Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
bball4life1088
CF Newbie

what should i do to my mustang?

i have a 1994 mustang v6, and i would like to make some easy, not expensive upgrades. any suggestions?
bball4life1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
What
Banned

Realisticly, there really aren't any upgrades that you can do to your car that are cheap and get you a NOTICEABLE boost in performance. Exhaust systems only give like 5 horsepower without other expensive upgrades, and even they cost upward of $300.

The cheapest thing you can do is strip your car of materials that add weight. Without additional upgrades, I wouldn't waste my money on a cold air intake, or other stuff. And if you do anything serious, you'd need a new computer chip to take full advantage of the upgrades.

I'd save my money if I were you. Not meaning to disrespect your car, but it's a V6 Mustang. Its possible to get good power out of the V6, but wouldn't you rather the V8?

But if your willing to waste money that you won't feel, get some free flowing headers or a cold air intake. Or a K&N high performance air filter.

Last edited by What : 11-12-2004 at 01:29 AM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
What
Banned

God damn glitches
Old 11-13-2004, 04:33 AM   #4
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

See, that's where you're wrong "What"...on a V-6 mustang of that vintage, full-lenth heads and dual exhaust with a cold-air intake will make it as fast as a GT. Exhaust upgrades on those cars make noticeable differences....but hey, don't expect to get off easy. If you're willing to spend around 1500...a little at a time of course, then you can have a pretty quick V6 'stang. Mac is a company that has a great selection of V6 exhaust parts, as well as throttle body upgrades, cold-air intakes, MAF sensors, etc. These are mods that you WILL feel. Go to the Mustangs Unlimited website MustangsUnlimited.com and order a free catalog...you'll find lots of great stuff, or you can go straight to the source and check out the Mac website...either way, you'll find lots of great parts. It always helps if you have a moderate amount of mechanical ability and tools, you really save on labor that way.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
See, that's where you're wrong "What"

He is always wrong.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:39 AM   #6
What
Banned

Quote:
See, that's where you're wrong "What"...on a V-6 mustang of that vintage, full-lenth heads and dual exhaust with a cold-air intake will make it as fast as a GT..
94' V6 Mustangs produced 145 horsepower. 94' GT's produced 215 horsepower. Are you telling me that a dual exhaust, cold-air intake, and headers will add 70 hp?
If that is what you're telling me.....then...HA HAHAHAH HAHA HAHA HA HAh HAHAH HAHAHHAHAHA HAH AHA HAAHA AHAAHA AHHA HA HA HA HA!!!! YOU'RE STUPID!

It isn't that easy to gain that much horsepower.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:37 AM   #7
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

No, there won't be a 70hp gain with those mods...but you won't be very far off. The 3.8L is a potent little motor waiting to be opened up...with a full exhaust(good 2.5" duals and full length headers-no cats), and a cold air with a larger mass air meter, you should be able to pick up about 50 ponies. Keep in mind the 6-cylinder 'stang is lighter than the 5.0 powered 'stang of the same year. The rims are also smaller in diameter which equates to less rotational mass and inertia. With less weight(nearly all of it out of the front), the car will get better weight transfer off the line than a 5.0 'stang. Instead of total anihilation(sp?) of the tires, the car will hook and go. Being the owner of a 5.0 powered fox-chassis car, I can say that many vehicles with significantly less hp and torque have hung with me for the first 50 ft, then I power away. The reason for this is, they can apply full throttle power right off the line, in a fox-chassis vehicle with a 5.0, you just can't do that.

In my first post in this thread, I should have said "approximately as fast as a gt" and I should have said that you "weren't 100% correct" instead of saying that you were wrong.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #8
DaytonaTurbo
CF Newbie

The cheapest fastest and easiest and best bang for your buck upgrade is nitrous. A full system costs what? $300-400? Nothing will do more for the price than that. That said, I don't use it on my cars and never will. Headers and dual exhaust will help and all, but there is reason they made a V6 and a V8 model. Not that the GT's of that era put out that much though. And if you have trouble hooking up a 5L mustang, then you need to learn how to drive, or maybe it's time for some tires. I didn't think that V6 mustangs came with limited slip did they? What rear end gears did the V6 come with compared to the V8? My cousin's 91 Camaro 5.0 5sp has no trouble hooking up. My buddy's rebuilt 88 Trans Am GTA 350 has no trouble hooking up. But I am just curious about the rear end gears of those engines. Even if you get some decent extra power out of that V6, which is possible, because a V6 has some potential, but if your rear end gears suck, then that won't help you much. And what do you have, auto or stick?
DaytonaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
See, that's where you're wrong "What"...on a V-6 mustang of that vintage, full-lenth heads and dual exhaust with a cold-air intake will make it as fast as a GT. Exhaust upgrades on those cars make noticeable differences....but hey, don't expect to get off easy. If you're willing to spend around 1500...a little at a time of course, then you can have a pretty quick V6 'stang. Mac is a company that has a great selection of V6 exhaust parts, as well as throttle body upgrades, cold-air intakes, MAF sensors, etc. These are mods that you WILL feel. Go to the Mustangs Unlimited website MustangsUnlimited.com and order a free catalog...you'll find lots of great stuff, or you can go straight to the source and check out the Mac website...either way, you'll find lots of great parts. It always helps if you have a moderate amount of mechanical ability and tools, you really save on labor that way.

Which GT would he be 'just as fast' as with heads exhaust and a CAI? Because those mods may yield him somewhere in the neighborhood of 190-200hp max (from his baseline of 145 crank hp) and knock his 1/4 mile down from low/mid 16s to maybe low/mid 15s, and that's where I just dont see the connection where it's as fast as a GT. Weren't the 215hp 5.0 GT's running mid 14s? I know you werent referring to the 99+ GT which is capable of pulling 13.8s with 260hp. If it's going to cost him $1500 at a time to get him first down to maybe low 15s and then another $1500 just to maybe low/mid 14s why not just tell him to do a 5.0 swap? Not like those are expensive engines or not a pretty direct swap. He could go to a junkyard and choose from maybe 20-40 5.0's laying around and pay less than a grand. Maybe you meant it would be as fast as the 160hp GTs? I dont know at this point. Just seems logical to me when you have such a POS engine like his 3.8 putting out a pathetic 145hp to just get rid of the problem and start with a fresh new 302.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #10
DaytonaTurbo
CF Newbie

Another plus side of throwing in a used 5.0 is that there are lots of parts on the aftermarket to make that engine go. I've never heard of a mustang run 13.8's with stock tires though. The new 300hp stang can't even do that. Either way, if you can't do the work yourself, it's going to be big bucks either way.
DaytonaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:45 AM   #11
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaTurbo
I've never heard of a mustang run 13.8's with stock tires though.

I sure have! Even quicker...alot quicker.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:07 AM   #12
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
The cheapest fastest and easiest and best bang for your buck upgrade is nitrous. A full system costs what? $300-400? Nothing will do more for the price than that. That said, I don't use it on my cars and never will. Headers and dual exhaust will help and all, but there is reason they made a V6 and a V8 model. Not that the GT's of that era put out that much though. And if you have trouble hooking up a 5L mustang, then you need to learn how to drive, or maybe it's time for some tires. I didn't think that V6 mustangs came with limited slip did they? What rear end gears did the V6 come with compared to the V8? My cousin's 91 Camaro 5.0 5sp has no trouble hooking up. My buddy's rebuilt 88 Trans Am GTA 350 has no trouble hooking up. But I am just curious about the rear end gears of those engines. Even if you get some decent extra power out of that V6, which is possible, because a V6 has some potential, but if your rear end gears suck, then that won't help you much. And what do you have, auto or stick?

As far as nitrous being the cheapest mod for the V6, the nitrous itself may only cost a few hundred dollars, but using it with the rest of the engine components stock will tear the heck out of them, and thus many other things must be replaced to handle the sudden surge in power.

Secondly V6 engines do come with limited slip differentials, my friends 96 3.8L is limitied slip, which is a darn shame. but what can ya do.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 04:23 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Roller
As far as nitrous being the cheapest mod for the V6, the nitrous itself may only cost a few hundred dollars, but using it with the rest of the engine components stock will tear the heck out of them, and thus many other things must be replaced to handle the sudden surge in power.

Secondly V6 engines do come with limited slip differentials, my friends 96 3.8L is limitied slip, which is a darn shame. but what can ya do.
Well... um... no. No V6, or any engine for that matter come with an LSD. On the other hand some differentials do. Time for the old reality check.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Another plus side of throwing in a used 5.0 is that there are lots of parts on the aftermarket to make that engine go. I've never heard of a mustang run 13.8's with stock tires though. The new 300hp stang can't even do that. Either way, if you can't do the work yourself, it's going to be big bucks either way.
The 99+ GT is a 13.8 capable car, though rarely I have I seen them run that, they can, bone stock. Most do run 14.0s-14.1s on average on good passes.

The new GT runs in the mid 13s, heck even all the mags I've seen got 13.7-13.8 out of them.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:03 AM   #15
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well... um... no. No V6, or any engine for that matter come with an LSD. On the other hand some differentials do. Time for the old reality check.

Then someone has clearly misinformed me about what differential is which.... what do stock 97 'stangs come with.... with power from only 1 wheel? I could very easily be wrong if someone somewhere in life has told me that that type of differential was limited slip...what is it really?
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote