Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
jrbilodeau
CF Newbie

cold air intake

first of all, i just want to state that i don't know much about what im going to ask so forgive me if i use the wrong terms. ok, i have a 2002 cavalier 2.2L 5spd...a friend from work suggested that i get a cold air intake (he hard one on his cavalier before having to give it up to the bank) and said it would increase my HP by about 30hp, he also said it didn't effect his gas mileage.

this would be nice since 5th gear doesn't have good acceleration, and would make it better for passing on the highway without having to drop down to 4th.

just want to know if my gas mileage should stay the same, or get worse ( someone else told me it would)

thanks
jrbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I'd like to start by saying, your friend is full of it. A cold air intake will add 5-10hp on your car, at the most. It will improve gas mileage only marginally, so you probably won't notice it much. Gas mileage will improve further with a well engineered exhaust system. As you make it easier for the engine to get air in and out (like a big air pump), you will increase your fuel mileage...but this only holds true up to a certain point. A good exhaust system and a cold air kit will improve your fuel mileage a noticeable amount.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
jrbilodeau
CF Newbie

any suggestions on what to get? i hear that K&N is pretty good for the intake
jrbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:25 AM   #4
Eclipse_2004
CF Enthusiast

yeah K&N is good..also you should look at AEM, Injen, Greddy. Theres many other brands as well but..choose which u like the most and which on suits your budget
Old 10-15-2004, 04:16 AM   #5
95sn95
CF Newbie

Like 88bird said, you'll see a bigger difference if you do the CAI and the exhaust at the same time. It will sound better, get a little bit better mileage, and will give you some more horses.

And about just a CAI.. 30hp my foot!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:58 PM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sn95
Like 88bird said, you'll see a bigger difference if you do the CAI and the exhaust at the same time. It will sound better, get a little bit better mileage, and will give you some more horses.

And about just a CAI.. 30hp my foot!

I wish you could make an Ecotec sound 'good'. I've yet to hear one

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
Pac127
CF Newbie

your not supposed to have good acceleration in 5th.....its overdrive...good for cruising on the highway. unless your doing about 80mph dont expect good acceleration in 5th gear. and year get cold air intake but dont go and spend a boatload of cash on it, do it yourself for less then 50 bucks. all you need is the filter and maybe a little bit of pipeing or an adapter piece.
RS = really slow
after swap
RS = ridiculous speed
Pac127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

HAHAHA...30 HP...HAHAHA..thats freekin funny

"With enough horsepower, even gravity can be affected"

"Keep the shiny side up"

chevypwr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypwr6
HAHAHA...30 HP...HAHAHA..thats freekin funny

nobody cares for your non-sense post-whoring....that shit doesn't fly well here douche-bag.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
I'd like to start by saying, your friend is full of it....

oh i see...but thats ok? yea...that makes sence

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 10-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
oh i see...but thats ok? yea...that makes sence

No, you're just an idiot.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:41 AM   #12
Sick88Tbird

Ok, so it's not just me, he really is that goddamn stupid. He quotes the first sentence of my first post on this thread and tries to call that post-whoring? WTF?! I guess he didn't read the rest of that post which was full of good information.

And to JR who originally had a question, a buddy of mine was able to pull 15.1's in a completely bone-stock '03 cavalier 5-speed. Yeah, you can call bullsh!t on it because I did at first too, but that kid can drive like hell. I still can't quite believe it. It's possible, just not easy.

Last edited by Sick88Tbird : 10-28-2004 at 04:45 AM. Reason: chveypwr6 has officially won the title of "CF Douche-bag". Congratulations chevypwr6 on the greatest achievement of your worthless life!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #13
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

"Last edited by Sick88Tbird : Yesterday at 11:45 PM. Reason: chveypwr6 has officially won the title of "CF Douche-bag". Congratulations chevypwr6 on the greatest achievement of your worthless life!"

i think that having you prove to me over and over again how worthless your opinion of me really is, is much more of an achievement then you will ever know...i come to work every day hoping one of you mindless morons has another statment lacking in reason and logic so i have something to laugh about while i work...thank you guys so much for the entertainment value that the lack of IQ points has given me. Maybe you should turn down the voltage of that cattle prod you have up your ass...you would be a much more moron person to deal with...

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 11-05-2004, 09:49 PM   #14
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
"...you would be a much more moron person to deal with...

now how does that even make sense? Oh wait it doesn't.

Everyone should stop wasting time trying to come up with some ridiculous insult for another person, and give the guy the advice he wanted, like everyone but you are doing, so give it a rest
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:18 AM   #15
KhanArtisT
CF Newbie

Wow...I've been reading so many of the threads on this site, and it turns out that most of them usually get off subject and turn into useless arguments...

Anyways my question is, how much more hp will a whole new high flow exaust system(headers, intake, high flow cat, catback exaust, muffler) add?
On a '96 LS Integra(sorry i know its in the wrong section)
KhanArtisT is offline   Reply With Quote