Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
thejoodster
CF Newbie

problem w/CD player

Hi all;
Hope I'm in the right place.
I have a 99 Plymouth Breeze Expresso and my factory-installed CD player is getting more and more likely to spit out discs, saying: ERR.
For about the past 1.5 years, it's happened with 'homemade' discs, and I understand now that it's the player that determines whether it will accept CDRWs - so that's ok, since this is a 5+ year-old player.
It's also happened occasionally w/mainstream discs and most lately in the middle of a great books-on-tape. After playing a couple of discs without problem it started getting really persnickety, and now it won't play it at all.

I'm nervous about going to a car audio place in the event they're not clear on all the computer/wiring connections of my car, and of course, I don't imagine the dealer is very audio-savvy.

Is there a cleaner-type disc that would help? Has this happened to any of you? How've you successfully dealt with it?

I'm looking to have some understanding for when I finally do take it someplace to be fixed. Thanks in advance -
thejoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
MONARO
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoodster
Hi all;
Hope I'm in the right place.
I have a 99 Plymouth Breeze Expresso and my factory-installed CD player is getting more and more likely to spit out discs, saying: ERR.
For about the past 1.5 years, it's happened with 'homemade' discs, and I understand now that it's the player that determines whether it will accept CDRWs - so that's ok, since this is a 5+ year-old player.
It's also happened occasionally w/mainstream discs and most lately in the middle of a great books-on-tape. After playing a couple of discs without problem it started getting really persnickety, and now it won't play it at all.

I'm nervous about going to a car audio place in the event they're not clear on all the computer/wiring connections of my car, and of course, I don't imagine the dealer is very audio-savvy.

Is there a cleaner-type disc that would help? Has this happened to any of you? How've you successfully dealt with it?

I'm looking to have some understanding for when I finally do take it someplace to be fixed. Thanks in advance -

it is a piece of junk go to a good car audio store and get it replaced by the sounds of you you dont need much and could pick something up cheap. it would cost more to fix then replace a by a long way.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
thejoodster
CF Newbie

Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONARO
it is a piece of junk go to a good car audio store and get it replaced by the sounds of you you dont need much and could pick something up cheap. it would cost more to fix then replace a by a long way.

I'll check out prices - thanks for responding.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoodster
Don't worry to much about that. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it is very unlikely they would screw anything up.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
thejoodster
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Don't worry to much about that. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it is very unlikely they would screw anything up.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess it's time to start checking out ads in the newspaper....
Old 11-01-2004, 02:11 AM   #6
MONARO
CF Newbie

i wouldn't say it is very unlikely that they will stuff it up. Stick to the major stores if your a newbie to the industry. Go into the store findout what you want. Haggle the best price (the profit margin on car audio is huge dont be afraid to haggle) then go to enugher car audio store and they should beat it if they do go back to the original store and they should beat that. The stores will always go cheaper than there competerors.