Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
LwnGy83
CF Newbie

Timing Chain problems

I'm trying to take the timing chain gears off my car. One of the gears, the crank shaft gear, is stuck, and I can't get a decent gear puller to clamp on the gear. Is there any short cuts or last ditch efforts to get this damn thing off? Please help before I pull out my hammer Thanks
LwnGy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Timing Chain problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnGy83
I'm trying to take the timing chain gears off my car. One of the gears, the crank shaft gear, is stuck, and I can't get a decent gear puller to clamp on the gear. Is there any short cuts or last ditch efforts to get this damn thing off? Please help before I pull out my hammer Thanks

Yes I know exactly the problem you're having and how to get the gear off the crank. Years of experience have taught me how to do it. However since you don't seem to think it's important to acknowledge when somebody provides help in detail (see your last post) I won't be sharing that information. And I hope nobody else does either. Basically I don't care if you ever get it apart.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:20 PM   #3
LwnGy83
CF Newbie

I apologize for not thanking you for replying to my last post. Shortly after I posted it, my computer went down and I was unable to use my computer, let alone say thank y ou for responding... Hopefully this belated Thank you will persaude you to help me in this matter. So... Thank you for replying to my post when no one else did. Sorry to the tardiness of this gratitude.
Thanks,
LwnGy83
Old 07-17-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I apologize for not thanking you for replying to my last post. Shortly after I posted it, my computer went down and I was unable to use my computer, let alone say thank y ou for responding... Hopefully this belated Thank you will persaude you to help me in this matter. So... Thank you for replying to my post when no one else did. Sorry to the tardiness of this gratitude.
Thanks,
LwnGy83

And I suppose your computer just started working the day you came across this problem. What a strange coincidence.

I'll assume you've already unbolted the cam gear and have the chain off. If not you'll never get the crank gear off. Next go under the car (makes it easier) with two big screwdrivers. Place them 180 degrees apart between the gear and the block and pry lightly alternating side to side. This will 99.9% of the time walk the gear right off. If not let me know and I'll tell you a slightly uglier way to do it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
LwnGy83
CF Newbie

Thanks so much... I will definately give it a try. Sorry again about the last post. Thank You
Old 07-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #6
LwnGy83
CF Newbie

Thanks for the tip for getting the sprocket off. Unfortunately it was stuck on alil too tightly for that to work, so I carefully wedged the arm of a gear puller behind the sprocket and pried it out. I actually had to use so much force is cracked the sprocket all the way through. So... Thanks again VWHobo

Josh
Old 07-17-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Thanks for the tip for getting the sprocket off. Unfortunately it was stuck on alil too tightly for that to work, so I carefully wedged the arm of a gear puller behind the sprocket and pried it out. I actually had to use so much force is cracked the sprocket all the way through. So... Thanks again VWHobo

Josh

You betcha Bud, anytime.