Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
sskula
CF Newbie

97 Chev Cavalir Runs Ruff

Ok guys, I have a problem with my 1997 Chev Cavalir, when I first start the car it runs ok(in a open loop), then it starts to run ruff(as soon as the car goes into a closed loop). I have replaced the spark plugs, both O2 sensors, EGR valve with no luck. If I disconnect either O2 sensor the car will stay in an open loop and everything runs good. My guess it is a sensor. But what sensor would be the problem? Or any help would be great.
sskula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: 97 Chev Cavalir Runs Ruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskula
Ok guys, I have a problem with my 1997 Chev Cavalir, when I first start the car it runs ok(in a open loop), then it starts to run ruff(as soon as the car goes into a closed loop). I have replaced the spark plugs, both O2 sensors, EGR valve with no luck. If I disconnect either O2 sensor the car will stay in an open loop and everything runs good. My guess it is a sensor. But what sensor would be the problem? Or any help would be great.

Have you checked for codes and looked at the data stream? It sounds like the answer is no. Always start at the begining, it makes things so much easier. Unless you enjoy wasting money which it looks like you do.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
sskula
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

Have you checked for codes and looked at the data stream? It sounds like the answer is no. Always start at the begining, it makes things so much easier. Unless you enjoy wasting money which it looks like you do.
No codes, we have done checking with no good, and we replaced both O2 sensors because that was the only thing on the computer that was bad, so no jerk, I don't like wasting my money, that is why I am asking here.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No codes, we have done checking with no good, and we replaced both O2 sensors because that was the only thing on the computer that was bad, so no jerk, I don't like wasting my money, that is why I am asking here.

Well if that's your attitude then how's this for a reply. Go piss up a rope jackass.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #5
sskula
CF Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well if that's your attitude then how's this for a reply. Go piss up a rope jackass.
Saying I like to waste my money what do you think. How many people do you think like to waste there money? When did I say I did? I didn't. If I like to waste my money I would take it to a dearlership and waste it there. That is why I have been searching for someone to help. Maybe you shouldn't put words in people mouths. Look at what you wrote. Talk about no being nice.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
Unfedfat
Site Admin

so come on guys give me a hug 8)
Unfedfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
sskula
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfedfat
so come on guys give me a hug 8)
{hugs}
Old 07-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Saying I like to waste my money what do you think. How many people do you think like to waste there money? When did I say I did? I didn't. If I like to waste my money I would take it to a dearlership and waste it there. That is why I have been searching for someone to help. Maybe you shouldn't put words in people mouths. Look at what you wrote. Talk about no being nice.

Okay Ace, let's start at the begining.

1. Your first post you stated that you replaced seven items (1 EGR valve, 2 oxygen sensors, 4 sparkplugs). The number of four sparkplugs is another assumption because you gave incomplete information. You also never stated that you downloaded any codes. I guess you want people to help you without giving them all of the information.

2. Your second post you act like a jackass by calling me a name. You also state "and we replaced both O2 sensors because that was the only thing on the computer that was bad". No codes tell you ANY component is bad unless you are performing beta testing for OBD III systems. All OBD II does is point you to a system then you have to be smart enough to isolate the defect. Apparently you do not meet that criteria.

3. When someone doesn't have the experience or knowledge to deal with a problem of this nature it's more often than not cheaper to go to a qualified tech. Looking at your shopping list of parts you've already spent in the neighborhood of $350 and haven't fixed shit. I can almost assure you at any one my shops you would have been diagnosed, repaired and out the door for about 50-75% of that cost. So yeah, it looks like you like to waste money to me.

4. I haven't put words in anybodies mouth. I had to make a judgement call based on more of your weak information. Ya see, today my crystal ball is in the shop so I can't use it. And I never talk about being nice.

Moral of the story. Those who help themselves are much more likely to get help from others. One more thing. Read my signature block, which are you?

P.S. If Adam wants a hug he should try snoope or ock. They seem to be traveling that direction based on some of their latest posts.

Old 07-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #9
Unfedfat
Site Admin

Quote:
P.S. If Adam wants a hug he should try snoope or ock. They seem to be traveling that direction based on some of their latest posts.

HAHAHA
that's what i was thinking
Unfedfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:49 AM   #10
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

There's nothing wrong with good manly hug P All you have to do is ask lol
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
There's nothing wrong with good manly hug :P All you have to do is ask

Oh baby, can we please?

Old 07-10-2003, 07:09 PM   #12
sskula
CF Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay Ace, let's start at the begining.

1. Your first post you stated that you replaced seven items (1 EGR valve, 2 oxygen sensors, 4 sparkplugs). The number of four sparkplugs is another assumption because you gave incomplete information. You also never stated that you downloaded any codes. I guess you want people to help you without giving them all of the information.

2. Your second post you act like a jackass by calling me a name. You also state "and we replaced both O2 sensors because that was the only thing on the computer that was bad". No codes tell you ANY component is bad unless you are performing beta testing for OBD III systems. All OBD II does is point you to a system then you have to be smart enough to isolate the defect. Apparently you do not meet that criteria.

3. When someone doesn't have the experience or knowledge to deal with a problem of this nature it's more often than not cheaper to go to a qualified tech. Looking at your shopping list of parts you've already spent in the neighborhood of $350 and haven't fixed shit. I can almost assure you at any one my shops you would have been diagnosed, repaired and out the door for about 50-75% of that cost. So yeah, it looks like you like to waste money to me.

4. I haven't put words in anybodies mouth. I had to make a judgement call based on more of your weak information. Ya see, today my crystal ball is in the shop so I can't use it. And I never talk about being nice.

Moral of the story. Those who help themselves are much more likely to get help from others. One more thing. Read my signature block, which are you?

don't act like a dick to people and maybe they would give you all the info you need. But when you make rude comments like you did first, people are going to treat you the same way you treat them.
I don't do this forums things everyday so if you needed more info all you had to do is ask.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
don't act like a dick to people and maybe they would give you all the info you need. But when you make rude comments like you did first, people are going to treat you the same way you treat them.
I don't do this forums things everyday so if you needed more info all you had to do is ask.

Okay moron except there's one fly in your ointment. You're the one who started the thread. You are the one who gave insufficient information in that first thread.

As for what you consider to be a rude comment, that was an observation based on your post. Notice that through all this you still haven't explained the things I've asked or refuted what I've said about diagnosis. Or the price of the parts you've wasted your money on.

One more thing. I don't have to be a dick until somebody is an idiot. Today that person is you.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:38 PM   #14
sskula
CF Newbie

Quote:
Quote:

Okay moron except there's one fly in your ointment. You're the one who started the thread. You are the one who gave insufficient information in that first thread.

As for what you consider to be a rude comment, that was an observation based on your post. Notice that through all this you still haven't explained the things I've asked or refuted what I've said about diagnosis. Or the price of the parts you've wasted your money on.

One more thing. I don't have to be a dick until somebody is an idiot. Today that person is you.
All you had to do is ask, not assume what I did. Very easy to say could you explain more. You assumed and started this is an assumtion. If you would have asked for more info about my first post you would know more.
And I haven't explained like you said because you continue to want to fight and be rude.
A simple post asking for more info is what a normal person would do.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All you had to do is ask, not assume what I did. Very easy to say could you explain more. You assumed and started this is an assumtion. If you would have asked for more info about my first post you would know more.
And I haven't explained like you said because you continue to want to fight and be rude.
A simple post asking for more info is what a normal person would do.

Here, try this. Look at the very first sentence in my very first post in this thread. It has a question mark at the end so I thought it was a clarifying question. You told me "No codes, we have done checking with no good, and we replaced both O2 sensors because that was the only thing on the computer that was bad, so no jerk, I don't like wasting my money, that is why I am asking here."

So not only did you contradict yourself (it said the sensors were bad but there were no codes?) but the scan tool doesn't shoot down the sensors anyway as previously covered.

As for fighting and being rude, you were the first person to call names so... That doesn't seem like a very good way to befriend the only person here that is likely to help you.

Where does that leave us? You still haven't supplied complete information. You still have spent a pile of money on parts that didn't fix your car. You still haven't addressed statements I have made telling you why you're jumping to conclusions on your car. And last but not least you are the one who needs help, not me. If you want it I'm always happy to give it as many people will attest, but first you have to do your part which you haven't. The ball is in your court. Have a wonderful day.