Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Shmit_88
CF Newbie

More Noise!!

Hey,

It's me again! I posted on here during the week about wiring a Corsa Head Unit. This time though, I have a different question.

My Corsa is a 1.4 . However my cars engine is really quiet even when driven at motorway speeds. Most people love quiet cars, but I love to hear the engine of a car, and I find it helps my driving.

My mates have 1.1 and yet you can hear their car engine's. What I want to know is, is there any way of making my cars engine louder, without putting an exhaust system, induction kit, or anything along those lines. It's not necessarily a problem, but considering my cars an oldish car, 1997 model, It shouldn't be that quiet should it?

I'm not sure if I put this in the wrong section, sorry if I have.

Cheers

Calum
Shmit_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

If your car is an 8-valve variant, it should sound rather coarse or coarsa (excuse the pun lol). If it's a 16-valve it'll naturally be alot smoother running. The reason your friends have louder 1.1litre cars is probably because they are Fiesta's lol, which have an OHV (OverHead Valve) engine, that sounds rough on older cars, other than that 1.1's will obviously be less refined than larger engined cars. Unless you want to remove your air filter, there's not much you can do to make your car louder withough spending money!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
If your car is an 8-valve variant, it should sound rather coarse or coarsa (excuse the pun lol). If it's a 16-valve it'll naturally be alot smoother running. The reason your friends have louder 1.1litre cars is probably because they are Fiesta's lol, which have an OHV (OverHead Valve) engine, that sounds rough on older cars, other than that 1.1's will obviously be less refined than larger engined cars. Unless you want to remove your air filter, there's not much you can do to make your car louder withough spending money!
How and why does a 16-valve engine run smoother than an 8-valve engine? Enquiring minds want to know.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
How and why does a 16-valve engine run smoother than an 8-valve engine? Enquiring minds want to know.
Because it has more valves per cylinder probably lol.....Fair enough, it might not run smoother at idle, but when talking about Vauxhall engines atleast, it's noticeable when driving. Maybe I used the wrong terminology, I dont mean that it runs as if there is a problem with the engine, I meant it's less coarse (sp) in 16-valve form, at speed atleast...maybe some people dont agree, but I've driven both 8-valve Vauxhall's and 16-valve variants and notice the difference

I've also noticed the difference on other cars like Fords, for example a CVH 8-valve engine is not as nice as a 16-valve Zetec one, in my opinon atleast, I presumed most people would share this opinion?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

Just shove a pod filter on it. The increased noise is worth at least 20hp or more.... if branded with a bling sticker maybe another 5 ponies.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Just shove a pod filter on it. The increased noise is worth at least 20hp or more.... if branded with a bling sticker maybe another 5 ponies.
I'm just wondering how a noisy engine "helps his driving".

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
I'm just wondering how a noisy engine "helps his driving".

perhaps if its a stick shift, he wants to listen to the engine when shifting gears instead of looking at the rpm. I guess if your good enough you can go off of feel? I havn't hit that point, but sound helps in shifting gears.
That only being if his is manual. Can a 1.4 give that good of a prrrr...?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

Gee I hear a slight road noise from my side window and I start ramping it up and down looking for the seal breach, then resign myself to a new car before things gets worse. And I can still waste boyracers.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
perhaps if its a stick shift, he wants to listen to the engine when shifting gears instead of looking at the rpm. I guess if your good enough you can go off of feel? I havn't hit that point, but sound helps in shifting gears.
That only being if his is manual. Can a 1.4 give that good of a prrrr...?
Chances are he doesn't have a Rev counter, but even so, he should be able to hear his engine already!

Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
fudge
let's fighting love

Getting rid of the sound proofing would help.

Quote:
I've also noticed the difference on other cars like Fords, for example a CVH 8-valve engine is not as nice as a 16-valve Zetec one, in my opinon atleast, I presumed most people would share this opinion?

I'd like to hear the difference between them. Thing is my KA doesn't have either
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Getting rid of the sound proofing would help.

I'd like to hear the difference between them. Thing is my KA doesn't have either
No, but your Ka has an OHV engine, which rattles as standard, which is why I compared two belt driven lumps lol. I'm still baffled as to why Ford didn't stick the 16-valve Zetec 1.25litre out of the Fiesta, in the Ka...They were going to at one stage, as the OHV engine, although modified over the years, is still an Anglia engine

Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Because it has more valves per cylinder probably lol.....Fair enough, it might not run smoother at idle, but when talking about Vauxhall engines atleast, it's noticeable when driving. Maybe I used the wrong terminology, I dont mean that it runs as if there is a problem with the engine, I meant it's less coarse (sp) in 16-valve form, at speed atleast...maybe some people dont agree, but I've driven both 8-valve Vauxhall's and 16-valve variants and notice the difference

Okay, if you're comparing specific engines you are more than likely correct. The way I read your post, I thought you meant 16-valve engines are smoother than 8-valve engines in general.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Okay, if you're comparing specific engines you are more than likely correct. The way I read your post, I thought you meant 16-valve engines are smoother than 8-valve engines in general.
No, I was comparing them on a more specifc scale ...appologies if it was worded deceivingly lol!

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-01-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
No, but your Ka has an OHV engine, which rattles as standard, which is why I compared two belt driven lumps lol. I'm still baffled as to why Ford didn't stick the 16-valve Zetec 1.25litre out of the Fiesta, in the Ka...They were going to at one stage, as the OHV engine, although modified over the years, is still an Anglia engine

Actually mine is a 2003 model so it has a Duratec 8V which I believe is based on the Kent engine from the previous model. I'm not sure if it's an OHV engine anymore as the head cover looks different to other push rod engines. Maybe it's a SOHC It's actually rather smooth and although I don't rev it much it has pretty good acceleration.

The engine bay looks cramped with the Crossflow so a Zetec engine was probably not viable for Ford to use. However I might one day put a CVH or a ZVH(CVH-Zetec hybrid) for a bit more poke.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Actually mine is a 2003 model so it has a Duratec 8V which I believe is based on the Kent engine from the previous model. I'm not sure if it's an OHV engine anymore as the head cover looks different to other push rod engines. Maybe it's a SOHC It's actually rather smooth and although I don't rev it much it has pretty good acceleration.

The engine bay looks cramped with the Crossflow so a Zetec engine was probably not viable for Ford to use. However I might one day put a CVH or a ZVH(CVH-Zetec hybrid) for a bit more poke.
I believe you're correct actually, I think they were fitted with 1.3 OHC engines on that model year, they're chain driven though, rather than belt driven. Appologies for the mix up lol