Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict

over marketing

I went and saw scary movie 4 today and was sevearly disapointed.
Thanks to the massive amount of comercials trailers online pages attached to this film by the time I payed 5 dollars to see it, I had already seen it.
The funny gags of shaq and dr phil and such were covered . There was some new stuff but you could piece the movie together with just watching a preview or two.
This happens all the time in movies with me by the time I see the movie I have saw it.
Anyone else get ticked by this?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
I went and saw scary movie 4 today and was sevearly disapointed.
Thanks to the massive amount of comercials trailers online pages attached to this film by the time I payed 5 dollars to see it, I had already seen it.
The funny gags of shaq and dr phil and such were covered . There was some new stuff but you could piece the movie together with just watching a preview or two.
This happens all the time in movies with me by the time I see the movie I have saw it.
Anyone else get ticked by this?
Only those people stupid enough to waste their money on a B-movie and expect it to be worth seeing. It looks to me as if the advertising did it's job... And nailed the expected demographic.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Only those people stupid enough to waste their money on a B-movie and expect it to be worth seeing. It looks to me as if the advertising did it's job... And nailed the expected demographic.
Well what about Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Mars Attacks? I'd pay $5 to see them. As for Scary Movie 4, I've only seen 1 preview, and I don't remember it. Maybe it'd be worth it

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I didn't like the first Scary Movie and haven't gone back to see any of the sequels. Comedies are difficult like that, you've seen the joke before and then somehow you're supposed to laugh when you see it again. It helps when there's actually a story line so you can actually get something out of the movie even when it's not that funny. But when the movie is just a bucket of stupid strictly for getting some laughs, it does get a little tricky.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Well what about Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Mars Attacks? I'd pay $5 to see them. As for Scary Movie 4, I've only seen 1 preview, and I don't remember it. Maybe it'd be worth it
If you think for even a minute that ANY Monty Python movie was a B-movie, you're sadly confused. The movies look the way they do because it was their style not because of a low budget or poor acting, although they were fairly inexpensive to make. Monty Python tries to look cheesy, and yes I have all their movies on DVD.

That being said, of course there have been and will be B-movies that are good. There are several that are personal favorites of mine. A low budget is no more a gaurantee of being a lousy movie than a big budget is of being a good one. But if you play the odds, look at the history of the prior movies and look at who was in Scary Movie 4, it should come as no surprise that it's a stinker.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
If you think for even a minute that ANY Monty Python movie was a B-movie, you're sadly confused. The movies look the way they do because it was their style not because of a low budget or poor acting, although they were fairly inexpensive to make. Monty Python tries to look cheesy, and yes I have all their movies on DVD.

That being said, of course there have been and will be B-movies that are good. There are several that are personal favorites of mine. A low budget is no more a gaurantee of being a lousy movie than a big budget is of being a good one. But if you play the odds, look at the history of the prior movies and look at who was in Scary Movie 4, it should come as no surprise that it's a stinker.
I thought a B-movie was just a movie made on a low budget.... Guess I was wrong. And I know Monty Python is supposed to look cheesy, but that also makes it cheap doesn't it?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I also thought B-Movies were movies on a budget, good ones would be Napoleon Dynamite

I've liked all of the Scary Movies until now, and I'm still considering going to see the 4th one...Then again I'm the kind of guy that laughs at stupid stuff that doesn't require much thinking
Old 04-17-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
Aondor
CF Addict

considering my other options at the theatre this weekend try to waste time scary movie was about the only movie worth 5 dollars.
compared to the wild or basic instinct etc
Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
Montage777
CF Newbie

I did not go to see it even though some one asked me to go with them. I am a big moive fan, but I only watch what i like. In April <she's the man> was so funny. I can't wait for May's coming because there are lots of good movies that are coming up, such as<D Code> and <M.I> and so on. What about you?^_^
Montage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I want to see that Poseidon movie but I rarely ever see movies in theatres due to having an extremely short attention span. If the movie isn't coming out the very weekend I see the trailers on TV, it's very unlikely that I'll watch it on the big screen. I'm also a Netflix subscriber, though. Movies are coming out faster and faster on DVD now, it's almost not worth watching in theatres.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:05 AM   #11
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
considering my other options at the theatre this weekend try to waste time scary movie was about the only movie worth 5 dollars.
compared to the wild or basic instinct etc
"The Benchwarmers" is pretty good.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

Monty Python is just out and out British pisstake of anything and everything (parody and irony), with some sophistication. I'm sitting here thinking of Eric Idle hanging on a cross and he breaks out in a song to Brian Cohen (like it's a Disney movie) in that awful cockney accent:- "Some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad, other things just make you swear and curse,...."

There you go VWHobo you can whistle all day long now.

http://www.geocities.com/televisionc...hon/bright.wav

Last edited by Wally : 04-18-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Monty Python is just out and out British pisstake of anything and everything (parody and irony), with some sophistication. I'm sitting here thinking of Eric Idle hanging on a cross and he breaks out in a song to Brian Cohen (like it's a Disney movie) in that awful cockney accent:- "Some things in life are bad, they can really make you mad, other things just make you swear and curse,...."

There you go VWHobo you can whistle all day long now.

http://www.geocities.com/televisionc...hon/bright.wav
toot-toot toot-toot-too-toot toot toot

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to type a whistled tune?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I heard it was pretty good...

I've seen all the other 3 (just didn't see them in theatres), and I wouldn't really mind seeing this one.

Also.... 5 BUCKS?! It went down alittle here not too long ago, but it's still 10 dollars... plus like $5 for a large popcorn and $4 for a large drink (free refills)... of course I take my own stuff sometimes lol. I remember when they first opened and how it only cost like $5 for a ticket....

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Also.... 5 BUCKS?! It went down alittle here not too long ago, but it's still 10 dollars... plus like $5 for a large popcorn and $4 for a large drink (free refills)... of course I take my own stuff sometimes lol. I remember when they first opened and how it only cost like $5 for a ticket....
$5.50 American for a student down here. Regular admission is about $6. I don't know about popcorn, but a bag of Sourpatch Kids is about $2. There is a larger cinema around here too that charges $9.50 for admission though.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote