Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
PANDM
CF Newbie

1968 Olds 442 wiring

First wanted to say hello - I am new to the board.

Have been looking for a wiring diagrm for a 1968 Olds 442 - it has a 455 that is original to the car. When I purchased the car I noticed that the wiring had been modified but thought that it would be easy to straighten out - yeah right . Well since then I have been searching for a diagram for the charging system. For some reason the generator does not charge the battery - while the car runs off the battery while running. I have pulled the generator and the voltage regulator and had them tested - they both passed. Thought the next step would be to get into the hacked wiring. Any assistance would be appreciated.
PANDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Diblue1121
CF Newbie

I notice you have had no response, and I am new to boards, but have you fixed this problem? We have a 1968 442 with a 400 and are having the exact same prob you are with yours...would be more than willing to swap info and ideas on this.
Diblue1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
fc7gtx
CF Newbie

With the wiring being 25+ years old I would just buy a new wiring harness, Year one sells a great engine harness for your car for around $100.00. I have replaced all my wiring and its made a big difference.
fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Diblue1121
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDM
First wanted to say hello - I am new to the board.

Have been looking for a wiring diagrm for a 1968 Olds 442 - it has a 455 that is original to the car. When I purchased the car I noticed that the wiring had been modified but thought that it would be easy to straighten out - yeah right . Well since then I have been searching for a diagram for the charging system. For some reason the generator does not charge the battery - while the car runs off the battery while running. I have pulled the generator and the voltage regulator and had them tested - they both passed. Thought the next step would be to get into the hacked wiring. Any assistance would be appreciated.

www.442.com we found a complete wiring diagram for this car there, might check it out.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
DPelletier
CF Newbie

I would second the suggestion for a new harness. Year One has them in stock for my car.

PANDM,

you sure about that original 455? There was a corporate edict banning engines over 400 cu inches in GM intermediates such as your Olds. The only way to get a 455 in a '68 442 was to get ahold of a Hurst Olds (which was modified by the Hurst Corporation) which was equipped with a 390hp 455.
If you have a '68 Hurst Olds with a wiring problem, don't bother fixing it; just sell it to me cheap!

Dave
Old 04-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Diblue1121
CF Newbie

Well, ours has the 400 block in it, and my husband won't let it go for less than $7,000 due to all the money and work we have put into it...in fact, at the parts store the other day, the two guys working there, were trying to outbid each other for how much they'd give me for it...I was ROFL at them, but they got up to offering me $4,500 for it. Right now affording a wiring harness is kinda not an option (but definately a future thing to do.) We have two kids, and some dental work needed before we buy the fun parts of the car.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diblue1121
Well, ours has the 400 block in it, and my husband won't let it go for less than $7,000 due to all the money and work we have put into it...in fact, at the parts store the other day, the two guys working there, were trying to outbid each other for how much they'd give me for it...I was ROFL at them, but they got up to offering me $4,500 for it. Right now affording a wiring harness is kinda not an option (but definately a future thing to do.) We have two kids, and some dental work needed before we buy the fun parts of the car.

Yeah, all '68 442's had 400's in them (from '65 to '69) except for the extremely rare and valuable '68 - '69 Hurst Olds'. I suspect PANDM's car either is a 400 as well or has a swapped-in 455.
As far as your car goes, hey at least you have it. Keep it from deteriorating and work on it as time and money allows. They aren't making any more of them and they will only go up in value. If you do ever decide to sell it, make sure you check for current pricing.

Dave
Old 04-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
Diblue1121
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier
Yeah, all '68 442's had 400's in them (from '65 to '69) except for the extremely rare and valuable '68 - '69 Hurst Olds'. I suspect PANDM's car either is a 400 as well or has a swapped-in 455.
As far as your car goes, hey at least you have it. Keep it from deteriorating and work on it as time and money allows. They aren't making any more of them and they will only go up in value. If you do ever decide to sell it, make sure you check for current pricing.

Dave

Hehe, if we can't nail down this charging issue with a good alternator, my hubby will definately look at selling it...been fighting with it for about 2 yrs now, and think we have the issue solved...just waiting on the new alternator.