Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
eskimojoe12133
CF Newbie

Cool 1990 honda accord starts then immediately dies

My 90 accord died as I was driving down the road and I was unable to get it restarted. It will start up, but immediately dies. I also noticed that in order to get it into accessory mode I have turn the key past the point of where accessory mode is and hold it there or it will not work. I think the ignition switch might be the problem but wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts. thanks.
eskimojoe12133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
flecko5
CF Newbie

ignition problems

I have a 93 accord and am currently experiencing the same problem, i suspect it is either the ignition switch or the ignition coil. I have yet to discover the problem however any feedback would be much appreciated.
flecko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
jokool
CF Newbie

1990-93 Honda Accords

Greetings,
I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX that has been giving me grief for months. The car would not start after running for a short travel and my transmission would not shift properly when my S light would flash after the non-starting spell. I replaced the ignition coil twice thinking that's what it was Wll after experiencing a complete shut down while I was driving, that forced me to take a look at the ECU. I talked to a few people and they said it wouldn't be the ECU if my gauges shut down while I was driving, which by the way was key to this problem. My solution was resolved by replacing the ignition switch(shut down while driving) and the main relay(non-start after short drives. Seeems the relay had a contact problem which will not send power to the ECU which is the controller for the fuel injectors and spark.
jokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokool
Greetings,
I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX that has been giving me grief for months. The car would not start after running for a short travel and my transmission would not shift properly when my S light would flash after the non-starting spell. I replaced the ignition coil twice thinking that's what it was Wll after experiencing a complete shut down while I was driving, that forced me to take a look at the ECU. I talked to a few people and they said it wouldn't be the ECU if my gauges shut down while I was driving, which by the way was key to this problem. My solution was resolved by replacing the ignition switch(shut down while driving) and the main relay(non-start after short drives. Seeems the relay had a contact problem which will not send power to the ECU which is the controller for the fuel injectors and spark.
Exact same problem i had with mine at 200k. Just replaced the Main Relay and it runs like a clock again, $150 fix.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote