Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
axe05
CF Newbie

Question 2003 Ram 1500 trouble codes-HELP!!

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7l and the check engine light just came on about a week ago. THe trouble codes are P0456 and P0633. What do these mean? Also, for about 5 months now when I first start up it idles a little sluggish until I've driven for a couple of minutes. Could this be related? Thanks for any help!
axe05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:19 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe05
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7l and the check engine light just came on about a week ago. THe trouble codes are P0456 and P0633. What do these mean? Also, for about 5 months now when I first start up it idles a little sluggish until I've driven for a couple of minutes. Could this be related? Thanks for any help!
Off the top of my head P0456 is a small evap system leak. First thing to check is your gas cap. Make sure it's tight and the seal is in good condition. If the MIL doesn't go out after a few trips you'll need to have it diagnosed, most likely by a shop with a smoke machine. This my cause a slight drivability problem.

P0633 is the SKIM (sentry key immobilizer) secret key is not programmed in the control module EEPROM. I could tell you how to fix this but you're better off taking it to the dealer and getting it fixed under warranty. The same goes for your other code.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:35 AM   #3
axe05
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Off the top of my head P0456 is a small evap system leak. First thing to check is your gas cap. Make sure it's tight and the seal is in good condition. If the MIL doesn't go out after a few trips you'll need to have it diagnosed, most likely by a shop with a smoke machine. This my cause a slight drivability problem.

P0633 is the SKIM (sentry key immobilizer) secret key is not programmed in the control module EEPROM. I could tell you how to fix this but you're better off taking it to the dealer and getting it fixed under warranty. The same goes for your other code.

The truck has over 38k miles on it and is out of warranty, so if you have a fix I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:59 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe05
The truck has over 38k miles on it and is out of warranty, so if you have a fix I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!
Sure... Paypal me $75 and I'll get right on it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
axe05
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Sure... Paypal me $75 and I'll get right on it.

Oh, I see...well thanks anyways.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Pick up...

a Haynes manual from your local car part/accesories store and find the list of trouble codes in there, they generally have a list. Perhaps that will help you out. For 20 dollars the Haynes manuals are a decent buy, even though they are not overly descriptive with many of their repairs. Sometimes that is nice as it allows for a little extra adventure, and research. Good luck.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
axe05
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
a Haynes manual from your local car part/accesories store and find the list of trouble codes in there, they generally have a list. Perhaps that will help you out. For 20 dollars the Haynes manuals are a decent buy, even though they are not overly descriptive with many of their repairs. Sometimes that is nice as it allows for a little extra adventure, and research. Good luck.
Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that before. I've used Haynes and Chilton manuals in the past on other used vehicles of mine and have had some good results. I'll have to stop by the auto parts store this evening and see if they have put out a manual yet for my truck. Thanks again!