Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
nhramustang
CF Newbie

thunderbird 8.8"

hey everyone, one of the vehicles me and a few friends are in the process of modifying for the 1/4 mile is a 94 thunderbird lx. so far we have successfully transplanted a 351M, replacing the 3.8, and installed a beefed up C6 trans, and many other suspension, fuel delivery, and support parts, since it will probably want to twist it's self in two. unfortunately the one part we are running into difficulties with is installing a new rear in the car to replace the independant rear suspension. we have both a ford 9" and a mustang 8.8" on deck and i was wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to make this switch successfully. any help will be greatly appreciated
nhramustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Unfortunately, with an IRS, there isn't the necessary clearance for a solid axle unless you do some serious sheet metal work to the rear floor/seat pans as well as the trunk pan. I would recommend modifying a newer cobra IRS to fit. That's about it.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote