Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
eritam
CF Newbie

Question 1991 Ford Tempo(clicks won't start)

2.3 rebuilt starter new cyl., new starter relay, good batt., new battery terminals Clicks won't start. sometimes the battery post smokes
left it at a store need help please
Old 11-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eritam
2.3 rebuilt starter new cyl., new starter relay, good batt., new battery terminals Clicks won't start. sometimes the battery post smokes

Sometimes the battery post smokes? Hmm. That would scare the shit out of me. It also makes me think it's loose. But anyway..

Expensive mistake. You know, buying parts hoping one of them will fix your problem. People could save so much money if they just use proper diagnosis first. But anyway...

What you should do is disconnect the electrical connections at the starter and use a multimeter to test function in the off and start positions. You know, make sure you have power at the right time at the right place. You will probably find some weird phenomenon there. Back trace with the same tests towards your battery until you discover the culprit.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
eritam
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Sometimes the battery post smokes? Hmm. That would scare the shit out of me. It also makes me think it's loose. But anyway..

Expensive mistake. You know, buying parts hoping one of them will fix your problem. People could save so much money if they just use proper diagnosis first. But anyway...

What you should do is disconnect the electrical connections at the starter and use a multimeter to test function in the off and start positions. You know, make sure you have power at the right time at the right place. You will probably find some weird phenomenon there. Back trace with the same tests towards your battery until you discover the culprit.
THANX I'll try anything
Old 11-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
barretire
CF Newbie

relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eritam

change the starter relay located by the battery