Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
jcraft

tensioner/ pulley

howdee,
this is my first post so bear with me. excellent site. I have a 97 plymouyth voyager minivan. 6cyl. 3.0 ltr., automatic, air conditioning. the van squeels pretty bad at idle but goes away when engine is sped up. had it to the garage and they said that the pulley that tightens the main drive belt is bent and not running true. the problem goes away for a few days if i give the belt or pully a small squirt of wd-40. now i can purchase just the pulley($15) or the pulley and tensioner assembly for ($80). not sure which to try first. second, how do i change the whole assembly if needed. I know how to get the pulley off, there is just a single nut in the middle of the pulley. i'm assuming it is a left hand thread. but how does the actual tensioner come off? thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: tensioner/ pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraft
howdee,
this is my first post so bear with me. excellent site. I have a 97 plymouyth voyager minivan. 6cyl. 3.0 ltr., automatic, air conditioning. the van squeels pretty bad at idle but goes away when engine is sped up. had it to the garage and they said that the pulley that tightens the main drive belt is bent and not running true. the problem goes away for a few days if i give the belt or pully a small squirt of wd-40. now i can purchase just the pulley($15) or the pulley and tensioner assembly for ($80). not sure which to try first. second, how do i change the whole assembly if needed. I know how to get the pulley off, there is just a single nut in the middle of the pulley. i'm assuming it is a left hand thread. but how does the actual tensioner come off? thanks for the help

If your Voyager has anywhere near 100k miles on it go ahead and pop for the tensioner assembly. It costs a little bit more but it'll keep you from doing the job again in the near future. Generally speaking the tensioner outlasts the pulley by 10-20k miles. I've had alot of customers pissed off at me when the tensioner gives up soon after they cheaped out and only had the pulley replaced. I recommend you replace the belt as well especially if you've been shooting it with WD-40.

It's a simple enough job to do if kind of a bitch because of access. Drop the belts, remove the bolt from the backside of the tensioner, then put it back together. Shouldn't take more than 45 minutes. Have fun.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Thank you so much for allowing me to take my time to help you. Really, no thanks is needed. Asswipe.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #4
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Now now vwhobo. The tourist did actually say, "thanks for the help" at the end of his post as a 'thank you in advance'. Obviously two posts in here would really be pushing the boat out lurk
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Now now vwhobo. The tourist did actually say, "thanks for the help" at the end of his post as a 'thank you in advance'. Obviously two posts in here would really be pushing the boat out :lurk:

Yep, another one hit wonder.