Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you want to have a CF member of the month system?
Yes, have it! 15 46.88%
No, dont have it! 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

CF Member of the Month

Ok! We talked about this earlier, and I have decided to put it to a vote! Vote yes to have the Member of the Month, starting January 2005, with a round table electing a outstanding member each month, and then I will make a custom sig for the winner! If the member of the month is put in place, Ill head it with Ki2AY as Assistant, and a continueously changeing group of members of the round table each month... so choose yes or no for the vote! Thanks!

Last edited by StiMan : 11-13-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Ok! We talked about this earlier, and I have decided to put it to a vote! Vote yes to have the Member of the Month, starting January 2005, with a round table electing a outstanding member each month, and then I will make a custom sig for the winner! If the member of the month is put in place, Ill head it with Ki2ay as Assistant, and a continueously changeing group of members of the round table each month... so choose yes or no for the vote! Thanks!

I think it's a really good idea. I vote it a definite yes.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh
Old 11-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
SuperJew
I like pie.

sure! i've thought about it and i'd go for it. I can act as the Mod Liasion...you know, putting said graphic in the recipient's sig and all that.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
Old 11-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

looks good so far. 4-0. I'm in.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 11-13-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
sure! i've thought about it and i'd go for it. I can act as the Mod Liasion...you know, putting said graphic in the recipient's sig and all that.
Cool! You are in!

Members of Constant CF Member of the Month:
StiMan: President, Graphic Designer
Ki2ay: Assistant
SuperJew: Moderator Liasion
Who else wants to become a part of it? (If you join you are taken out of the running for MOTM...

Old 11-14-2004, 03:23 AM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned

We should definately have it. A lot of forums do. It adds excitement and fun. Maybe it will ever straighten a few of us out and give some people something to brag about.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
We should definately have it. A lot of forums do. It adds excitement and fun. Maybe it will ever straighten a few of us out and give some people something to brag about.

You mean other than who has the biggest penis, best car, best dad, etc?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Old 11-14-2004, 05:34 AM   #8
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

All I want to know is why does Steve-o get to be the graphics designer??

~j/k
Old 11-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48

~j/k

Because as I heard he is getting some snazzy graphic editing software for christmas and he wants to feel special.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I guess the operative question here is "who give's a f*ck?". I mean come on, member of the month? If your life is so empty that this will add excitement and fun maybe it's time to log off the internet and go do something with your life.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 11-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Ya know, I just read this crap thread again after posting and have these questions to ask. If the "member of the month" is going to be elected by a round table, who elects the round table? Is the voting going to be done publicly where all forum members can see the results or in private where it can be skewed at will? What are the criteria for being the "motm"? Is it an objective criteria such as post count for example? If so, does a bunch of posts make someone a good member or just a post whore? If the criteria is subjective then it becomes a popularity contest. Just because someone is popular does it make them a good member? I don't think so.

Ya see boys, here's the problem. Everyone in this thread that thinks it's a good idea is a teenybopper. That's not meant as a put down, it's just a fact. As such I'm sure you haven't given this much critical thought beyond saying "that sounds kewl". Well let me tell you, you're right, it does but... It's also not a realistic undertaking. In the long run it will only cause heartache, grief and rancor among the people who think they deserve the award and maybe even do but don't win it for whatever reason.

Bottom line is it's not a good idea. Shut of your computers and go chase girls.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-14-2004, 09:21 PM   #12
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48

~j/k
Hadnt seen you around in a while.. Ill make the general pic and give it to you to make it have animation... sound good?

vwhobo:
1) The Roundtable is elected by the constant members of MOTM (Me, Ki2AY, Voda, SJ) by the basis of overall helpfulness, quickness to help, dependability related to correctness of info given, etc.
2) "Skewed at will" on a forum Ill make on SuddenLaunch.
3) Popularity has nothing to do with it, overall correctness is very important. By chooseing a changing group to do the voting (members of the constant group cant vote) those chosen can be taken from different groups (new or old members, post whores, non post whores... etc.) we can be sure to have a unbiased and correct answer to who is the CF Member of the Month.

The choice as to whether we do it or not is here. The people of CF can vote on this for 2 weeks, and if the margin is slim, or if it is chosen not to be done after that time it wont be done if it is the latter, and a new vote will be done if it is the previous. I dont want a huge war to come out of this, but lots of Forums and people do this as a means to control the masses...

Old 11-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
1) The Roundtable is elected by the constant members of MOTM (Me, Ki2AY, Voda, SJ) by the basis of overall helpfulness, quickness to help, dependability related to correctness of info given, etc.
You still haven't answered the question, who voted for them to be the members. Oh, that's right, nobody, the just elected themselves.

Quote:
2) "Skewed at will" on a forum Ill make on SuddenLaunch.
Huh?

Quote:
3) Popularity has nothing to do with it, overall correctness is very important. By chooseing a changing group to do the voting (members of the constant group cant vote) those chosen can be taken from different groups (new or old members, post whores, non post whores... etc.) we can be sure to have a unbiased and correct answer to who is the CF Member of the Month.
Really? Are you sure? Who determines the "overall correctness"? How can something that is judged 100% subjectively be considered "unbiased and correct"? The very nature of it makes it biased and incorrect. The same way as the members were chosen that is biased and incorrect.

Quote:
The choice as to whether we do it or not is here. The people of CF can vote on this for 2 weeks, and if the margin is slim, or if it is chosen not to be done after that time it wont be done if it is the latter, and a new vote will be done if it is the previous. I dont want a huge war to come out of this, but lots of Forums and people do this as a means to control the masses...
So if it's shot down the subject drops but if the vote is close you'll have another vote. Will you keep voting until you get the outcome you want? Who made these decisions? Was anyone on the forum notified of these decisions before they were made? Whe decides the definition of slim margin? This is exactly the type of crap that kills clubs, associations and even businesses. A small group of people comes along and makes an arbitrary decision for a group of people. As of this writing the forum has over 6,500 members and five or six of you are doing this based on what demand. You're little self appointed group is less than one tenth of one percent of the membership of this forum. Don't you think it's just a little presumptuous of you to make this part of the forum.

People here from time to time have told me that I have a large ego but you children really take the cake.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #14
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You still haven't answered the question, who voted for them to be the members. Oh, that's right, nobody, the just elected themselves.
Who chose to make this forum? Was that person appointed by a democratic system? No. Who said that I could become a member here? No one. If the people of CF want to put it to a vote as to who does what that is fine by me. I dont even have to head it or whatever, I am just saying we are doing something that other members said sounded worthwhile.

Quote:
Who determines the "overall correctness"?
The members of the re-elected board that actually chooses the person to recieve the award.

Quote:
How can something that is judged 100% subjectively be considered "unbiased and correct"?
By useing the collective ideas of a group that is taken from different points of CF. Not just by chooseing my friends, or post whores, or mods. By getting a variety of people to be on the board.

Quote:
So if it's shot down the subject drops but if the vote is close you'll have another vote. Will you keep voting until you get the outcome you want?

No, the point of another vote is so that if the idea of MOTM wins by a slim margin Ill make a new vote so that if they really do want it or not it will be obivious. If it looses by a small margin or a large one it doesnt get done, if it wins by a slim margin, then I think it would not be fair to have something that is not supported by a large amount. If MOTM wins by a small percentage then Ill do another vote to make sure it wins by a large margin, or it looses by a small or a large margin. I just dont want to cause trouble.

Quote:
Who made these decisions?
Seeing as though I made the decision to put it to a democratic vote as to whether or not this carries, I made the decisions relating to the ideas for the voting process of MOTM.

Quote:
Was anyone on the forum notified of these decisions before they were made?
No. I made up the idea of creating the board (not the idea of MOTM) and the chooseing process, so I decided that I had the right to create the process to bring it to life.

Quote:
Whe decides the definition of slim margin?
Ill though out an idea: how about 5%? Sound good?

Quote:
This is exactly the type of crap that kills clubs, associations and even businesses. A small group of people comes along and makes an arbitrary decision for a group of people. As of this writing the forum has over 6,500 members and five or six of you are doing this based on what demand. You're little self appointed group is less than one tenth of one percent of the membership of this forum. Don't you think it's just a little presumptuous of you to make this part of the forum.

We have not made a decision. If I simply said: "CF MOTM starts in January 2005." That would be making a decision, I put it to a vote. So that the people of CF make the decision, not me. I have not made it a part of the forum. I have said that it would be cool to have, and through out the idea of the logistics in the form of a vote.

We dont need to fight over this. If it doesnt pass, it doesnt pass. Thats fine, but we dont need to argue so much! I am trying to just defend my point. If it is decided that it shouldnt happen it wont. I dont want to destroy CF; I was thinking that this would perhaps put down more of the mutiny in the members.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:14 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

Alright.

Quote:
I guess the operative question here is "who give's a f*ck?". I mean come on, member of the month? If your life is so empty that this will add excitement and fun maybe it's time to log off the internet and go do something with your life.

Our lives may not be so empty as to need "MOTM" for excitement and fun, but this forum sure as hell does. Don't speak to us about logging off and doing something with our lives. After all, you have the highest number of posts, which is fine, but that pretty much disqualifies you from leading that type of discussion.

Quote:
As such I'm sure you haven't given this much critical thought beyond saying "that sounds kewl". Well let me tell you, you're right, it does but... It's also not a realistic undertaking. In the long run it will only cause heartache, grief and rancor among the people who think they deserve the award and maybe even do but don't win it for whatever reason.

It's safe to say I was the first to say to do this in another thread. Go find it. Having said that, there are thousands upon thousands of forums on the internet that have this member of the week, month, and year crap. Life is full of games and the like. There are winners, there are losers. I'll go so far as to say this, even though this is corny. Everyone who tried is a winner. The losers are the ones who bring heartache and grief upon themselves over losing. It's part of life. Get over it.

Quote:
A small group of people comes along and makes an arbitrary decision for a group of people. As of this writing the forum has over 6,500 members and five or six of you are doing this based on what demand. You're little self appointed group is less than one tenth of one percent of the membership of this forum. Don't you think it's just a little presumptuous of you to make this part of the forum.

There are over 6,500 members on this forum, however, maybe, say, 20-30 actually visit this place and post. That's a wild guess, give or take. So no, it's not really presumptuous. As I write this, we have had 9 votes on the subject. Give or take that equates about 1/2-1/3 of the active members of this forum.

I do agree that it's crap for a few members to decide all these rules. I think it should be like this: I think the "round table" should be the moderators, and they should make up the rules. This is my opinion.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 11-14-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Closed Thread