Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Wasabiobys
CF Newbie

Chevy Cobalt

Anyone know what this thing Cobalt I am seeing on TV exactly is. I think it by a Street Racer.
Wasabiobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

great car! i wanted to get it although im not a fan of domestic cars... looks pretty nifty to!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:11 AM   #3
tyfi
CF Newbie

cobalt answer

yeah I know it a saturn redline but with no rear or third door sounds weird but ck the specs diff body but all the rest is the same red lines kick some serious plastic ass
tyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:41 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabiobys
Anyone know what this thing Cobalt I am seeing on TV exactly is. I think it by a Street Racer.
1. Yes, it's a car. The replacement for the Cavalier.

2. "Street Racer"? Nope, "it by" Chevrolet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfi
yeah I know it a saturn redline but with no rear or third door sounds weird but ck the specs diff body but all the rest is the same red lines kick some serious plastic ass
Really? Do ya think? Are you sure? Actually the Cobalt is BASED on the same platform (Delta) Saturn Ion. The Red Line is a performance version of the Ion. But to say "it a saturn redline but with no rear or third door" is simply ludicrous. Unless you want us to believe the 145 horse 2.2 liter Cobalt 4-door "it a" the same as an Ion Redline with the 200 horse supercharged engine. It just doesn't wash.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
1. Yes, it's a car. The replacement for the Cavalier.

2. "Street Racer"? Nope, "it by" Chevrolet.

Really? Do ya think? Are you sure? Actually the Cobalt is BASED on the same platform (Delta) Saturn Ion. The Red Line is a performance version of the Ion. But to say "it a saturn redline but with no rear or third door" is simply ludicrous. Unless you want us to believe the 145 horse 2.2 liter Cobalt 4-door "it a" the same as an Ion Redline with the 200 horse supercharged engine. It just doesn't wash.

I would'nt call it that crazy. Without the rear third door probably implies that hes speaking of a coupe. Wich in that case comparing a Redline Ion to a base model Cobalt sedan would'nt be fair. I think hes referring to the SS form of the Cobalt. The one thats also supercharged, and has 205HP. So if they are based on the same platform, I'd have to say these two cars share a striking mechanical, accesesory, and MSRP resemblance in both Redline-to-SS and Sedan-to-Sedan.

I don't quite know what your definition a "street racer" is, or why that the Cobalt made by Chevrolet prohibits it from being such; but I'd have to say this new Cobalt resembles what most people would refer to as a "streetracer" type of car.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
speedy266
CF Newbie

The cobalt should be good for sales. I like it to.

Anyone have any idea wat superchargers will gm be using in the cobolt?

Last edited by speedy266 : 10-24-2004 at 09:03 AM.
speedy266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I would'nt call it that crazy. Without the rear third door probably implies that hes speaking of a coupe. Wich in that case comparing a Redline Ion to a base model Cobalt sedan would'nt be fair. I think hes referring to the SS form of the Cobalt. The one thats also supercharged, and has 205HP. So if they are based on the same platform, I'd have to say these two cars share a striking mechanical, accesesory, and MSRP resemblance in both Redline-to-SS and Sedan-to-Sedan.

I don't quite know what your definition a "street racer" is, or why that the Cobalt made by Chevrolet prohibits it from being such; but I'd have to say this new Cobalt resembles what most people would refer to as a "streetracer" type of car.
WAKE UP! Five posts in this thread and you are the first person to use the word "crazy". Blatant attempts to put words into others mouths (or posts) is not a good way to make friends and influence people. Beyond that I would agree with your first paragraph in principle, but... To do so requires us to draw conclusions by making assumptions. If that's what someone means to say (or type), then they need to say it.

As for "my definition" of a "street racer". First off any person with a clue knows that the term "street racer" is an oxymoron of the worst kind. The street is not a place to race, but lets go with the concept of it for just a moment. The Cobalt SS has 205 advertised hp and weighs right at 3000 pounds, not exactly an advantageous power to weight ratio. It's front wheel drive and most will come out of the factory as automatics no doubt. Did I mention a 0-60 time around 7 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 15. Street racer my ass. My daily driver has the same horsepower, more torque and weighs 1700 pounds. My friends and I can't wait for an SS or Redline owner to show up in the pits with some green and show us how fast his "street racer" is.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
WAKE UP! Five posts in this thread and you are the first person to use the word "crazy". Blatant attempts to put words into others mouths (or posts) is not a good way to make friends and influence people. Beyond that I would agree with your first paragraph in principle, but... To do so requires us to draw conclusions by making assumptions. If that's what someone means to say (or type), then they need to say it.

As for "my definition" of a "street racer". First off any person with a clue knows that the term "street racer" is an oxymoron of the worst kind. The street is not a place to race, but lets go with the concept of it for just a moment. The Cobalt SS has 205 advertised hp and weighs right at 3000 pounds, not exactly an advantageous power to weight ratio. It's front wheel drive and most will come out of the factory as automatics no doubt. Did I mention a 0-60 time around 7 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 15. Street racer my ass. My daily driver has the same horsepower, more torque and weighs 1700 pounds. My friends and I can't wait for an SS or Redline owner to show up in the pits with some green and show us how fast his "street racer" is.

Hmmm, I never really thought of the word street in streetracer. Meh, I figured most people would think of a street racer as like an Sentra SE-R, Ford Focus SVT, or Mazda Speed Protege`. You know, small cars with a little "umph" in stock from. As for the crazy part, I was only playing off your use of the word ludicrous.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote