Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
zook83
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18
BMWs less horses in the U.S.?

I was lookin at BMWs on an European and Asian web sites and then the U.S site.
Seems like all BMWs in the U.S. get slightly less horsepower than the rest of the world. Does anybody know why?
zook83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zook83
I was lookin at BMWs on an European and Asian web sites and then the U.S site.
Seems like all BMWs in the U.S. get slightly less horsepower than the rest of the world. Does anybody know why?

Mostly due to the emission laws (I believe)...and possibly because there are no roads that allow high speeds...except for Montana (I've heard), but who wants to go there.

I could be wrong about this.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:45 AM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Mostly due to the emission laws (I believe)...and possibly because there are no roads that allow high speeds...except for Montana (I've heard), but who wants to go there.

I could be wrong about this.
.
.

Yeah, you're about on point. America has alot of strict laws that involve imported cars. Usually most of them include, but not limited to: smaller engine displacement, de-tuned ecu, top speed limiter, lower emission, and in some rare cases completly different engines from the ones offered in the cars mothering country.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
possibly because there are no roads that allow high speeds...except for Montana (I've heard).
Yeah, Montana doesn't have a speed limit on certain roads, but it is only during certain times of the year.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
zook83
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18
I found these in Mercedes Benz, too, but only 3-4 horse differences.
However, in BMW 325s, 525s, and Z4... have 8 less horses at 184hp while the rest of the world gets 192hp. You think 8 horses make a difference in these cars?
zook83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 AM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by zook83
I found these in Mercedes Benz, too, but only 3-4 horse differences.
However, in BMW 325s, 525s, and Z4... have 8 less horses at 184hp while the rest of the world gets 192hp. You think 8 horses make a difference in these cars?
We also dont get the same HP on Asians two...
STi: Down tuned
Evo: We dont even get the best version... until later..
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:46 AM   #7
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zook83
I found these in Mercedes Benz, too, but only 3-4 horse differences.
However, in BMW 325s, 525s, and Z4... have 8 less horses at 184hp while the rest of the world gets 192hp. You think 8 horses make a difference in these cars?

Are the MBZ's you're referring to the Kompressors?

BMW doesn't do that stuff in their 325's, 525's, 530's, ...
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.