Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2005, 02:36 AM   #16
JaneiR36
CF Freak

well, duh. It looks like the "combination switch" may be perpetually stuck on position 1 or 2 instead of "off." I'll have to check that out tomorrow (testing for a short of sorts, hopefully I'll know where the heck the switch is). Please post anything else you think it might be in the mean time.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:39 AM   #17
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Finding a parasitic drain can be a pain in the butt. A good wiring diagram for the car helps

How I check for this lind of stuff is, asuming the battery is charged

1. Lift the negative cable from the battery
2. Hook up a volt meter or a 12V test/touch light between the battery cable and the battery negative terminal. If using a volt meter, set to 20V scale.
3. verify operation of underhood light switch by taking it loose from the mounting and move it around and make sure it turns the light off. If it works, re-install it then unplug it. If it does not turn off , replace the switch
3. With key off, if there is approximately 12V between or if the touch light lights up, there is a problem.

Once we have established there is a problem, we then
a. look for obvious issues (underhood light not turning off, trunk light not turning off, etc.)
b. Lift the leads from the alternator. If the light goes out or no voltage, the diodes in the rectifier bridge in the alternator are bad or an internal voltage regulator is bad thus the alternator will need to be rebuilt or replaced. If there is voltage or the light lights up, then
c. Remove a fuse. If the light stays on, re-install it and remove another. Do this until the circuit which is causing the problem is identified.
d. Once the malfunctioning circuit is identified, use the wiring diagram to determine which devices are on the circuit narrowing the problem to a bad device or if a short finder may be required to find the problem

I don't think you are going to get any lamps to show if you have a voltmeter sitting between the negative post of the battery and the chassis strap.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #18
bmatias
CF Newbie

It can be what everyone says but yes it can be the starter also. I have had it happened to me 3 x when the starter is drawing to much amp then what the battery can give. Sometimes when the starter is going bad it will draw to much amp and you would need a jump to get it started in addition to a well charge battery. You battery might be going dead because the starter is just killing it. It happened to me on a Camry and 2 Mustang 5.0. If everything fails then I would pull the starter out and have it checked

Last edited by bmatias : 01-27-2005 at 05:24 PM.
bmatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 AM   #19
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I'm stuck because I have no way of knowing where that switch is. Any ideas? I even tried to open up the dash board to check the color of the wires going into all the connectors, but had a really hard time.

As I suspected, the resistance from the non-battery end of the fuse to the wire going into the LEFT headlamp was 5.5 ohms, when the lamp was supposed to be off. The one for the right side was an open circuit (as it's supposed to be). I don't know, it seems wires may be crossed somewhere, but I'm having a hard time finding where.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:49 AM   #20
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
if you fiddle with the head light switch, give it the wiggle test, maybe it's the switch.. just a thought
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #21
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I'm having trouble locating that headlight switch. Have any idea where it might be and/or how I could go about finding it?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:59 AM   #22
revv_head
CF Newbie

hi i have the same problem with myy 1990 celica the battery light flicks on and off mostly on when i am driving it starts every time i have a new battery 3 days old it still does it
Old 05-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #23
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I don't think you are going to get any lamps to show if you have a voltmeter sitting between the negative post of the battery and the chassis strap.

You will if there is power flow.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #24
JOEE!
Banned

I actually have the same problem. My Toyota Celica only starts when it wants to. i took out the starter and had it checked and it was fine, i also checked the battery and it was still good. i changed the battery posts too. still it only starts when it wants to. im not sure what the problem is.. but It sounds like its the battery. if not the battery then check the battery posts to see if they need to be changed. or check the starter cable. and check where the starter goes into the transmission and make sure theres no curosion inside where it goes into the trans.
JOEE! is offline   Reply With Quote