Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Blown engine!!

A friend of mine called me up and said he needed somewhere to have his car towed, so i offered him my spare driveway and within an hour his 88 hyundai excel was here. I crawled under to take a look at what had happened. It lookes like somebody took a shotgun to his oil pan, A soft-ball sized hole in the middle with a hand full of little holes around it. He had a lil bit of a fire to... lol i think hes thrown a connecting rod out the bottom. agree dissagree? i know its not that much info but it was 11 pm and dark, ill post more l8er.

You don't "drive" a car, you "wear" it like clothes.

You can't race a house, but you can sleep in a car

R.I.P ~ Betsy (1988-2003)
84_Jetta_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Blown engine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Jetta_GLi
A friend of mine called me up and said he needed somewhere to have his car towed, so i offered him my spare driveway and within an hour his 88 hyundai excel was here. I crawled under to take a look at what had happened. It lookes like somebody took a shotgun to his oil pan, A soft-ball sized hole in the middle with a hand full of little holes around it. He had a lil bit of a fire to... lol i think hes thrown a connecting rod out the bottom. agree dissagree? i know its not that much info but it was 11 pm and dark, ill post more l8er.

Well that all sorta depends on which way the hole is blown. If it's going in he probably hit a rock, stump, etc. Regardless he probably ran it out of oil so the bottom end will be shot.

If it's blown from the inside out your call of a rod is most likely correct. Again the bottom end is shot. The cost to repair that engine is fairly prohibitive so a used engine would be the way to go. Still an '88 Excel might not be worth fixing anyway. Have fun.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Yeah, the holes blown out, but the weird thing is he put oil in it before he left that night. his oil light had been flickering on and off for a couple days before hand, but everytime he checked it was right at the 'MAX' line on the stick. weird. But now its my little science experiment! (plus i snagged all the gas in his tank, not like hes gonna be useing it any time soon, lol)

Old 06-16-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yeah, the holes blown out, but the weird thing is he put oil in it before he left that night. his oil light had been flickering on and off for a couple days before hand, but everytime he checked it was right at the 'MAX' line on the stick. weird. But now its my little science experiment! (plus i snagged all the gas in his tank, not like hes gonna be useing it any time soon, lol)

Having oil does not equal having oil pressure. That engine is famous for clogging the pickup with crap (giving you a flickering light). If you drop the pan and clean everything up you'll usually be okay. If you keep driving you grenade the engine. He should have done the former, he obviously did the latter. Let's hope he can afford another car.... or at least some new shoes. 8)

You probably got the only thing out of the car worth having.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 06-16-2003, 05:34 PM   #5
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

Oh yea i didnt think about oil pressure, how often would the pick up have to be cleaned? because it wasnt that long ago (2-3 months) i changed his pan gasket and cleaned the pick up off while i was at it.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Oh yea i didnt think about oil pressure, how often would the pick up have to be cleaned? because it wasnt that long ago (2-3 months) i changed his pan gasket and cleaned the pick up off while i was at it.

Depending on how much junk was in the pan and the rest of the engine it might be something you would need to do a few times to make it right. Or you might have had an air leak at the pick up connection if you didn't seal it correctly when you put it together. If that's the case you would be the cause of the engine going bang. Don't worry, I won't tell.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
84_Jetta_GLi
CF Enthusiast

I didnt take the pickup apart, just cleaned the screen off