anything about basic engine functions and seeing as that you can't properly do your scool work, I think that should be on your top list of things to do. NOT, sitting on a computer all day bugging people to teach you about engine basics...

Gotta learn to walk before you can run...

watever...sonofabitch.. cant say one fuking thing nice to me..
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #59
Import-tuner
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Redding, California
Posts: 145
hey, doing well in school would help you in the long run. When you are competing for some of the higher paying automotive jobs your resume will definitely help you get the job.
Import-tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:07 AM   #60
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Import-tuner
hey, doing well in school would help you in the long run. When you are competing for some of the higher paying automotive jobs your resume will definitely help you get the job.

Yea thats what I thought. But is haveing a 3.0 good or should I try a little harder. When they look at my shool grades for the job, do they look at my GPA or my math also cause i have like a D in math.
What are some of the higher paying jobs, smog checks, and working in dealers are one right?
Can I open my own garage with a mechanic degree?
By the way thanks Import tuner..
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.