Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
chrissy04
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverview, FL (tampa area)
Posts: 32
Why so Mean??

Why must some of the people on here insist upon being so mean to eachother. You guys answer questions and write replies like you are the all might car gods and anyone who may have a question or may be on here to learn a little more about cars is stupid and not good enough to be on your forums. You pick on a 13 year old kid who just wants to get into cars. How mean is that?? Also, you pick on the girls like we're totally oblivious to the car world. Let me give you some insite, girls know just as much as boys if its there thing. We read the same shit and probably have close to the same ideas on how to make a car better. Just because we like pink paint jobs doesn't mean we don't know how to bust your bubble on the track. So for all of you all might gods out there, quit. You are adting like 13 year olds yourself. If people with questions annoy you just don't read there posts.
chrissy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra
 
Inygknok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy04
Why must some of the people on here insist upon being so mean to eachother. You guys answer questions and write replies like you are the all might car gods and anyone who may have a question or may be on here to learn a little more about cars is stupid and not good enough to be on your forums. You pick on a 13 year old kid who just wants to get into cars. How mean is that?? Also, you pick on the girls like we're totally oblivious to the car world. Let me give you some insite, girls know just as much as boys if its there thing. We read the same shit and probably have close to the same ideas on how to make a car better. Just because we like pink paint jobs doesn't mean we don't know how to bust your bubble on the track. So for all of you all might gods out there, quit. You are adting like 13 year olds yourself. If people with questions annoy you just don't read there posts.



arent they?
__________________


Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum
 
Ki2AY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco CA.
Posts: 708
Itís the same question I asked when I first joined this forum.. Apprently the "elders" say, if your stupid, you get a can of whoop ass.. (I know im gonna start another flame war just by stating that.. I already know who would post first in response to my statement.)
__________________
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
No one picks on people who are just here to learn. We pick on people who say they want to learn, but argue with everything presented to them by people who have experience. We pick on people who come in guns a'blazing determined to show how opinionated they can be at a very early age.

Ignore them? That's tantamount to saying that they are in fact correct. Letting them remain ignorant and spread ignorance isn't doing them or anyone else any favors.

It's easy to learn. Ask questions and don't argue with the answers. Show SOME initiative by doing some independent research, such as with Google. And don't argue with the answers. Don't hold tightly to opinion if that opinion is countered by large amounts of evidence to the contrary.

The reason most girls know as much as most guys is that most guys don't know very much. it IS sad that few girls are interested, but unfortunately, that's the case. And most interested girls get their information from guys that don't actually know all that much. I know a number that are exceptions to the rule, but it's rare. I've also driven against female SCCA national champions, and I know there are girls that can drive circles around most guys. Thre's still areason that with the exception of drag racing and WRC, there haven't been women at the top level of motorsports. Even in amateur competition that gets large numbers of interested women who have been driving for decades, guys are slightly faster.

And it isn't about painting a car pink. Hell, I've painted cars pink. It's about learning enough to be dangerous, then holding on to that as though it means you know as much as others.

Let me put it to you this way:

I've been very involved with cars for almost 30 years. But not just in one genre. I've been road racing, autocrossing, drag racing, and crewing for road race cars, circle track cars, and rallye cars. I had a shop building customs, race cars, and street rods for a decade or so, and owned over a hundred cars, myself, from most major manufacturers around the world. I don't care WHAT genre it's from, I can have fun with it. I've built lowerider show trucks, VWs, stret rods, muscle cars, and sport compacts. I've built road race and autocross Porsches, formula cars, etc. I've got trophies for show cars and race cars. I've driven on the track everything from a $100 Pinto to a half million dollar Ferrari F40, and found both to be fun. The opinions I have have been formed form decades of working on, driving, and owning a wider variety of cars than pretty much anyone here. And when it comes to magazines, I've got a collection of them that stretches back to the '50s, and includes magazines about new cars, muscle cars, drag cars, road racers, autocrossers, street rods, late model sport compacts, '50s customs, and more.

If I act like I know what I'm talking about, and state that someone doesn't have the experience to form the opinion they've formed, there's usually a pretty good reason for it. And I usually won't do that until someone has proven they dont' know what they are talking about and are arguing out their ass.

I also know my limitations, and just how much I still don't know. I certainly don't know everything. And I won't make comments in those areas. Wish more people would follow that rule. When they don't, they get "picked on." If they truly are interested in learning, then they STFU and learn, and go on to become productive members of the automotive community.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
geeze. Love the forum software, sometimes...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #6
beemer
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: new york
Posts: 9
Well, Chrissy, I see what you mean. But you have to understand that these members are here to talk about cars with people that know just as much as they do. They dont like to be bothered by us, few who are learning and asking stupid questions. Personally I have gotten my questions answered and I recieved help. So its just a matter of when the "elders" are in a good mood and if they are in a bad mood. Lastly, a lot of the people here arent clear about what they want or what they need help in. I am not directing that comment on you as you have done nothing wrong in your posts.
Inygknok- what is your post supposed to mean?

With that said, I think I should leave now, since I am just a learner.
beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
You pick on a 13 year old kid who just wants to get into cars.


Actually he specifically said that he didn't care about any of us and just wanted to annoy everyone.

I don't see why you're defending that kid (I'm going to assume you're reffering to snipervirus), he brought everything upon himself.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
But you have to understand that these members are here to talk about cars with people that know just as much as they do. They dont like to be bothered by us, few who are learning and asking stupid questions.

Not exactly. As I said:

Quote:
No one picks on people who are just here to learn. We pick on people who say they want to learn, but argue with everything presented to them by people who have experience. We pick on people who come in guns a'blazing determined to show how opinionated they can be at a very early age.

It's easy to learn. Ask questions and don't argue with the answers. Show SOME initiative by doing some independent research, such as with Google. And don't argue with the answers. Don't hold tightly to opinion if that opinion is countered by large amounts of evidence to the contrary.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
beemer
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: new york
Posts: 9
I didnt want it to come out that way. I meant that kids like that snipervirus, ask dumb questions and annoy you guys. And that you guys dont like to answer stupid questions. Also from now on, can I call anyone who has over 1300 posts an elder?
beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis
 
Sick88Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sicklerville, NJ
Posts: 578
We don't pick on people who genuinely and sincerely come in here to learn through posting...but the posts need to be at least half-way thought through. Also, we don't stand for people coming in thinking that they know it all when they are full of shit, nor do we care for people who think they can come in here and change the place+people. Just because you are pissed that we didn't believe you about your non-existent '99 Stang with "NOS and BOOST", don't think we treat all new members that way......

BTW, why did you not respond when I asked you what "NOS and BOOST" were exactly, being as you claim to be knowledgible when it comes to cars......???
__________________
New Toy- Stone stock '88 T-bird Sport in need of some TLC

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:26 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
We don't pick on people who genuinely and sincerely come in here to learn through posting...but the posts need to be at least half-way thought through. Also, we don't stand for people coming in thinking that they know it all when they are full of shit, nor do we care for people who think they can come in here and change the place+people. Just because you are pissed that we didn't believe you about your non-existent '99 Stang with "NOS and BOOST", don't think we treat all new members that way......

BTW, why did you not respond when I asked you what "NOS and BOOST" were exactly, being as you claim to be knowledgible when it comes to cars......???
I'm quite sure that's meant as a rhetorical question because we already know the answer. Just for your general info, we have a long history of females who enter this site and tell us all about how jam packed they are with automotive knowledge... but don't have a clue. Another wonder of the internet.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 AM   #12
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I'm quite sure that's meant as a rhetorical question because we already know the answer. Just for your general info, we have a long history of females who enter this site and tell us all about how jam packed they are with automotive knowledge... but don't have a clue. Another wonder of the internet.

I'd have to agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
Also from now on, can I call anyone who has over 1300 posts an elder?

Sure, but you're probably older than me and SJ. seeing as how we're both 16. Or did you mean an elder to the boards? Because if the "elder to the boards" is what you were looking for, make it more around 800+. Mazda6man has been here since 2002, earlier than me, sj, and vwhobo.
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:06 AM   #13
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
.
.
I just don't like 13 yr olds.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #14
beemer
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: new york
Posts: 9
No, I meant elders on the boards. And yeah, I think I will change the post count to 800. And lastly, BavarianWheels, assuming that you are at least 16, remember that you too were once 13.
beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:13 PM   #15
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
No, I meant elders on the boards. And yeah, I think I will change the post count to 800. And lastly, BavarianWheels, assuming that you are at least 16, remember that you too were once 13.

heh, i'm an elder.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.